Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 07:56 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
Can you make a thread that does not link NC and VA its becoming annoying

I personally think the OP is on a mission to get people to think NC and VA are separate from "the deep South." LOL. It is getting old for me also. NC may as well be the deep South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 08:17 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,494,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I personally think the OP is on a mission to get people to think NC and VA are separate from "the deep South." LOL. It is getting old for me also. NC may as well be the deep South.
No, and no. Tennessee isn't Deep South in the long run, along with Arkansas and Kentucky. The only area that is a little Deep South in NC has to be the eastern part of the state. If I'm continuing to "link" North Carolina and Virginia together, I'll stop. I just didn't think it would bother anyone in the first place. Really, if they irritate you, just ignore them in the first place! I'm a NC native, but I also do a ton of traveling around Virginia. I have some family in VA right over the NC/VA border, as well. I think the two are similar states in many regards, but it seems like a ton of people (mainly Virginians) tend to disagree on this site. I get that, Virginians have historically looked down on North Carolinians ("backwoods tar heels") and I guess that's still the case for some people. I'm also not denying the fact that North Carolina is similar to South Carolina, Tennessee, and Georgia.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:32 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,352,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
No, and no. Tennessee isn't Deep South in the long run, along with Arkansas and Kentucky. The only area that is a little Deep South in NC has to be the eastern part of the state. If I'm continuing to "link" North Carolina and Virginia together, I'll stop. I just didn't think it would bother anyone in the first place. Really, if they irritate you, just ignore them in the first place! I'm a NC native, but I also do a ton of traveling around Virginia. I have some family in VA right over the NC/VA border, as well. I think the two are similar states in many regards, but it seems like a ton of people (mainly Virginians) tend to disagree on this site. I get that, Virginians have historically looked down on North Carolinians ("backwoods tar heels") and I guess that's still the case for some people. I'm also not denying the fact that North Carolina is similar to South Carolina, Tennessee, and Georgia.
Thought this thread was about college football. Not how North Carolina is more similar to Virginia and how you don't underdand how it's not similar to South Carolina.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:33 PM

867 posts, read 1,398,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
If anything, it's the other way around. The Virginia and North Carolina schools actually look down on the SEC because academically, they're historically way behind the ACC (in fact, it's the chief reason why schools like UNC and UVA aren't in the SEC).

That said, times they are a-changin'. Many of the SEC schools are starting to gain some ground on the rest of the pack academically (heck, they're already ahead of the Big 12) and the ACC has whored itself out to the almighty dollar, first by inviting Louisville (arguably the weakest school academically of all major conferences) and now having some fake class scandals going on at UNC and Syracuse (and probably more).
UVA is an academic school and would look to go to the Big 10 way before SEC. VTech is the football school that is an ACC newcomer (former Big East) and probably wouldn't care one way or the other.

And the bolded is why you should never link UNC with the school that Jefferson built. It is a prestigious public school more along the lines of a Duke(private-school).

Old 10-29-2014, 08:37 PM

89 posts, read 120,611 times
Feels like I seen this post before, just worded a bit different. We get it, the two states are basically twins, are you happy now? Of course Virginia is like the big brother of the two

Old 10-30-2014, 03:43 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Nope. I never give y'all a thought.

As a Tennessee fan, I have enough to worry about.

aint that the truth. We have not even won a SEC game yet.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:38 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
This might be the silliest thread yet. Do Southerners think less of states because those states don't have members of a college sports conference? Huh?

What do states have to do with colleges, and why would college sports (and particularly membership in a geographically determined sports conference) determine the reputation of a state?

Old 10-30-2014, 08:46 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,606,364 times
I look down upon states that don't have a Big Ten team. But only in the sense that north is "up" and south is "down."

Old 10-30-2014, 09:54 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
Just like that south atlantic thread, just what I thought. This is exactly why I said NC and VA are clearly mid-atlantic, not south atlantic, even tho they are part of the southern states.

Then again another thread should be made about the ACC to contradict this one, because a lot of south atlantic universities are in the ACC as well.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:29 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,494,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Just like that south atlantic thread, just what I thought. This is exactly why I said NC and VA are clearly mid-atlantic, not south atlantic, even tho they are part of the southern states.

Then again another thread should be made about the ACC to contradict this one, because a lot of south atlantic universities are in the ACC as well.
The majority of the ACC schools are in the south, and NC and VA are southern states, not mid-atlantic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.