Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 07:53 AM

5 posts, read 5,900 times

Advertisements

I'm on a search for the most ideal place for me. I'd greatly appreciate some help, as I've been living outside the US for some time now.

I'm young and currently pursuing a degree in Music Education; my current home of residence is FL.

Here's what I want in a location:

1) Preferably in the SE. My family is primarily from the South, so I wouldn't want to live far away from there. I am willing to look at places a little further away, but the farthest west is probably Oklahoma, and the only northern areas I am willing to look at are some places in the NE. Plus I like it warm!

2) Not too big, not too small. I don't want to live in a huge metropolis like Atlanta, but I don't want to live in somewhere like Chumuckla either. A fairly low cost of living would be nice too, but I can compromise on that.

3) Proximity to a Symphony Orchestra. I don't need it to be the New York Philharmonic, but I'd like to be within an hour or so of a symphony orchestra. Other things like some theatre would be nice, but I really want a symphony orchestra.

4) Pretty geography. I like rolling hills and mountains. I do not like wide-open flat lands. Although I also like the coast, I realize you will not find elevation and the coast in the SE. Really, I just want the land to not look like any generic location in the US.

5) A decent downtown/town center.While I neither need nor want a huge, bustling downtown with clubs and the like, I would like a cute town center that is more reminiscent of a European style town. What I mean by this would be a clean area with shops and other things nestled together in close proximity, maybe with a square or something similar. This is something I am willing to compromise on.

6) Proximity to outdoor activities. In enjoy backpacking, hiking, camping etc. I'd like to live somewhere where there's not a lot of urban sprawl around, so I can go and do these things without traveling a long ways.

7) Politically/socially stable. I don't want to live somewhere where this is a lot of discontent with the local government, after living in my current location this is something I have grown to dislike considerably. Additionally, I'm fairly moderate politically so I would like to live an area that reflects this; I know this might be a little unrealistic though, so I'm willing to compromise as long as the area is not predominately far-left. Also, I'd rather not be in an area that feels economically destitute.

8) Minimal congestion. I tend to like the countryside more than urban centers, so I'd probably be living outside the city. I'd like a location that does not have a lot of congestion traffic-wise.

9) Pleasant Culture. I'd like to live somewhere that has good food! I like food. Also, some unique cultural traits of the area (ie. history, architectural styles, etc.) would be nice, although I'm willing to compromise.

10) Good people. Lastly, I want an area with nice people. I don't want to feel like a tourist all the time, so I want somewhere that has welcoming people who I'll genuinely like. I want to be in an area where people are polite.

Even if they don't match some of the criteria above, some ideas on places in FL would be good too.

To give y'all a better idea of what I'm looking for, some areas that I've researched that seem to fit are:

Greenville, SC
Roanoke, VA
Nashville, TN (I hear its getting congested and crowded though, since so many people are moving there)
Asheville, NC (NC pretty is bad for teachers though, and I hear it has the same problem above)
Concord, NH (Its not in the SE and its cold!)

Let me know what you think of the above locations too.

I know its a tall order, but I'm hoping I can get some good suggestions about some locations.

Thank y'all for helping!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 09:12 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Given all of your criteria the first place I thought of was Charlottesville VA. It hits pretty much all of your criteria and would highly recommend a visit. Downtown Charlottesville

Old 11-06-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Given all of your criteria the first place I thought of was Charlottesville VA. It hits pretty much all of your criteria and would highly recommend a visit. Downtown Charlottesville
Charlottesville looks really nice! Thanks for that, I'll look some more into the area.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:59 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,547,811 times
I hear Charlottesville is getting crowded as all hell, though.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:42 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,012,251 times
You can look North on the I75 corridor outside Atlanta it meets many of your requirements.

Finding a job might be a issue, as you get into smaller area, the school teacher population Especially for a Music Teachers gets slim, One or two teachers per district, Many Share one teacher between Middle & HS's and One who will do several elementary schools.

Also Up GA400 I575 I85 I985 might meet your requirements.

https://www.atlantasymphony.org/

Old 11-06-2015, 02:18 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Another VA city that may work is Harrisonburg. James Madison University has its own symphony and it seems to fit everything else you are looking for.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:00 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,096,166 times
How about Chattanooga or Knoxville...

Old 11-07-2015, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
You can look North on the I75 corridor outside Atlanta it meets many of your requirements.

Finding a job might be a issue, as you get into smaller area, the school teacher population Especially for a Music Teachers gets slim, One or two teachers per district, Many Share one teacher between Middle & HS's and One who will do several elementary schools.

Also Up GA400 I575 I85 I985 might meet your requirements.

https://www.atlantasymphony.org/

Thanks for the input. I looked at the area on Google Maps, and it seem like there's a lot of urban sprawl though. Also, the geography is a little bland. There is the possibility that a few of my family members would be relocating to the area, making it a more attractive area for me, but its not quite what I'm looking for right now.

Old 11-07-2015, 04:31 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Blacksburg VA may also be a good fit for what you are looking for and it isn't too far from Roanoke.

Old 11-07-2015, 05:32 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
I hear Charlottesville is getting crowded as all hell, though.
"Getting crowded as hell", compared to what...?? It's population is just 44,000 and has grown by 4,000 people in 25 years. It's hardly out of control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.