Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 07:06 PM

47 posts, read 78,424 times

Advertisements

When I leave a tip for the server at a restaurant I always leave what is considered a good tip. One reason is because that is a job I appreciate because I could not do it. I have never been a waiter but I know I could not put up the rude/stupid/intoxicated people that most servers have encountered. I just don't have the patience for that and would probably get fired my first day.

But here is my question... at most restaurants do servers really know who the good tippers are? My guess is the answer would be no if you leave the tip on a credit card which is what I do. I don't like leaving cash on the table.

The main reason I guess the answer is no is because I frequently visit the same 2 or 3 restaurants and usually get servers that I've had before. But they don't seem to acknowledge the times when I have left tips over 50% of the tab, usually around the holidays. Yet they remember what I usually order.

I like to think that being a good tipper means I'll continue to get good service. But it may not matter much because it seems like at the end of the day the management just totals up all the tips, the bad with the good. So I'm curious about what is common practice at restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 07:40 PM

448 posts, read 812,997 times
Quote:
But here is my question... at most restaurants do servers really know who the good tippers are?
If they are really busy they may not notice. Servers are more prone to notice tips that are too small or being stiffed rather than ones that are "too" large. But generally, yes they know.

Quote:
I frequently visit the same 2 or 3 restaurants and usually get servers that I've had before. But they don't seem to acknowledge the times when I have left tips over 50% of the tab, usually around the holidays. Yet they remember what I usually order.
What are you basing that sentence on? The majority of servers are not going to approach you and thank you for the great tip you gave last time. The fact that the same server is serving you is probably an indication that they know you're a good tipper and are trying to make sure they are the one taking care of you.

Source: My wife is a server at a national chain restaurant, so I constantly hear stories from her and her co-workers. Other areas of the country and other types of restaurants may vary.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:54 AM

338 posts, read 556,509 times
You leave over 50% tips during the holidays?!

Old 01-25-2015, 10:01 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
The tipping culture in USA is so messed up anyway.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:09 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
The tipping culture in USA is so messed up anyway.
What do you mean by that?

Old 01-25-2015, 10:13 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
I've Noticed the WaitPerson look at the check, or look inside the Black Portfolo, to see what the tip was.

If you are at a place where you pay at the register, they probably don't know who gave what tips, Just at the end of the shift, they get a amount (or Cash) Total for the day.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:45 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,848,917 times
I would think they would know if you pay the waiter/waitress. I'm sure they look in the book as you leave. Personally, I always leave cash as a tip when paying by credit card. On the tip line I write in tip in cash just in case the management looks into it as a negative of the waiter/waitress if no tip is written in.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:52 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
I was a waitress in my youth and it was the most difficult job I have ever had. That's why now I am a generous tipper if the service is halfway decent. I alway leave cash even though I usually pay with my credit card. Here's why.

Leave Tips in Cash Instead of on a Credit Card to Help Your Server Out

Old 01-26-2015, 12:28 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,884,662 times
If I really appreciate the server and the dining experience, I'll go 30%+. My opinion has always been that an extra few bucks may not impact me so much but it can really make someone else's day. Also, my late Mother was a waitress for 30 years and I know first hand how hard she had worked up until the time she retired at 65. Like many, I also worked in restaurants while in school and it can be stressful, even at 14. My experience is that most servers are very good at what they do, or they don't last. Sometimes, it seems for every good customer there are 4 a*s hats just to balance things out.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:37 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
What do you mean by that?
Well employers should just pay a higher wage for starters. When I travel to other places in the world, they often look down on tips. The whole tipping system in America just needs some restructuring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.