Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2015, 06:42 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
This thread a few posts back had NY/NJ/CT rolled into one wave of rudeness and elitism.
I hope you aren't talking about me, as I did that when referencing the Tri-State area? I was very nice in my post, and provided the local view on the reality of the supposed 'rude New Yorker.'
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 07:50 PM

784 posts, read 1,980,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I feel sorry for New Yorkers who travel in the South, because it feels like no one wants to give them a chance before assuming that they fit the NY stereotype.

I have been in a conversation with a Southerner on more than one occasion and they are polite but not overly friendly until I mention that we're from the Midwest, and then it's like their entire demeanor changes and their attitude is like, "Oh, okay, so you're not one of THOSE Northerners, you're more like one of us!" and then they treat me like and old friend.

It seems like Southerners are much more accepting of Midwesterners than anyone from NYC or the Northeast in general.
I find that the negativity toward New Yorkers is magnified in the South compared to other regions of the country. That being said although I am the OP, I never experienced direct hostility, but have had many people make negative comments to me about New Yorkers, even "I do not like New Yorkers" or "I can't stand New Yorkers." In the past, I would ask such a person whether they would automatically dislike someone because they are a New Yorker. All but one stated that they wouldn't, often had a good friend or two that was a New Yorker, but found that by and large, New Yorkers were rude, impatient, etc. The lone hold out was a gentleman from New Hampshire, who said that while he doesn't like New Yorkers, he will keep his distance at first, but will warm up to the person if they do not fit the stereotype. I have encountered a large number of people from Massachusetts, southern New Jersey, Philadelphia, and Upstate New York who are quick to point out how rude and unlovable NYC area people are, but not realizing that they tend to have similar accents and a fast paced culture and may display some of the same behaviors that they despise in New Yorkers. What I have noticed in the South is that many have a general distaste for New Yorkers, but will give a them a chance to show they are not like the stereotype. There are some, though, that wear their disdain on their sleeve.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:00 PM

870 posts, read 1,568,345 times
A lot of New Yorkers (meaning New York City) and others from nearby New Jersey have moved to eastern Pennsylvania and the Poconos the last ten years or so and there has been some resentment from the local population. Some say that they are making things too expensive for the locals and driving up real estate prices. In places like Reading and Lancaster, they are being blamed for an increase in crime. (As well as the Maryland arrivals, but this about New York.)

Of course a few bad apples spoil the bunch. But generally speaking, I've noticed that people from the Tri-State region of NYC, NJ, and CT tend to be loud and brash which may be offsetting to areas with a more low key population. I work with a New York native at my job in Pittsburgh and he has toned down considerably since he started a couple of years ago.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:38 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
I know I felt a lot better driving around the country when I had Iowa tags vs. NY (although from far upstate, where I lived in Iowa was a far larger and more crime-ridden city). Although once at a Burger King drive-thru in northern Indiana I was driving with a buddy and two girls working there wanted to climb in with us and go back to NY.

I had my tires deflated while parked on a side street in NJ once, with NY tags.

It seems that PA tags are somewhat more neutral. I didn't perceive any issues driving a Chevy Volt with PA tags thru Pike County, KY, although I was ready to explain that it was coal powered should anyone have asked.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:46 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,097,066 times
The only place I've had trouble due to being from NYC is Mississippi at a gas station. A bunch of characters who looked like they were from Deliverance were standing around the entrance looking at us like they wanted to start trouble so we left fast. Otherwise no problem anywhere else in the country.

Last edited by 5-all; 01-30-2015 at 10:11 AM..

Old 01-30-2015, 01:56 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,336 times
I'm not from NYC, but I can say that New Yorkers never came across as any ruder than your typical Chicagoan, at least to me anyway.

I also don't think a New Yorker would have a problem here, unless they were talking **** about Chicago or something.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:07 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,464 times
I've not had much trouble. I've only been confused as a New Yorker about twice since I've moved here (I'm from New Haven, CT).

I've been told "northerners hate the world" but haven't had any real hostility. I'm not as friendly as the southerners down here and don't tend to talk to too many people anyway... but yeah lol

In my opinion, some people are just too nice anyway! :-)

Old 01-30-2015, 05:09 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
There's no place like Miami.
There's no place like New Orleans.
There's no place like LA.
There's no place like San Francisco.

Please. This could be said about countless places in America. It is part of what makes this country great and exciting. NYC doesn't own the rights to being unique or distinguished or replicated. Not that it isnt all those 3, but other places arent to be discounted, and they all offer things that NYC cant and wont ever. That's alright though.
This. I love the NYC too but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Most New Yorkers are a pretty good and interesting bunch, especially the ones I've encountered both up there and down here in the DMV.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:32 PM

784 posts, read 1,980,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
A lot of New Yorkers (meaning New York City) and others from nearby New Jersey have moved to eastern Pennsylvania and the Poconos the last ten years or so and there has been some resentment from the local population. Some say that they are making things too expensive for the locals and driving up real estate prices. In places like Reading and Lancaster, they are being blamed for an increase in crime. (As well as the Maryland arrivals, but this about New York.)

Of course a few bad apples spoil the bunch. But generally speaking, I've noticed that people from the Tri-State region of NYC, NJ, and CT tend to be loud and brash which may be offsetting to areas with a more low key population. I work with a New York native at my job in Pittsburgh and he has toned down considerably since he started a couple of years ago.
Whenever a group of people mvoe from an area to another area en-mass, that almost always brings out some resentment in the natives. I live in the West now, and people around here show a similar disdain for Californians, who have moved en-masse to a lot of Western areas much like New Yorkers have flooded Florida, the Carolinas, etc. That being said, many in the West find New Yorkers to be rude, but there does not seem to be any real hostility toward them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.