Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 12:36 PM

5 posts, read 6,291 times

Advertisements

I am a young man in my 30's, I live in Southern California, I was born and raised here, and I don't really have family outside of So Cal, and I hate it here, and I want to relocate. There are no blue collar jobs, only sales jobs, fast food jobs, and temp jobs. The people who live here are arrogant and very snobby, and they believe that Southern California is some type of paradise and that everybody wants to live here. I'm tired of being stuck in traffic everyday on my way to my restaurant job, I severely need a change of scenery, so my question is what U.S. state should I relocate to in order to meet down to earth people such as myself and to find steady blue collar, or no collar employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 01:33 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Michigan? What else are you looking for in a community?

Old 12-02-2014, 01:52 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Texas, specifically Houston.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:08 PM

172 posts, read 255,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbid Man View Post
I am a young man in my 30's, I live in Southern California, I was born and raised here, and I don't really have family outside of So Cal, and I hate it here, and I want to relocate. There are no blue collar jobs, only sales jobs, fast food jobs, and temp jobs. The people who live here are arrogant and very snobby, and they believe that Southern California is some type of paradise and that everybody wants to live here. I'm tired of being stuck in traffic everyday on my way to my restaurant job, I severely need a change of scenery, so my question is what U.S. state should I relocate to in order to meet down to earth people such as myself and to find steady blue collar, or no collar employment.
I've been researching places with blue collars jobs as my husband and I are looking to move somewhere colder up north from the south. My husband loves working in construction. Holland, MI increased by nearly 30% in manufacturing/construction jobs last year, Grand Rapids, MI increased by 20%, and Albany, NY increased by around 22% last year. I'd look into these areas. Cost of living would be MUCH lower than in Cali too.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:16 PM

5 posts, read 6,291 times
Thank you all for your replies. I'm kinda comparing Indianapolis to Minneapolis to Grand Rapids right now. Indy and Minn. seem like the best place as far as what i'm looking for in terms of work and change of scenery, and the cost of living is also way lower than it is in CA. Grand Rapids seems like a nice, smaller city as well, but Indy and Minn seem to have more amenities such as public transportation, and a broader cultural scene, they also seem to be more open minded and more diverse as well.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:01 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,392,303 times
North Dakota. Oil and all pays VERY well.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:38 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,092,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
North Dakota. Oil and all pays VERY well.
Yep. That's exactly what I was going to say. Williston, ND is ground zero for blue collar work. If you have hands, you're basically guaranteed to get work on the oil fields up there.

That being said, it's neither an exciting nor a pleasant place to live, and there's a housing shortage so you'll either have to hope your company gets you a spot in the man camps, live in your car illegally, or pay astronomical rents.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:41 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,975,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Yep. That's exactly what I was going to say. Williston, ND is ground zero for blue collar work. If you have hands, you're basically guaranteed to get work on the oil fields up there.

That being said, it's neither an exciting nor a pleasant place to live, and there's a housing shortage so you'll either have to hope your company gets you a spot in the man camps, live in your car illegally, or pay astronomical rents.
Darn. Got to it before I could.

I'm not sure what kind of work someone with NO experience in that sort of thing could get, but it is worth a shot to ask someone that would know..

Williston, North Dakota gets my vote.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:51 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,211,665 times
Philadelphia. It's always been a blue-collar city, but now it's on the rise! It's affordable--probably the only affordable major city in the BosWash corridor, with close access to Washington DC and New York City, the Jersey Shore beaches, and nature in western PA (the Poconos, etc). Pittsburgh is a 5 hour drive away, and there's also lots to do in Philly and its surrounding suburbs itself. The area is really cleaning up thanks to gentrification--a lot of NYers are moving here because it's cheap. While there are certainly things I don't care for here, I think Philadelphia is really improving and the downtown (Center City) is really impressive.

I actually moved here from San Diego this summer. I do miss the beach/weather/scenery and close access to LA, but it was way too dry, expensive, and sprawly out there. The public transit/walkability here is good.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:30 PM

822 posts, read 2,203,212 times
A lot of my co-workers that moved here from San Antonio, Texas always speak highly of how easy it was to get a job there and how there is a lot of employment opportunity. I've only visited a few times but it seems like a really neat city and from what my co-workers tell me the cost of living is good as well. It may be worth a look into for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.