Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 10:33 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I was talking normal temps, not the extremes, so there was no misconception. And I counted the areas east of the Cascades and Sierras in the West of the Rockies territory. If you are talking extremes, the only places I know of in the US that NEVER hit 85° are the high Rockies and high Cascades (talking over 10k ft) and the very immediate Pacific Coast from about Ft Bragg, CA northward. To illustrate my dividing line east of the Rockies (which was approximate, not exact, to make it simpler).

Helena, MT Jul 85.7°
Billings, MT Jul 86.8°
Sheridan, WY Jul 87.1°
Rapid City, SD Jul 87.1°
Sioux Falls, SD Jul 84.1°
Rochester, MN Jul 84.0°
Madison, WI Jul 81.6°
Chicago, IL Jul 84.2°
South Bend, IN Jul 83.3°
Toledo, OH Jul 84.5°
Youngstown, OH Jul 81.4°
Hazleton, PA Jul 77.0°
Scranton, PA Jul 81.9°
New York City Jul 84.1°

So while not exact it's a pretty good approximation.

And between the Rockies and Cascades/Sierra, it does depend on elevation. The places you mentioned in Eastern OR/WA I already knew about, and they are realtively low lying for the interior west.
The Great Plains are well known as the land of extremes, that's all I was referring too. I assume you are describing mean temps ? Still not sure why you used I-90 as a deciding line for what reason ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 02:10 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
The Great Plains are well known as the land of extremes, that's all I was referring too. I assume you are describing mean temps ? Still not sure why you used I-90 as a deciding line for what reason ?
Mean high temperatures. Original Poster was looking for somewhere that didn't normally have highs over 85° but also didn't get cold in the winter. And I was trying to say that outside CA,OR&WA west of the Cascades/Sierra, he is going to either compromise on the cold winter or a hot summer.

And west of Chicago, summers heat up south of I-90. For example Des Moines' normal high in July is 85.7° and Omaha's normal high in July is 87.3°, and 88.2° in July in North Platte.

If you want to say 50° for a boundary to avoid cold winters, that is approximately I-40 east of the Rockies southward (with the exceptions of eastern TN/western NC), but then you are talking summer highs 90° to 95°. And in the SW, it limits you to elevations below about 4,500ft in AZ, NM, NV, CA (deserts) and far SW Utah, but then talking summer highs 95° up to over 110°.

Last edited by FirebirdCamaro1220; 02-17-2017 at 02:20 PM..

Old 02-17-2017, 06:15 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,275,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2nova1976 View Post
The Central Coast of CA (around Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, Monterrey) has perfect weather IMO, but there has to be somewhere else in this country that comes close. Being an NYer, I would never feel comfortable about moving out there to the west coast the vibe was weird for me when i went (was in Anaheim, LA, Palm Springs, SF and Humboldt County) and being from Brooklyn if I ever moved to California (or Red Sox Territory for that matter) my mom and friends would probably stop talking to me lol

Anywhere in the mainland USA that is not on the Pacific and does not get hotter than 85, has mild (minimal snow and wind) winters, and less than 5% humidity? Anywhere close? I would rather cold than heat and I can't take humidity.

This is for the distant future lol, not anytime soon cause I am about to move to DC for work

Anywhere besides Hawaii, Alaska, CA, OR, or WA
Higher elevation Arizona and New Mexico....5,000 to 7,000 ft range

Bisbee, Arizona comes closest.

Jerome, AZ is good too.

Silver City, New Mexico is not bad too.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:24 PM

30,371 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Higher elevation Arizona and New Mexico....5,000 to 7,000 ft range

Bisbee, Arizona comes closest.

Jerome, AZ is good too.

Silver City, New Mexico is not bad too.
Checked the climate data on these and they all look nice with Bisbee being the most moderate. I would add Prescott to this as all 3 of these are quite small and even Prescott is smaller than most people want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.