Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 05:18 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,090,617 times

Advertisements

I think of Minneapolis as a second-tier Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 07:04 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times
Chicago has no rivals in the Midwest, that much is pretty much clear. No other city can measure up to its bigness, prosperity, economy, and infrastructure. If you want to speak rivals, I'll give you Chicago's rivals...New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta and maybe even Miami. It takes a big city to be a rival to a big city. St. Louis and Chicago are historic rivals, but nowadays besides sports there isn't much St. Louis can offer in the way of competition to Chicago.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:19 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
New York, Boston, Dallas, Houston, San Francisco, Los Angeles. Philadelphia and Seattle could be, but are not. Detroit tried years ago, never succeeded and probably never will. Cleveland, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Milwaukee, St Louis, etc all wish they were Chicago, although Kansas City sleeps peacefully at night, unlike the others, especially Detroit, which needs a unisom (NyQuil is not enough).
Not that it matters (6 months later, like you'll see this), Indianapolis does not wish it was Chicago. Indy wishes to be Indy, no matter how many times people from outside of Indy tell us we want to be like Chicago/Ohio/etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
i love Chicago, but so many Chicagans are so...just like this poster "We're the Best!!!!!" sigh

i wonder what kind of backlash im going to get for saying this...
No backlash from me (not that it matters, I am not significant). It amuses me when people from Chicago tell me I should be envious of Chicago. I am not. Oh well.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:36 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixKick View Post
How is that different from any thread?

BTW, the Quakes are going to lose by 2.
Obviously you didn't see your bums against Chivas.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:12 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
i love Chicago, but so many Chicagans are so...just like this poster "We're the Best!!!!!" sigh

i wonder what kind of backlash im going to get for saying this...
I think it's pretty clear that Chicago is the best.

But in all seriousness I believe that you should live in a place that you think is the best.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:18 PM

203 posts, read 689,278 times
Chicago rivals Houston or Atlanta or Miami

Los Angeles and Manhattan are in another league in terms of popularity

Old 06-27-2008, 02:56 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,845,698 times
I think, in terms of Chicago's ego, they are only rivaled by San Fran and NYC.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:00 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
I think, in terms of Chicago's ego, they are only rivaled by San Fran and NYC.
And L.A., and Dallas, and Houston, and Seattle, and....

Old 06-27-2008, 03:14 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,845,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
And L.A., and Dallas, and Houston, and Seattle, and....
You really believe that? I'm sure there are lots of people from those cities who enjoy them, like myself... but I don't see many people from those cities acting condescendingly towards people from other cities. There's always going to be one or two bad eggs, but I'm talking about the general sentiment. And don't you roll your eyes at me boy!

Old 06-27-2008, 03:15 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times
I guess it depends on what the "rivalry" is for: global city, finance, sports, culture, etc.

Twenty years ago I would have said Chicago's main "rivals" (bencharks? peers?) were New York, Los Angeles and to some extent Boston, Philadelphia, Minneapolis and San Francisco.

On the whole, in 2008, I think Chicago now honestly sees its main rivals as New York, London, Paris, Tokyo and Hong Kong (I don't think it's in this pantheon yet). To a lesser extent, cities such as Los Angeles, Toronto, Frankfurt, etc.

I think a rivalry is aspiration-based, meaning, most rivalries are forward-looking. I don't think Chicago sees itself as inward-looking as in previous decades (meaning prior to '90s). Its economy has evolved and is more service-oriented and tourism-centric (at least moreso now), with much less dependence on manufactuing. As such-- a professional service economy is inherently global,-- I think Chicago's attitude of itself is now more measured by how it stacks up globally against othe true global cities. So, from the criteria above-- I'm speaking of a rivalry based on economic global impact.

Some things that have driven this view of Chicago as a global city:
CBOT -- global leadership in futures/commodities
Olympic candidate
Fortune 500 locale for major cos.
Millennium Park (yup)
Professional service economy evolution
High-profile construction (Trump, Spire, remainder of late 90s and 00s building boom)
Obama (real or perceived)

Recent detractors
CTA
crime

Last edited by BigLake; 06-27-2008 at 03:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.