Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2014, 02:02 PM

7 posts, read 13,929 times

Advertisements

Howdy,

I have been using the research tools on City-Data, but have now decided to start with the forums to see if I can get some firsthand knowledge from the group.

My wife and I are life long Texans. No children, and we both are in our forties. We love Texas, but the extended drought has us concerned about water in the future. I love to fly fish and we take numerous trips a year in search of our perfect, 2nd chapter home.

We would love to move northwest. The states on our short list are 1) Oregon, 2) Washington, 3) Colorado, 4) Idaho, 5) Montana, 6) Wyoming, 7) Utah.

We plan to buy property on a river/stream that is fishable as close to year round as possible. Coming from Texas, I don't know if a place with a HUGE amount of snow and days under 0 degrees is feasible. We would like 4 seasons, a bit more rain, some snow, and a bit cooler than Texas.

We loved Portland, OR and it surrounding areas but have heard the stories of rain for 8 straight months. Don't know if I want to risk seasonal affective disorder.

Recently visited Bozeman, MT and had a great time but am concerned that it might be a little too cold in the winters for us.

We prefer forests and mountains over deserts and plains. We'd like to be in a smaller town that is not longer than a couple hour drive away from a bigger town with airport, medical centers, etc.

I guess overall we are looking for beautiful scenery, friendly people, great fishing and outdoor activities.

The US is a big, big country and I need to get some help in narrowing down where to investigate. Thanks in advance for any information that is provided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 02:11 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,466,947 times
You should look into the Medford/Ashland and Bend areas, both in Oregon. The former is a bit closer to the coast and thus a bit rainier, but both have very nice climates.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:44 AM

7 posts, read 13,929 times
Thanks for the response. We drove from Portland to Bend a couple of months ago. Loved the fishing in Bend, but it is a little too "high desert" for us. I have heard good things about Ashland, but have not had the opportunity to visit.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:12 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,149,892 times
Don't believe the "8 months of rain" story. It's not true. You get 8 months of mostly cloudy weather, but not so much rain.

But Southern Oregon, something along the Rogue River, is a beautiful area.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:09 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,738,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Don't believe the "8 months of rain" story. It's not true. You get 8 months of mostly cloudy weather, but not so much rain.

But Southern Oregon, something along the Rogue River, is a beautiful area.
That makes it worse. I used to live in Portland. Beautiful area but it is cloudy and overcast many months out of the year. Sure there is never really hard rain but the constant drizzle gets to you. Than you get that one day break of sun but kind of depressed knowing that it will only last a day and then 6-7 more days of clouds.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:13 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,149,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
That makes it worse. I used to live in Portland. Beautiful area but it is cloudy and overcast many months out of the year. Sure there is never really hard rain but the constant drizzle gets to you. Than you get that one day break of sun but kind of depressed knowing that it will only last a day and then 6-7 more days of clouds.
The fabled "constant drizzle" may get to you, but that doesn't mean it would to everyone, if it even existed. Clouds never have bothered me, but then I work. When you're inside most days, what does it matter if there're clouds or not. However, the point was that the "8 months of rain" does not exist. At least, not in the implication that it's constant.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:16 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,738,816 times
Clouds may not bother you, but they bother others. Just telling it like it is also.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:45 PM

5,522 posts, read 8,776,763 times
If you want to think Southeast instead of Northwest, you should look at the Blue Ridge and Appalachian smaller cities, whoich seem to have everything you want: Knoxville TN, Asheville NC, Roanoke VA are probably the most prominent, though all have diffferent vibes to them. Lots of streams, lakes, mountains and such around this area. Mild winters and warm but not horribly hot and humid summers because you're in or near the mountains. Big airports in Charlotte, Atlanta and DC, depending on where exactly you want to be. Caveat: I don't know the employment situation in these places so you'd have to check that out. But it's a part of the country you should consider for what you want.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:12 PM

2 posts, read 2,279 times
Look into the areas around Lewiston, Idaho. Do some research on the fishing in this area and the climate around Lewiston. It may be just what your looking for.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:41 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
If you are concerned about drought, any interior area is out. Rocky Mountain states from New Mexico to Montana are dry. Most of the Pacific states are dry and drought prone (if not currently in extreme drought) unless you are quite close to the coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.