Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 12:15 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,535,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well in that case. So is Texas, Georgia, and Florida.
Some would agree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 12:22 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink90 View Post
Some of ya'll think you have to be Mississippi to be southern.
I know - bless their hearts.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:24 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
Now I love, love, love WNC, but on the map in my mind the region beyond the mountains has a note: "there be dragons here". Well not really but it just doesn't register. I know there are interesting cities but none as interesting as Charleston SC.. Yes I intend to make another visit someday but it never becomes a priority. I know the outer banks are beautiful but not twice as beautiful as the Charleston area beaches. I know Charlotte is bustling but it's not nearly as convenient as bustling Atlanta.

I hate to say this but it seems that people are more uppity in NC and look down on the rest of us in the south. Then their own legislature passes a conservative law and they are shocked, shocked I tell you.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:03 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,494,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
No, I have lived in NC. I have been all over the state. I don't consider the state Southern. At one time, yes. Currently, no. NC is the same as Virginia. More Mid-Atlantic than Southern.
You have to be kidding. Yes, North Carolina is pretty similar to Virginia, but it's still more southern IMO. Most of the remote areas outside the Triangle and Charlotte aren't dissimilar from the remote areas of Georgia, South Carolina, and even Alabama! This is still a southern state. Mid-Atlantic? I'm beginning to HATE that term. This is North Carolina, NOT Maryland. We're NOT the lower northeast. If we're more Mid-Atlantic than southern, might as well add South Carolina to the list, also. Doesn't make sense? Well, just like calling NC more Mid-Atlantic than southern!

Last edited by JayJayCB; 12-26-2014 at 01:19 PM..

Old 12-26-2014, 02:04 PM

515 posts, read 632,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well in that case. So is Texas, Georgia, and Florida.
True. Some people's logic, or lack there of, amazes me.

Old 12-26-2014, 04:46 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
No, I have lived in NC. I have been all over the state. I don't consider the state Southern. At one time, yes. Currently, no. NC is the same as Virginia. More Mid-Atlantic than Southern.

Sorry! North Carolina and Virginia is as southern as they come. To say otherwise is ignorance. I have a mountain home in North Carolina, and my family is from Virginia. Don't tell me they are not Southern. Also I have a home in South Carolina. I know the south.

Last edited by Scotty011; 12-26-2014 at 05:05 PM..

Old 12-26-2014, 04:58 PM

What is it with these people that want to make southern states not southern? It makes absolutely no sense to me. This is the only place that I find that people either do not know what regions that states are in and seem totally ignorant of geography and history. People moving into a state does not change that state from being southern. Get an education people. If everyone from Alabama and Mississippi moved to New York State, would that make it a Southern state??? Hell no it would not.

Old 12-26-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Sorry! South Carolina is where I draw the line. To each their own.

And I consider Maine to be a West coast state. To each ignoramus their own right??????

Old 12-26-2014, 05:09 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
NC is no longer the South, and of course the same for Florida. Tennessee is too close to the Mississippi (as are Mississippi and Louisiana) and frankly, Nashville is full of liberal faux country singers. Of course Virginia, West Virginia and Kentucky are Yankee states, and Georgia is really just completely ruined by Atlanta. South Carolina is just South Carolina, really a thing of its own, and Alabama renamed their football team.

So I guess we have to come to grips with the fact that the South no longer exists. Some might even suggest it never did. Everyone, please remove your hats and observe a moment of silence for the country's most ephemeral/non-existant region.

In other news, waviking is not a viking.

Last edited by ABQConvict; 12-26-2014 at 06:24 PM..

Old 12-26-2014, 05:10 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
You have got to be kidding.
A lot of people feel the same way about Florida, just because a lot of people from the north lives there, its not southern anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.