Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 07:00 PM

574 posts, read 689,248 times

Advertisements

From following this forum over the last few years, I've come to the conclusion that NYC, LA, CHI, DC, and SF are our most powerful and most important cities. It seems like Houston is on the fringes if it's not there already. All in all, I'm rather curious to get your guys' opinion on if any of the following of the cities/metros will take a leap to join the the other top cities and be considered as world class: Houston, Philly, Atlanta, Dallas, Seattle, Miami, Boston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 07:02 PM

351 posts, read 499,762 times
Seattle and Boston, if they aren't already.

Atlanta probably next.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:06 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,389,117 times
Houston is a world class city, it's the oil refinement capitol of the US. ATL for sure, busiest airport in the world.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:20 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times
I'd say Atlanta, Boston, Miami and Philadelphia are already world class. Atlanta for its airport/global companies, Boston being the premier educational city of the United States, Miami being the capital of Latin America, and Philadelphia being a huge IT and biotechnology/health care leader.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:25 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,350,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Houston is a world class city, it's the oil refinement capitol of the US. ATL for sure, busiest airport in the world.
Houston is not a world class city.....

Back to the thread I would say Boston or Atlanta

Old 11-20-2014, 11:50 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
This topic again?

Old 11-20-2014, 12:02 PM

779 posts, read 1,009,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ambitious View Post
From following this forum over the last few years, I've come to the conclusion that NYC, LA, CHI, DC, and SF are our most powerful and most important cities. It seems like Houston is on the fringes if it's not there already. All in all, I'm rather curious to get your guys' opinion on if any of the following of the cities/metros will take a leap to join the the other top cities and be considered as world class: Houston, Philly, Atlanta, Dallas, Seattle, Miami, Boston
I think it's really hard to say. A big factor is not just the size of the city but also the plans that have gone in to the city to bring certain amenities. Things like public transit are big part of this. I'm not sure which of these cities would be next but I think Atlanta is well on its way. However, transportation is a HUGE problem like Atlanta and Houston because there is so much sprawl. I don't know how either of these cities could ever build out an efficient public transit system at this point due to the costs.

In terms of influence as an "international city," I would choose Atlanta and Miami. They do a lot in the way of pop culture. That obviously isn't everything to a city but there is a lot of attention to these cities in media.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:02 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
My opinion -

Current world class cities.

NYC
-
-
Chicago
Los Angeles
-
San Francisco
Washington
Miami
Boston
Atlanta

The next world class cities.

Dallas
Philadelphia
Houston

Old 11-20-2014, 12:54 PM

6,075 posts, read 9,100,962 times
I would place NYC, Washington, LA, Miami, Seattle, San Fran, Chicago, and Boston as world class cities.
I would say the next fringe would be: Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Denver, Philly, Minneapolis, and Vegas(for tourism)
Then the level bellow that (up and coming/almost there): San Diego, Portland, Charlotte, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Tampa, Orlando, Providence, Austin, San Antonio, Phoenix, New Orleans,

Old 11-20-2014, 12:56 PM

10,644 posts, read 16,027,294 times
Seattle and Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.