Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 04:46 PM

26 posts, read 42,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Olympia is an hour away from Seattle, non-traffic. You're more likely to get annoyed by one of those progressive Evergreen State College students than a foreigner. I generally don't count it as a part of Seattle metro.

However, you want to talk about the government? Seattle wields a huge political hammer to the entire state and it can do that just by sheer population numbers. There are actually signs around in the state that say "Don't let Seattle steal this election". As a WA citizen, you are going to deal with and hear of these "progressive" high tax/environmentalist policy/SF style politicians. The further away you're from Seattle, the more muted the Liberal in-your-face attitude becomes. For a lot of people, the Seattle suburbs provides that centrist, normal feel. Personally, I think Tacoma has the right balance. Plus the military bases nearby does extend influence on Tacoma as well. But I don't know if it will be enough to satisfy you... Given the extent of your feelings, why would you look at the 2 states that are known for their liberalism (even if you're looking in the more Conservative section)?
Because the states known for their die hard conservatism (snake charming feet washing "praise the lawd!" Is just as annoying as "let's be politically correct and hug trees!") aren't really places with nice weather, the west has nature and weather that somewhere like Northern Alabama doesn't have lol. There is a big difference between a blue state and crazy hippies. Outside of metro Boston Ma isn't particularly progressive it's blue of the union variety but there is really nothing out there but blight and sub zero temps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 01:20 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,486,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
In that case I'm thinking Northern Idaho would be a perfect place for you.
I think the only downside to Idaho is that most folks in Idaho try to work in WA, as the minimum wage is about $2/hr higher than in Idaho. The job market gets skewed as a result.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:51 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,914,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post
I think the only downside to Idaho is that most folks in Idaho try to work in WA, as the minimum wage is about $2/hr higher than in Idaho. The job market gets skewed as a result.
Inaccurate, because most folks in the state of ID do not try to work in WA lol. Maybe people who live in NORTH Idaho in towns near the state line with WA, but most of Idaho is not near Washington. It would be a hell of a commute from Idaho Falls or Boise to work in WA.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:04 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,631,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Jack View Post
Because the states known for their die hard conservatism (snake charming feet washing "praise the lawd!" Is just as annoying as "let's be politically correct and hug trees!") aren't really places with nice weather, the west has nature and weather that somewhere like Northern Alabama doesn't have lol.
One question no one has asked is your budget for housing. Very few parts of the PNW are cheap.

I'm also curious what you think PNW weather is like. West of the Cascades winters are gray, wet, and cool if not cold. East of the Cascades it's going to feel like real winter, and summer heat can exceed what you're used to in Boston. Average summer temps in eastern OR are a solid 10 degrees above Boston's.

It'll be less humid, but it can be scorching compared to what you're used to.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:53 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,606,904 times
Eastern WA sucks. You don't want to live here, trust me. Northern Idaho would be a much better place for you.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:45 AM

9,479 posts, read 10,834,439 times
This is a tough one. The OP does not want a lot of PC liberals, leans right of center but not a religious conservative. Also an affordable housing market in an area with jobs. To add to it the OP does not want extreme weather either hot or cold. There is no place that matches all criteria, but I think there are places that come close. To get affordable housing and away from radical left wing politics one needs to be far from either coast. Somewhere in the Midwest or South is going to be the OPs best bet. Since the OP is not a big social and relkigious conservative I would say the Midwest is a better fit. Minneapolis is a nice city with a good economy and a reasonable cost of living compared to the coastal areas being considered. It is quite cold however, that would have to be a compromise. Indiana is a conservative Midwest state with a reasonable economy and a milder winter. Cheap housing can be easily found in Indiana. Also look across the Ohio river at the upper south state of Kentucky, cheap housing and decent economic opportunity in the bigger cities. Lexington and Louisville are nice towns. Getting to be warmer in summer, and more social conservatism. More compromises. Another suggestion would be Virginia. Cost of living is very important, in fact a low cost of living can greatly offset a lower average income. Someone living in Indiana working for 10 dollars an hour may live better than someone living in Boston making 30 dollars an hour. The Bostonian paid 500k for their house, pays taxes on income, gas, toll roads, liquor, tobacco, yesterdays sunrise and the air breathed for the day. In Indiana that same house might have been bought for 60k, and the taxes and cost of life is cheaper. Unless your the power career type its not good to live in a place like Boston.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:48 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,631,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Cheap housing can be easily found in Indiana. Also look across the Ohio river at the upper south state of Kentucky, cheap housing and decent economic opportunity in the bigger cities. Lexington and Louisville are nice towns. Getting to be warmer in summer, and more social conservatism. More compromises. Another suggestion would be Virginia.
A good analysis on the whole, though moving anywhere into Appalachia (or Indiana) you're pretty solidly into bible belt turf. I lived in semi-rural northern Ohio (considered both blue and with no particular reputation for religiosity) and even there religion with a fundamentalist edge was vastly more present in community life than in New England or the upper midwest.

Personally lots of things are appealing about KY/NC to me, but considering Ohio was too fundamentalist for me, I don't see it happening.

Somewhere like Asheville you get a great climate, and for being NC it's about as non-bible-y as you're going to get, but it's a meh job market and you're back to liberals.

I'm curious if the OP has looked at Pittsburgh, or maybe Columbus/Cincy.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:25 AM

9,479 posts, read 10,834,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
A good analysis on the whole, though moving anywhere into Appalachia (or Indiana) you're pretty solidly into bible belt turf. I lived in semi-rural northern Ohio (considered both blue and with no particular reputation for religiosity) and even there religion with a fundamentalist edge was vastly more present in community life than in New England or the upper midwest.

Personally lots of things are appealing about KY/NC to me, but considering Ohio was too fundamentalist for me, I don't see it happening.

Somewhere like Asheville you get a great climate, and for being NC it's about as non-bible-y as you're going to get, but it's a meh job market and you're back to liberals.

I'm curious if the OP has looked at Pittsburgh, or maybe Columbus/Cincy.

I thought of also mentioning the low cost states of Ohio and Michigan, as they are very politically moderate but the OP needs a job and the economy of those states is challenged to say the least. Also Michigan gets into extreme cold, which the OP is not interested in. As far as North Carolina, or other true southern states like Tennessee or South Carolina etc., I figured that they are just to far south, too hot and too conservative for what the OP stated they were looking for. Like I said the list of wants the OP has is kinda tough to meet. If the OP looks carefully though they can find a place that meets many of the wants.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:10 PM

7,742 posts, read 6,495,307 times
No, the northwest isn't so tolerant to racists (at least outside of some small mountain towns full of methheads) neither is the northeast either. Try the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.