Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 11:31 AM

884 posts, read 1,034,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I think it also has something to do with crime. Iowa has virtually no crime, and a fairly stable population base. It's growing, but not by leaps and bounds so people don't even know who anyone is anymore.

Look at the Caucuses, random people inviting random strangers right into their homes to discuss politics!
In 2005 the entire state only had 40 homicides!! That's just 1.3 per 100,000. The Des Moines metro with over 550,000 people only logged 5 murders.

Even states like Nebraska with only 60% of the population of Iowa had more murders. Arkansas has fewer people than Iowa, similar sized cities, yet sees almost 5X as many murders! I don't know what it is, but they're a peaceful bunch in Iowa.

And yes, the state is almost entirely German/Irish/Scandanavian.
Regarding Nebraska, it is an area of about 50 square miles in North Omaha which probably 90% of those murders take place.

If that makes a difference for the rest of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 12:08 PM

13 posts, read 30,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Is your love of Iowa and your screen name based on any possible affection you have for the most famous Iowan at the moment--Mr. Demi Moore?
Yeah, I am a great fan of Kutcher. But It doesn't mean I'm a great fan of Iowa too. Of all the major cities right now, Iowa stands ahead in 0% crime rate, friendly people and broadminded attitude.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:15 PM

167 posts, read 214,000 times
I think they are, my ex-girlfriend is from Iowa. I know that's pretty biased, but still, every place has its good and bad people.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:20 PM

13 posts, read 30,860 times
Its not biased. Its a fact. Those who love country side would definitely love Iowa. I've been there once. I'm in love with the place and the people there. Would definitely go there next time

Old 01-04-2008, 01:41 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,590,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
First of all, it's "Wisconsinites" and second of all, that's the first I've heard of Iowans being friendlier than Wisconsinites.
And third of all, since when have "Irish ancestry dominated people" outnumbered "German ancestry people" in Iowa? I've lived in both states. Both are heavily Germanic heritage, both have smaller populations of Irish. The main difference is that Iowa is more agriculturally dominated, while Wisconsin is a more diverse economy.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:46 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,590,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_W View Post
Regarding Nebraska, it is an area of about 50 square miles in North Omaha which probably 90% of those murders take place.

If that makes a difference for the rest of the state.
Good point, Steve_W

You're not going to live all over the whole state, you are just going to live in one community! You can find high crime communities in IA as well as low crime communities. You can find low crime communities in WI as well as low crime communities. If ya don't like crime, you can find a community to live in in either state!

Old 01-04-2008, 02:13 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,399,243 times
This is simply just an opinion base, and in my opinion a thread that will provoke a fight. In both Iowa and Wisconsin I didn't notice a difference amongst friendliness. In fact, to my recollection, I've never had to judge a state in terms of its friendliness. Maybe individual people, but as a whole state? You've got to be kidding me. Until you've met over 50% percent of the people in a state, I suggest you not do a thread like this. People in general are friendly and hospitable. States and regions do not speak loud enough about who a person is by a long shot. This kind of stuff IMO encourages classification and stereotyping of people based strictly on where they are from. This makes me feel like that if I were somebody from Wisconsin, I am automatically classified by this thread as not as friendly as another state based on some crazed generalization. Basically, my point here is that I'm not sure why people feel compelled to stereotype an entire state based on a very small percentage of the population they've actually encountered, and then on top of that go and compare it to another state's population, of which also they've encountered a very small portion. Every Iowan is different and unique, as is every Wisconsiner. Both seemed equally friendly to me.

Last edited by ajf131; 01-04-2008 at 02:40 PM..

Old 01-04-2008, 06:25 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,709,795 times
I agree you can't sterotype a whole state. There is a general attitude to a place, though- a culture. I experienced Iowa and Wisconsin as pretty similar in friendliness.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashton007 View Post
Its not biased. Its a fact. Those who love country side would definitely love Iowa. I've been there once. I'm in love with the place and the people there. Would definitely go there next time
I've been there many times. My mom is from Wisconsin, spent much time there as a kid. I doubt there is any difference in terms of "friendliness". Iowa is def hard-core midwestern in culture, as is WI. WI is heavily German; Iowa more mixed German/Scandinavian. This is the first that I have heard of a significant Irish community in IA. Maybe you were thinking of ILL?

Old 01-04-2008, 09:51 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,244,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashton007 View Post
Iowa people are ready to welcome any strangers. I saw these characteristics in many people, but wisconsinites are completely opposite
Give a Wisconsinite some beer, a block of cheese, and tell them that the Green Bay Packers are the best football team of all time (past, present and future) and you will have a friend for life. It also helps if you know what a bar stool race is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.