Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 07:08 PM

230 posts, read 343,194 times

Advertisements

I'm white, wife is black. We have a son. I see all kinds of info on interest in interracial dating, but I'm not dating, so it is not to helpful. It also doesn't neccesarily give any indication of how the populace might feel about interracial families. Dating outside of your race is a little different than marrying and having kids.

South and most of midwest gets to hot. I have no desire to go back near where I was raised in Florida and I don't think we would care for the extremely in your face liberal economic and social policies of the west coast, not to mention the ridiculous cost of living.

We are currently living near Des Moines, IA. We came for work, but in at most 5 years we are leaving and will be looking for a different type of city.

Where should I be looking?

My wife is a highly educated prodessional and I would like to give her and my son the best and most comfortable environment to thrive.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 07:35 PM

93,235 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice Malone View Post
I'm white, wife is black. We have a son. I see all kinds of info on interest in interracial dating, but I'm not dating, so it is not to helpful. It also doesn't neccesarily give any indication of how the populace might feel about interracial families. Dating outside of your race is a little different than marrying and having kids.

South and most of midwest gets to hot. I have no desire to go back near where I was raised in Florida and I don't think we would care for the extremely in your face liberal economic and social policies of the west coast, not to mention the ridiculous cost of living.

We are currently living near Des Moines, IA. We came for work, but in at most 5 years we are leaving and will be looking for a different type of city.

My wife is a highly educated prodessional and I would like to give her and my son the best and most comfortable environment to thrive.

Thanks
What about the Twin Cities? Columbus OH comes to mind as well. If you didn't mind cost of living, I'd say the DC area and parts of NE NJ too. College towns or college areas of cities(as well as surrounding neighborhoods/communities) may work as well. If you want the Northeast, perhaps look into those college towns/college areas in metros in the region.

Also, when you say that you are looking for a different type of city, what do you mean by that?

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-28-2014 at 08:15 PM..

Old 09-28-2014, 08:00 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,616,432 times
Quote:

It's tough to say. You pretty much eliminated most of your options with you not wanting to live in the south, midwest or the west coast. If you're trying to live in the Northeast, it does get humid and hot in the summer and it is just as liberal as the west. But there would be many opportunities there with your wife being an educated professional. I do suggest for you to give the west coast a chance however. Yes, states like California are liberal but the pay scale and the job opportunities and the many families that look like yours are endless and greater than your other options. Colorado, Arizona, Oregon, & Washington offer similar opportunities (with less diverse demographics) and those are some options I would look into and consider as well.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:14 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,354 times
Quote:

Thanks
If you are willing to give CA a try, I would say Sacramento. It's more moderate there politically than Coastal California but I see plenty of IR dating/marriage there. Plus, the Cost of Living in Sacramento isn't insane like in the Bay Area or LA.

Other than that, you eliminated most of your options. Your only good bet outside of CA would probably be Houston Texas (very diverse metro area like the Bay Area) but not liberal or super conservative like the Deep South.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:45 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,260,421 times
West Coast would be your best bet. Most people don't give IR families a second glance.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:18 AM

93,235 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Communities with a military presence may actually work as well.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:50 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,961 times
Denver, Minneapolis. You should also look on the northern periphery of the south if you can Virginia, Carolina and Tennessee Metros. Oklahoma City or Dallas. And I agree military towns as well always a good bet. In fact check into Virginia Beach/Norfolk heavily military and fairly moderate temperature wise.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:35 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,480,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Communities with a military presence may actually work as well.
Basically, this is the answer.

As long as you live relatively close to an Army base (especially the Army), you'll have options.

I was married to a soldier once and moved around in areas that don't get talked about a lot (Pensacola, Dayton, Burlington VT) and never had a problem.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:01 AM

230 posts, read 343,194 times
Thanks for all your help guys.

When I say a different type of city than Des Moines I just mean something with a more developed infrastructure, a more worldly populace, and more goods and services. There is nothing wrong with Des Moines. I personally think its head and shoulders above Omaha and maybe even better than KC.

I'm not eliminating all of the Midwest to who said that. Just the extremely hot parts like Oklahoma. My wife has family there and the weather can be rough. They have had issues with racism in Tulsa and OKC too.

I love Minneapolis, but I know my wife and I'm not sure she would be down with those winters. It's definitely high on the list though.

I think my wife would also like a decent sized jamaican or Caribbean community too. She was born in Jamaica and raised in MIA. I know she really misses the food and markets.

West coast is farther away from everyone too. Family in FL, NYC, NO, NC, DC, OK.

What about DC or Charlotte? Somewhere in that South/mid Atlantic region?

Old 09-30-2014, 08:10 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,888,916 times
Okc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.