Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is New Jersey More Like Maryland or Connecticut
Maryland 55 55.00%
Connecticut 45 45.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 03:10 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,349,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Right. And as always, you've provided a mountain of evidence to support your claim.

Among the criteria the OP specifically listed, all that's left to argue about is lifestyle, recreation, and a few other fluff categories. The three objective categories (demographics, history, economy) all tilt towards CT. So how is the lifestyle and recreation in New Jersey more similar to Maryland's than it is to Connecticut's?
As always? Excuse you Bajan? I'm going off personal experience in that statement but that's not common for me. No need for your rude or smart remarks when I did not do it to you or else I will report you in a quick second. How childish.... Calm down because someone has a different opinion than you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 03:12 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,863,376 times
Quote:
Right. And as always, you've provided a mountain of evidence to support your claim.

Among the criteria the OP specifically listed, all that's left to argue about is lifestyle, recreation, and a few other fluff categories. The three objective categories (demographics, history, economy) all tilt towards CT. So how is the lifestyle and recreation in New Jersey more similar to Maryland's than it is to Connecticut's?
It isn't even worth discussing some of your silly claims. NJ isn't on the radar in MD? Sure, that says alot about what you know right there. Some of the claims you make about MD are just astounding and frankly do not warrant a serious response. I suppose it's best to let the poll results shine through (again).

Old 02-10-2015, 03:16 PM

A viewpoint from a poster on City-Data:

"Maryland and New Jersey seem to have quite a bit in common, IMO. Both states have some of the wealthiest counties in the country, yet have some very high crime and decaying areas. Both are dominated by cities outside of their boundaries (this is partially true for Maryland though, as it does have Baltimore), and both states have popular beaches along the midatlantic"

Old 02-10-2015, 03:18 PM

65 posts, read 67,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
As always? Excuse you Bajan? I'm going off personal experience in that statement but that's not common for me. No need for your rude or smart remarks when I did not do it to you or else I will report you in a quick second. How childish.... Calm your little self down because someone has a different opinion than you. What a shame.
Lol yea really. Apparently an angry dude in New York knows more about NJ - oh wait, I'm from NJ and lived in Connecticut and Maryland too. Maybe the people who lived in these places know what they are talking about.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:21 PM

65 posts, read 67,566 times
Quote:

Please continue, this is getting really entertaining!

Old 02-10-2015, 03:21 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
As always? Excuse you Bajan? I'm going off personal experience in that statement but that's not common for me. No need for your rude or smart remarks when I did not do it to you or else I will report you in a quick second. How childish.... Calm your little self down because someone has a different opinion than you. What a shame.
Report me for what? Please.

You rarely provide a citation for anything. The only "fact" that's been presented so far is "vibe."

CT and NJ have the second and third highest Italian percentage in the U.S., respectively. That's fact, not opinion.

Italian American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CT and NJ were both recipients of Yankee migration. Maryland was not. Fact.

Roots And Routes

CT and NJ have counties in the same MSA. MD and NJ do not.

CT and NJ have overlapping media markets. MD and NJ do not.

There's basically very little NJ has in common with MD that CT does not have in common with NJ. However, there are quite a few things NJ has in common with CT that it doesn't have in common with MD (for example, having an Ivy League college).

Old 02-10-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Report me for what? Please.

You rarely provide a citation for anything. The only "fact" that's been presented so far is "vibe."

CT and NJ have the second and third highest Italian percentage in the U.S., respectively. That's fact, not opinion.

Italian American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CT and NJ were both recipients of Yankee migration. Maryland was not. Fact.

Roots And Routes

CT and NJ have counties in the same MSA. MD and NJ do not.

CT and NJ have overlapping media markets. MD and NJ do not.

There's basically very little NJ has in common with MD that CT does not have in common with NJ. However, there are quite a few things NJ has in common with CT that it doesn't have in common with MD (for example, having an Ivy League college).
So because in the one thread I go off by personal experience you can make a basis from all my posts that exceed 900 that I never provide citations in my arguments? Which is totally false, get over yourself.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:27 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
It isn't even worth discussing some of your silly claims. NJ isn't on the radar in MD? Sure, that says alot about what you know right there. Some of the claims you make about MD are just astounding and frankly do not warrant a serious response. I suppose it's best to let the poll results shine through (again).
It's not on the radar. How is NJ "on the radar" in Maryland when there's not even news coverage devoted to anything going on there? There's no overlap in the media markets, no overlap in MSAs, etc. You might as well say that the Outer Banks are "on the radar" for Marylanders because many Marylanders vacation down there.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:30 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,400,569 times
Quote:
........ Maryland and New Jersey have many things in common. I've lived in both states, you clearly have never traveled through New Jersey because then you would know how inaccurate you are.

Also New Jersey isn't located in New England btw.

Wrong. You don't know where I have been, but you are more than open to think your way tho. I don't mind. All I can say is south jersey is the only part anywhere near being similar to Maryland. The rest of it.....no way! Suburban Central Jersey is closer to being like Philly and North Jersey is closer to being like nyc, which is next door to Connecticut, being part of the NY metro area. People even have similar accents.

To me personally, NJ is nothing like Maryland until you go past Camden maybe, but I'm from NYC. A person from NJ might feel like they have more in common with Maryland tho, so it depends on them really, not me. I'm not trying to force my view on anyone here, honestly. You can see NYC on the northeast side of New Jersey and Philadelphia on the central west side across from Trenton.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:20 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times
I have lived in both Northern and Southern NJ. Burlington County, Camden, Glouceseter, and especially Cumberland and Salem counties are more like Maryland. The NJ shore counties are a split audience because they bring down more NYers (which by association aligns more with CT) but because they are beaches, align more with Maryland than Connecticut.

Otherwise, it's easily Connecticut, because Northern NJ has twice as many people as Southern NJ. Culturally, Northern NJ is considerably more aligned with Connecticut than Maryland. Maryland is not in the Philadelphia MSA (which would associate with southern NJ) however, the western part of Connecticut is in the NYC MSA, as is northern NJ. Therefore, the choice to me is clear that NJ has way more in common with Connecticut overall than Maryland, especially when considering social similarity for Northern NJ and Connecticut. Finally, consider land use planning. Northern NJ and Connecticut are way more frugal when it comes to how their suburbs are built out than is Southern NJ and Maryland.

Again, I believe this because of the weight of population distribution to northern NJ. If the opposite was true, I would probably vote the other way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.