Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 09:40 AM

170 posts, read 235,335 times

Advertisements

I have been researching a move out of Texas for months and I've reached the point where cities are starting to blend together in my mind. I thought I would step back for a moment and ask for some opinions and suggestions before I start the process of making a final decision.

For some background- I am a 31 year old single mother to an infant, will be bringing my own $36k/yr income with me wherever I go, leaving Texas primarily for family reasons (needing to get away for health and safety of myself and child) but also consider a desire for a change in the social and political environment a good reason to move.

I have only two absolute requirements:

1.) Low cost of living. While bringing my own income is great, having it only be around $36k/yr is not so great. My rent cap would be around $900/month for either a one or two bedroom apartment that also allows a pet. I will be bringing my car with me so vehicle maintenance costs (gas, insurance, registrations, etc) are a concern, as well as access to suitable parking.

2.) Easy access to healthy lifestyle. This one is a little harder to precisely define. I'm a slowly recovering fat lazy couch potato and I want to be a better role model for my child. I'm looking for cities that have plenty of green spaces and/or parks and/or easy access to any number of outdoor activities (hiking trails, water sports, etc). Walkable neighborhoods would be amazing, though my budget likely won't afford that. Good access to farmer's markets, no issues of 'food deserts', plenty of local gyms, etc are all huge pluses. I can deal with winters but I am unwilling to consider places with long, hot, humid summers as I find it too difficult to remain active in that weather. Basically, I'm looking for a place that has as few obstacles as possible so that I can be successful in maintaining a healthy lifestyle for myself and my child.

If I had a limitless budget, my ideal location would be anywhere in the BosWash Corridor or perhaps the Pacific Northwest. While I usually value diversity, I am uninterested in considering socially and politically conservative areas. I'm looking for as left leaning as possible, though I'm well aware that I have to compromise on how left leaning due to my budget constraints. I would prefer to live somewhere in the Northeast, however I'm reluctant to consider any of the cities near the great lakes, mostly due to weather. I have lived in Western Mass and spent a winter in Chicago so I'm familiar with northern winters, but I did find Chicago a great struggle when it came to the lake effect. I'm definitely considering places outside of the northeast, though another important thing (not quite a requirement) is a city that it centrally located, within easy reach of other places.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and respond. I look forward to any and all responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 10:02 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,231,551 times
We are making reverse moves. I'm 31 year old single male. I highly highly recommend Raleigh,NC. It like the cities in texas is at the top of numerous best places charts, lists and accolades. Decent cost of living. All 4 seasons generally mild, great nice people, diverse, lots of natural beauty, museums. 3 hours to the Mountains and 2 hours to the beach. Come see. I'll be relocating within a couple months to Dallas. Also we have great farmers markets and strawberry season in May is especially fun, lots of patches around. The northeast is a couple ours flight from the airport.

I also recommend, Charlottesville VA, Richmond,VA, Nashville, TN.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:21 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
I too would recommend the Raleigh area, but more specifically the west end of the metro area in Chapel Hill or Carrboro. It has more the lifestyle you're looking for I think versus Raleigh-Cary which tends (not exclusively) more suburban-mall culture versus the "main street" lifestyle seen more in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro area. The public schools are excellent and it's quite safe for kids. The local food/farmers market scene is very strong and it's a walk/bike loving area. The politics tend quite liberal and progressive which would be a good match versus Raleigh-Cary where it can vary quite a bit from area to area. Lastly in terms of budget you'd be in pretty good shape for rent and car ownership costs.

Carrboro Farmers' Market
Weaver Street Market - Locations and Hours
http://carrboro.com/overview.shtml

Old 02-13-2015, 10:54 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,141,983 times
You're not really going to be active in super cold, snowy weather either.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:24 AM

170 posts, read 235,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
This is a matter of personal taste and opinion. I find it a lot easier to be active in cold weather, and even in snow. When living in Western Mass, for example, I learned a lot of snow sports and enjoyed them, I found myself getting to the gym more often, I also walked much more because dealing with the car could be a hassle. I just personally find cold weather to be easier to navigate. On the other hand, I have a very difficult time mustering the energy to get out of my house when it's hot and humid for the 60th day in a row. I don't walk, I don't want to do outdoor activities, I don't want to sweat while getting my car cooled down so that I can go to the gym so that I can sweat even more. Then there are the superficial things. I like winter clothing better, my hair looks nicer in the winter, I actually find my skin is easier to manage in cold weather than hot, humid weather.

A lot of people I know are the exact opposite. Different strokes....

Old 02-13-2015, 11:30 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,534,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameCreativity View Post
I have lived in Western Mass and spent a winter in Chicago so I'm familiar with northern winters, but I did find Chicago a great struggle when it came to the lake effect.
Just a correction - "lake effect" is what warms Chicago in the winter (and cools it in the summer). Occasionally, there will be more snow, but Chicago is far enough down the lake that lake effect storms are relatively uncommon.

If not for the "lake effect," Chicago would have far more extreme winters that it currently does, as with out in the coldest winter region of the country (the Great Plains).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Define "super" cold. In a normal winter, I'm quite active and so are most folks around here. However, if a Texan "struggled" with winter already, he/she probably won't be as active as the locals during winter up north.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:18 AM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameCreativity View Post
I have been researching a move out of Texas for months and I've reached the point where cities are starting to blend together in my mind. I thought I would step back for a moment and ask for some opinions and suggestions before I start the process of making a final decision.

For some background- I am a 31 year old single mother to an infant, will be bringing my own $36k/yr income with me wherever I go, leaving Texas primarily for family reasons (needing to get away for health and safety of myself and child) but also consider a desire for a change in the social and political environment a good reason to move.

I have only two absolute requirements:

1.) Low cost of living. While bringing my own income is great, having it only be around $36k/yr is not so great. My rent cap would be around $900/month for either a one or two bedroom apartment that also allows a pet. I will be bringing my car with me so vehicle maintenance costs (gas, insurance, registrations, etc) are a concern, as well as access to suitable parking.

2.) Easy access to healthy lifestyle. This one is a little harder to precisely define. I'm a slowly recovering fat lazy couch potato and I want to be a better role model for my child. I'm looking for cities that have plenty of green spaces and/or parks and/or easy access to any number of outdoor activities (hiking trails, water sports, etc). Walkable neighborhoods would be amazing, though my budget likely won't afford that. Good access to farmer's markets, no issues of 'food deserts', plenty of local gyms, etc are all huge pluses. I can deal with winters but I am unwilling to consider places with long, hot, humid summers as I find it too difficult to remain active in that weather. Basically, I'm looking for a place that has as few obstacles as possible so that I can be successful in maintaining a healthy lifestyle for myself and my child.

If I had a limitless budget, my ideal location would be anywhere in the BosWash Corridor or perhaps the Pacific Northwest. While I usually value diversity, I am uninterested in considering socially and politically conservative areas. I'm looking for as left leaning as possible, though I'm well aware that I have to compromise on how left leaning due to my budget constraints. I would prefer to live somewhere in the Northeast, however I'm reluctant to consider any of the cities near the great lakes, mostly due to weather. I have lived in Western Mass and spent a winter in Chicago so I'm familiar with northern winters, but I did find Chicago a great struggle when it came to the lake effect. I'm definitely considering places outside of the northeast, though another important thing (not quite a requirement) is a city that it centrally located, within easy reach of other places.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and respond. I look forward to any and all responses.

I would recommend Charlotte, NC or Richmond, VA. Although, walkability may be a struggle in CLT since it's not very urban outside of the Uptown area. But, it meets most of your other criteria.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:38 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
If you want the Northeast, look into metros that are inland. There are small college towns, small cities or even select suburbs that would fit. Plattsburgh, the Binghamton area, Oneonta and maybe the Ithaca area in Upstate NY could work, as all of them are away from the Great Lakes and don't get Lake Effect snow.

Something to keep in mind with the areas near the Great Lakes is that they are generally prepared for the snowfall they get and life goes on as usual, for the most part.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-14-2015 at 11:02 AM..

Old 02-15-2015, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,014 times
Check out Vestal, NY (Broome County, next to Binghamton.) It's a mid sized town (about 27,000) and has Binghamton University (part of the SUNY system.) Great public schools (Vestal Central School District,) lots of shopping, low cost of living (except property taxes CAN be high,) a rail trail to walk, bike, roller blade, everything is conveniently located within a 5-10 minute drive. It's not an extremely walkable town in all areas, but there are residential areas that can be walked or jogged, etc. This is a very "easy" town to live in. Everything is so close, including lots of medical care. There are gyms here, including the $10/month Planet Fitness as well as independent gyms, lots of restaurants, all the big box shopping like Target, Walmart, Kohls, Sam's Club, Lowe's as well as other little shops, there's a Carter's for children's clothing, an Ulta, at least 3 Starbucks, a library, a Barnes and Noble, Chuck e Cheese, a roller skating rink, a Chipotle, good Indian food, fine dining and this is all just in Vestal. The other towns across the river or down the road are full of amenities, too. There are great pumpkin farms, farmer's markets, a mall that's 5 minutes away. I feel spoiled here. The only things I don't like are the cold and the restrictive gun laws. Also, Ithaca, NY is a college town that is extremely liberal, is walkable and has a good economy and natural waterfalls called the Gorges. Winters here in upstate NY can be brutal, but Spring, Summer and Fall are beautiful. Some people say this area is depressed, but there are lots of things to do here, the cost of living is lower than many other places, the people are friendly, plus we have the BEST grocery store on the planet-WEGMANS! It's better than the nice HEBs that you're probably familiar with. Lots of international foods, a huge cheese selection, organic selection, prepared foods restaurant area, etc. You should look it up. There's one in Ithaca and one near Vestal, in Johnson City, about 5 minutes from here.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:55 AM

207 posts, read 339,202 times
BosWash should be eliminated. You specified low cost of living. It would be very hard to live there especially if you have a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.