Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Missouri or Maryland more southern?
Missouri 81 84.38%
Maryland 15 15.63%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 09:02 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Lol, or a halfway intelligent person would know that there's obviously urban and rural areas in both...
Or the laws of physics would obviously tell you that 6 million people spread out across 70,000 sq miles in Missouri ranked 30th in population density vs 6 million people over 12,400 sq miles ranked 5th in population density is not the same. I think you can understand from that why a Marylander would see Missouri as "less cosmpolitan" or "urban/suburban" than MD. Doesn't mean that country parts don't exist, New Jersey is the most dense state in the country with it's "pockets" of country, not very many but its there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Just posted this in another thread.

You don't see the same type of development in New Jersey or Connecticut. At least not as much. The housing stock in the DC suburbs is about the same age as Charlotte's. That explains why the DC suburbs often draw comparisons to Sunbelt cities.
See your going beyond what this thread is about, the word DC nor DC suburbs is not in the title or OP of this thread. Your last few posts have been specifically directed to one county in the whole state of Maryland what contains i believe 23 counties and 6 million people. The reason to why you cherry picked PG was so that you could compare it to a place in the south that you felt had the closest comparison to it. I pointed out that PG county unlike Dekalb county in many areas close to DC and inside the beltway is not a "sunbelt" feel or type of place. There are older suburbs in both PG and Dekalb but you will not find the as many country one lane roads in PG inside the beltway as you would there. You only backed your argument with Jewish neighborhoods in Dekalb and wealthy blacks in both places. Then you add this piece that clearly involves entire DC suburbs mostly Northern VA and relate it to why the WHOLE state of Maryland should be considered southern vs Missouri?

Old 01-14-2015, 09:21 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
See your going beyond what this thread is about, the word DC nor DC suburbs is not in the title or OP of this thread. Your last few posts have been specifically directed to one county in the whole state of Maryland what contains i believe 23 counties and 6 million people. The reason to why you cherry picked PG was so that you could compare it to a place in the south that you felt had the closest comparison to it. I pointed out that PG county unlike Dekalb county in many areas close to DC and inside the beltway is not a "sunbelt" feel or type of place.
You realize that the data I provided wasn't P.G. County specific, right? The majority of the DC suburbs have a Sunbelt feel and the data shows that. For the hard headed, I have to smash this into the skull at least 3 or 4 times until it's understood.

New York - 18.9%
Philadelphia - 14.9%
Charlotte - 4.6%
Washington - 4.6%
Richmond - 4.1%
Atlanta - 2.0%

Yeah. DC's suburbs look a whole lot more like Atlanta's than they do New York's. There's not a lot of Pre-War construction in the DC suburbs (Maryland or Virginia).

Old 01-14-2015, 09:51 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,350,216 times
Quote:
You realize that the data I provided wasn't P.G. County specific, right? The majority of the DC suburbs have a Sunbelt feel and the data shows that. For the hard headed, I have to smash this into the skull at least 3 or 4 times until it's understood.

New York - 18.9%
Philadelphia - 14.9%
Charlotte - 4.6%
Washington - 4.6%
Richmond - 4.1%
Atlanta - 2.0%

Yeah. DC's suburbs look a whole lot more like Atlanta's than they do New York's. There's not a lot of Pre-War construction in the DC suburbs (Maryland or Virginia).
You realize this thread is about the whole state of Maryland is not just consisted of the DC suburbs LOL why is this even being brought up. Those stats could be mostly NoVa and not DC suburbs of Maryland. You don't know if northern VA is making the the percentage higher or not. Include Baltimore and other places, quit speaking about DC and DC suburbs this thread is about MARYLAND. Read the title.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:

New York - 18.9%
Philadelphia - 14.9%
Charlotte - 4.6%
Washington - 4.6%
Richmond - 4.1%
Atlanta - 2.0%

I realize that what you posted includes much of the Virginia suburbs of DC which have nothing to do with a thread about Maryland vs Missouri and what is more southern. I also realize that Los Angeles has new suburbs all over but is not called southern so I guess I don't get you. The state of Maryland has 23 counties yet you continue to focus on primarily 2 DC suburb counties. The only poster I've ever seen say Maryland is more like Atlanta than New Jersey is you. Western Maryland has three counties that look like the suburbs of Pittsburgh. Baltimore has older industrial suburbs just like the NE, and Eastern Shore has no resemblance to Atlanta whatsoever it is directly related to Delaware and the rest of the Mid Atlantic. I think you believe this is the City v City thread and the topic is about once again DC, it's not.

I understand that it is your mission on C-D to "put DC in its place" and attempt to lump us in certain categories expecting us to get upset over it, yet we could care less what you think about us here in the DC region. Like I said the topic is Maryland v Missouri and what place has more of a southern vibe, let's stick to that.

Last edited by the resident09; 01-14-2015 at 10:00 AM..

Old 01-14-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I realize that what you posted includes much of the Virginia suburbs of DC which have nothing to do with a thread about Maryland vs Missouri and what is more southern.
The housing stock in Maryland is similar to the age of the housing stock in Virginia.

https://eyeonhousing.files.wordpress...year_built.jpg

Quote:
I also realize that Los Angeles has new suburbs all over but is not called southern so I guess I don't get you.
Funny enough, Los Angeles has an older housing stock than DC.

Suburban Maryland has a housing stock that's more similar to suburban Atlanta or Charlotte than it is to suburban Boston. It's not uncommon at all to find McMansions, vinyl-sided townhouses, new suburban cookie cutter crap, etc. That's basically the same stuff you see in Metro Atlanta. You say "Well, all cities have that" but that's not really true. You've provided no data, no evidence, and have only offered your opinion that Dekalb County has more one lane roads.

Quote:
The state of Maryland has 23 counties yet you continue to focus on primarily 2 DC suburb counties.
Which is the bulk of the DC metro area, mind you. Besides, we started off talking about the DC suburbs, not Cumberland.

Quote:
The only poster I've ever seen say Maryland is more like Atlanta than New Jersey is you.
In terms of housing style, yes. New Jersey has an older housing stock.

Quote:
Western Maryland has three counties that look like the suburbs of Pittsburgh. Baltimore has older industrial suburbs just like the NE, and Eastern Shore has no resemblance to Atlanta whatsoever it is directly related to Delaware and the rest of the Mid Atlantic.
Data please.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:12 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
This is highly inaccurate. Maryland is NOTHING like West Virginia, it's like a little New Jersey.
Yea, his comment is pretty typical of the jack wagons in this part of the board. I continue to be amused at the comparisons people make for states, cities. etc. on here. It's clear most have never traveled further than the borders of their current villages.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
You realize this thread is about the whole state of Maryland is not just consisted of the DC suburbs LOL why is this even being brought up. Those stats could be mostly NoVa and not DC suburbs of Maryland. You don't know if northern VA is making the the percentage higher or not. Include Baltimore and other places, quit speaking about DC and DC suburbs this thread is about MARYLAND. Read the title.
There is no material difference between the median age of the housing stock in the entire states of Maryland and Virginia.

https://eyeonhousing.files.wordpress...year_built.jpg

Maryland simply contains a lot of new development. Its population has nearly doubled since 1960 so I'm not sure why this fact comes as such a surprise to you.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:25 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,674,624 times
Quote:
Or the laws of physics would obviously tell you that 6 million people spread out across 70,000 sq miles in Missouri ranked 30th in population density vs 6 million people over 12,400 sq miles ranked 5th in population density is not the same. I think you can understand from that why a Marylander would see Missouri as "less cosmpolitan" or "urban/suburban" than MD. Doesn't mean that country parts don't exist, New Jersey is the most dense state in the country with it's "pockets" of country, not very many but its there.
Laws of physics () eh? Don't make this even more ridiculous as you don't seem to understand. If a country as huge as say Russia only had one city, and 99% of the population lived there, are you going to use the population density of the entire country to describe the life of an average Russian? No, that's dumb. Most people in MO live around St. Louis or KC, so no they aren't going to magically bow down to Maryland and its extreme "urbanity" due to imaginary lines.

That being said, people think MO is country because it's in the amusing label of "flyover country," or even not on the coasts. Period, most know nothing about MO or how old and extremely urban a city like St. Louis is; furthermore, people in MO don't view Maryland of all places with any kind of mystic or foreignness, you vastly underrate regional egos/complexes.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:29 PM

What in the world does old houses versus new houses have to do with being southern or northern? What in the world are you talking about?? There are new houses in New Jersey and places north too! There are old houses and different styles of homes in Maryland also, what's your point? And regardless that has nothing to do with north/south anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.