Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 09:00 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
Greensboro & Winston are kind of dumps, so maybe they are smaller Detroits?
Ha! I was thinking that but wasn't sure if I should post it. The only decent part of either two cities is the Wake Forest campus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 08:28 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
having lived in the Raleigh Durham area & Northern Virginia, I must say they are nothing alike other than having a lot of tech jobs. Northern Virginia is the wealthiest, most educated, & one of the most diverse regions in the country. Raleigh Durham doesn't really compare. Greensboro & Winston are kind of dumps, so maybe they are smaller Detroits?
Don't insult Detroit like that!

Old 12-29-2014, 05:30 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Ha! I was thinking that but wasn't sure if I should post it. The only decent part of either two cities is the Wake Forest campus.
LMAO, says the guy from Pennsylvania.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:55 PM

797 posts, read 1,429,215 times
Columbia SC, Raleigh NC

Old 11-05-2015, 08:36 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
Greensboro is almost like Charlotte but less glitzy and New South-ish. The two cities share a similar history of textile mills, and were actually the two largest cities in the state before Raleigh started to boom in the 1960's. The two share some Revolutionary War history, along with having theme parks (Emerald Pointe, Carowinds). Greenville, SC is another similar city. I won't argue against people saying Greensboro and Raleigh are pretty similar, but I don't really see it.

Winston-Salem and Durham are very similar. However, I think Durham is a bit more rough around the edges along with being more liberal. Charlotte could possibly be another contender, as both cities are the most religious in the state. Winston-Salem and Richmond are also similar, but Durham probably takes the cake in the long run. The tobacco heritage is very strong.

Raleigh and Wake County as a whole (especially Cary, North Raleigh) reminds me more of outer Northern Virginia suburbs over anything. However, like I said before, a good argument can be made for the Triad being more similar.

Last edited by JayJayCB; 11-05-2015 at 08:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.