Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the greatest state in the northeastern USA? Which hits above its weight?
Connecticut 2 8.70%
Delaware 1 4.35%
Maine 3 13.04%
Maryland 9 39.13%
Massachussetts 3 13.04%
New Jersey 1 4.35%
New Hampshire 1 4.35%
Rhode Island 2 8.70%
Vermont 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 04:48 PM

91 posts, read 117,764 times

Advertisements

I am fascinated by the small states in the northeast. Pennsylvania and New York especially are interesting (the fact that New York was Dutch and has a downstate/upstate divide is very cool!) but I think the small northeastern states are well managed and hit above their weight. I think Maryland has to be one the best places I have been to in terms of overall "everything" and I also think Massachusetts is up there. What I mean is being able to go to mountains, beaches, decent weather, access to all the major cities (NYC, DC, Philadelphia, Boston, Baltimore) but also a wide range of countryside and urban areas. Of course economics comes into play. So what do you think is the greatest small northeastern state? Which one hits above its weight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 05:02 PM

342 posts, read 511,219 times
Maryland is the little guy that can bench 350.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:16 PM

867 posts, read 1,398,291 times
Somebodies been studying the many strategies of Jay Jay.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:52 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oranje1 View Post
I am fascinated by the small states in the northeast. Pennsylvania and New York especially are interesting (the fact that New York was Dutch and has a downstate/upstate divide is very cool!) but I think the small northeastern states are well managed and hit above their weight. I think Maryland has to be one the best places I have been to in terms of overall "everything" and I also think Massachusetts is up there. What I mean is being able to go to mountains, beaches, decent weather, access to all the major cities (NYC, DC, Philadelphia, Boston, Baltimore) but also a wide range of countryside and urban areas. Of course economics comes into play. So what do you think is the greatest small northeastern state? Which one hits above its weight?
I live in Maryland and enjoy all of the small northeastern states. New Jersey, Maryland, Connecticut and Massachusetts are the best in my opinion, in no particular order.

New York City and Washington DC are the two cities I feel most connected with, but Boston and Philadelphia have a lot of good points as well. A solid region overall.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:11 PM

239 posts, read 350,425 times
New Hampshire, there is no state more beautiful in the country.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:15 PM

233 posts, read 334,230 times
I've never really thought of NJ, MA, and MD as "small states" per se. They are geographically small but are major states in the sense of having pretty large populations.

That being said, I like CT, but thats partly due to having family roots in New Haven

Old 10-18-2014, 05:11 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,035,527 times
Massachusetts doesn't really belong in this poll imo.

Massachusetts is larger than Connecticut, Rhode Island and Delaware combined, its also the 14th most populated state in the USA and the 3rd most dense plus you got a major city with Boston.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:53 AM

10,753 posts, read 23,828,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway Freak View Post
New Hampshire, there is no state more beautiful in the country.
I know this is subjective but seriously I could think of ten other states more beautiful than New Hampshire. Hawaii, Alaska, Colorado, and Washington, just to name a few. Heck I even prefer its neighboring state Maine, especially its coastline.

My choice was Rhode Island, for being the size of a county in most other states it offers a lot with Providence, Newport, the finest beaches in New England, and my favorite island back east being Block Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.