Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 04:49 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,839,875 times

Advertisements

New York State (Because of NYC)

Florida (because of Miami)

California (because its beautiful)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 05:26 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
New York, New Jersey and Maryland - mainly because of New York City and Washington DC and the economic wealth, culture, history and the lush scenery that surrounds these places.

I also like northern Virginia, Connecticut and Massachusetts for similar reasons, and Arizona and Utah for their other-worldly landscapes.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:13 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
3 - Wisconsin. Born and spent the first 10 years of my life there. Winters absolutely blow, but spring and fall in the Driftless Area are amazing. Plenty of lakes for fishing and dense forest for tree climbing.
Love the Driftless, too, but that 1/4 of the state has zero natural lakes, due to the geography! It's also not what I'd call "densely forested," though there are some nice, smaller forests outside the valley/ridgetop farmland.

So you must love the northwoods, as well, where there are a good 10,000 lakes and dense forest cover.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:29 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Missouri -- Not all that friendly to strangers but among themselves, very good people. Laid back, easy going, not caught in the treadmill or the flow-chart mentality. A state where people glady pay a little extra tax to maintain free-access state parks and over a thousand public wildlife areas, which they are very proud of. Only two proper cities, the exact opposites of each other, both very nice in their own way.

North Dakota -- disappearing fast, but still the best state if you get out past the development. Dotted with a million tiny undisturbed wetlands full of wildlife. Visitors are always warmly welcomed, but rarely show up. Almost every town has a free campground for travelers.

Louisiana -- The state that still dares to be different, and refuses to be caught up in the mainstream. It's been that way for a century, with no plans to change.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:41 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Love the Driftless, too, but that 1/4 of the state has zero natural lakes, due to the geography! It's also not what I'd call "densely forested," though there are some nice, smaller forests outside the valley/ridgetop farmland.

So you must love the northwoods, as well, where there are a good 10,000 lakes and dense forest cover.
I lived in cranberry country on the edge of the Driftless. Plenty of man-made lakes and ponds for the cranberry marshes. Definitely not as dense as the northwoods, but there are areas along the lower Black River Valley that hold their own.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:59 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
All states have culture. They just might not have the kind of culture you like.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:08 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I lived in cranberry country on the edge of the Driftless. Plenty of man-made lakes and ponds for the cranberry marshes. Definitely not as dense as the northwoods, but there are areas along the lower Black River Valley that hold their own.
Gotcha, Black River forest is a weird transported northwoods, kinda, the furthest south where you'll see active wolfpacks and so forth. Not a lot of lakes, but some really dense cover. You also get all those bluffs and mesas around there. Waupaca area also has lakes/forests that rival the northwoods in areas.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:30 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,559,203 times
My three favorite states are

Pennsylvania-It's my home state and having traveled throughout the country I honestly have no desire to live anywhere else. I hate deserts and can't stand when it's constantly over 100 degrees. PA it usually doesn't get that hot and a it has four seasons which is a must for me. The state has a ton of History with some of the most important turning points in the nation happening here ie Gettysburg, Philadelphia with the writing of the US constitution, York the Drafting of the Articles of Confederation, etc. The state also has a very low cost of living compared to other northeastern states which I definitely prefer because it allows me to keep more of the money I make.

Maryland-Having lived in Southern PA close to the Maryland border for so long Maryland...with no disrespect intended feels like an extension of PA for the most part. Maryland is another state with a lot of history in this nation. If I had to live in another state Maryland would be one of my top choices.

Virginia-Similar to PA with a lot of rural areas and doesn't feel congested like other states in the nation do. There was lot of history made in Virginia. Has four seasons and is not terribly hot. People there have always been friendly when I've been through Virginia.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:50 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I think they would have to be the three states I've spent the most time in: Florida, California and New York. I was born and raised in Florida and love it for its good weather and awesome beaches. I lived in California for a little bit, and its a great diverse state with a little bit of everything and also awesome weather. And although I've never lived in New York, I love NYC and have spent so much time there.

States I haven't checked out but would probably like are Oregon and Minnesota.
Haha You have the same options with me.

Florida - Because I am from Miami. Of course the beaches. I miss the shopping. The weather. I miss skateboarding to my P/T job. I miss just sitting on the beach at night with friends and family if there is nothing else to do (although I think it is illegal). Alot of time, I will just sitting by myself on the beach of South beach alone in solitude at night with the sound of ocean and wind in front of me, while I could hear the music and Hustle and bustle of Ocean Drive 300 feet behind me.
Also Orlando. Theme parks. Disney World. I used to have annual pass. And Pollo Tropical mmmm....

New York - Because of NYC! HA! And again the shopping! Broadway - although now you can see Broadway shows pretty much everywhere. Due to my work, I go to NYC alot. but when I did not go in 2 weeks, I will make sure to go there in the weekend leaving my irked partner at home. He works in Manhattan and travel back and forth Monday to Friday so the last thing he wants is going there.

California - To be precise Southern California because a) the weather is wam b) The shopping again DUH! Used to intern in Glendale in a huge company, in which I was technically crushed when I did not get FT job from them . And Disneyland of course!!!!!!!! And binge eating In'n' Out Burger and Jolebee!

Old 02-05-2015, 07:00 AM

676 posts, read 989,819 times
1. Washington/ Oregon
2. Utah
3. Maine/ New Hampshire/ Vermont
4. Pennsylvania
5. Colorado
6. West Virginia/ Kentucky
7. Montana/ Idaho/ Wyoming
8. Arizona/ New Mexico

Last edited by JMT; 02-05-2015 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: Positives only, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.