Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2015, 09:56 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,921,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Well they don't really have a choice in the matter. If they had a choice to have AC or not what do you think they would choose?
They would choose to live life freely and peacefully, in a way that they would be able to enjoy the Earth, and not be cooped up indoors running the A/C like an energy hog.

Quote:
Most places in Hawaii have AC so it's not like the majority of people are living without it so I don't know why you keep bringing it up.

You have never been to Hawaii have you?

The majority of people live much closer to the coast, the trade winds are much more consistent than whatever winds the south sees, and many homes are on slopes/hills that get consistent sea breezes despite being several miles inland. But many homes are positioned or built in a way that don't get or take advantage of the trade winds and definitely need AC, again I don't get why you keep acting like that most people in HI live without AC when almost all places have it. I think I've pretty much always have used AC at night to sleep in Hawaii except when we stayed in a house directly on the ocean that was built very openly and took advantage of the trade winds, even then I still had a fan going.
People in Hawaii may have A/C, but people constantly put forth the notion that they can live in the archipelago without the need for A/C. Just saying that with that kind of logic, much of the South can easily be lived upon without A/C as well.

The Gulf/South Atlantic breezes from the South are constant and are strong; not sure why they magically won't be consistent like you suggested. Furthermore, such breezes are often accompanied by awesome summer thunderstorms that cool the air refreshingly, sorely lacking in areas of Hawaii under the rain-shadow. Heat in the South at least lets up, and gives way to a distinct cooler period of the year, unlike Hawaii, where the heat is constant year-round; allows opportunity for all kinds of insects to scare the mainlanders. Actually go try living in the South without energy wasting A/Cs like I have, and you will actually see that it is not that bad.

Quote:
What makes you think most people "willfully" live without AC here?

So do you "willfully" live without AC year round?
The fact that they are constantly described as tropical island paradises, where one can live without the need for A/C. Each one of those island groups sees weather conditions similar to Southern summers, but year-round, yet they are paradises, while the South is Hell. See the double standard?

Yes, I have lived on the Gulf Coast without A/C, in a bungalow, just as loads of people have in the region for centuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
There's a big difference between giving up and your opinions being absolutely ridiculous.
My opinions are actually reasonable if you think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 10:50 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
The fact that they are constantly described as tropical island paradises, where one can live without the need for A/C. Each one of those island groups sees weather conditions similar to Southern summers, but year-round, yet they are paradises, while the South is Hell. See the double standard?
No matter what people say, no region on this earth is a paradise. Hawaii is not a paradise. Sorry, the South is not a paradise either.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:53 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
They would choose to live life freely and peacefully, in a way that they would be able to enjoy the Earth, and not be cooped up indoors running the A/C like an energy hog.
Considering any developed nation in the tropics, such as Singapore, and the wealthy/upper classes in third world countries have AC I highly doubt they would be turning it down if they had a choice.

Quote:
People in Hawaii may have A/C, but people constantly put forth the notion that they can live in the archipelago without the need for A/C. Just saying that with that kind of logic, much of the South can easily be lived upon without A/C as well.
They have AC and use it, sure more people probably don't use it in comparison to the South but the majority have it.

Quote:
The Gulf/South Atlantic breezes from the South are constant and are strong; not sure why they magically won't be consistent like you suggested. Furthermore, such breezes are often accompanied by awesome summer thunderstorms that cool the air refreshingly, sorely lacking in areas of Hawaii under the rain-shadow. Heat in the South at least lets up, and gives way to a distinct cooler period of the year, unlike Hawaii, where the heat is constant year-round; allows opportunity for all kinds of insects to scare the mainlanders. Actually go try living in the South without energy wasting A/Cs like I have, and you will actually see that it is not that bad.
HAVE YOU EVER BEEN TO HAWAII?

Quote:
I've really never heard many people saying the climate in those places is mild enough to live without AC. I've heard many times about how hot and humid they can get though. Have you ever been to a tropical island? It's bizarre you try to equate those places to the Southeastern US with regards to climate.

Quote:
Yes, I have lived on the Gulf Coast without A/C, in a bungalow, just as loads of people have in the region for centuries.
So you currently live with AC then?

Old 05-10-2015, 01:10 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
Any person who has been there wouldn't be saying the kind of stuff he is.

Old 05-10-2015, 01:12 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
My opinions are actually reasonable if you think about it.
Well you have nobody else to agree with you, so apparently not.

Old 05-10-2015, 02:13 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
It can be done, especially in the coastal areas of the region.

All you have to do is design your home in a way that it is at tune with the natural surroundings. For example, make use of patios, and airy materials for the home to capture the full scope of the swift sea-breezes that come through the region from the Gulf/South Atlantic, allowing the home to keep cool during summer, in conjunction with fans of any sort. Choose any of the large subtropical trees native to the region, such as Live Oak, Magnolia, or Bay trees, for planting, and you will have large opportunities for shade during the heat of summer. Yes, there is heat and humidity, but such conditions are also accompanied by frequent cooling thunderstorms and gusts, which help to suppress any uncomfort; even on the days it doesn't rain, skies in the Coastal South are rarely ever clear during summer, often featuring large, puffy cumulus clouds, allowing for time after time of relief as those clouds pass over the sun. Summers in the Coastal South truly capture the same tropical allure seen in places like the Congo, the Amazon, or the Hawaii Islands.

Majority of the time during winter, the Coastal South features mild/warm conditions, with temps of at least 60F or higher, along with sunshine and blue skies. Typical winter nights go no lower than the 40F range. These conditions are present for enough winter days in the South to allow for comfortable conditions without Heat. Freezing temps are few and far between in this part of the South; when they do happen during the year, it is often no less than the lower 30s, or upper 20s, and are usually confined to the early morning hours. Most of these freezes in the Coastal South happen under clear skies, meaning that often times, later in the afternoon after the morning light freeze, temps can rebound right up to pleasant levels (at least upper 50s, and above), due to warming effect of the powerful, low latitude sun. On the flip side, areas of the region can experience handfuls of chilly, cloudy days during winter, but with such clouds, temps do not drop much during the night. Given such conditions, winters in the Coastal South require no more than a sweater/hoodie.

Many areas in the world with similar climates to the Coastal South, such as China, North India, Southern Brazil, Eastern South Africa, etc., do just fine without AC, or Heat, as did the people living in the South before the invention of those systems. It can be done.
Yes. Those places are just a bastion of high quality life aren't they? Everyone there is so happy all the time and living conditions are excellent.

Old 05-10-2015, 02:21 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Yes, it's not comfortable but I think you're being extreme about it. If it was so miserable I doubt cities like New Orleans and Charleston would have gotten so big at those times.

Yeah, I wouldn't live in Houston without heat either though on a typical winter you may use it 10-20 times at night.

In the north, no heat would be deadly. There is the difference I think need's to be made. AC is a luxury, even in the south, heat is a necessity for life, especially in the north.

While I would not live in Minnesota without heating in my house, just remember that non-white people have been living there for centuries with very primitive technology compared with today's heating systems, and the Inuit in Alaska have had to deal with worse conditions.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:21 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,921,505 times
Quote:
Yes I have. I've spent time in both Honolulu, and Hilo.

But even if one hasn't been to Hawaii, he or she can still use pure logic and common sense to deduce the fact that Hawaii would have insect activity as great as the South, or even greater, given that it is a tropical isle where temps stay warm year-round. The common man knows that such conditions are conducive to the habitation of all sorts of insects.

Quote:
I've really never heard many people saying the climate in those places is mild enough to live without AC. I've heard many times about how hot and humid they can get though. Have you ever been to a tropical island? It's bizarre you try to equate those places to the Southeastern US with regards to climate.
Well, look around, and you see loads of people proclaiming all sorts of tropical islands as great places to live without A/C. Those same people then turn around, and say that the South is atrocious without A/C. That is the double standard I am trying to combat.

The nature of heat and humidity on tropical islands are no different than what is seen in a Southern summer. In addition, frequent cooling thunderstorms, and sea-breezes are seen in the South during summer, just like they are in all those tropical islands.

I was not equating the Southern climate to those islands, only stating that the summers of the region are no different than what occurs year-round on those islands. In fact, I've been saying that the South is an even better place to live in without A/C than those islands because at least it has a distinct cooler period during the winter season, where the temps aren't as high, and nights cool down enough.

Quote:
So you currently live with AC then?
Yep, in a bungalow right on the Gulf Coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Any person who has been there wouldn't be saying the kind of stuff he is.
Everything I said is pure logic and common sense. For example, it is common knowledge that the ideal conditions for insects tend to be in warm humid environments. Considering that such environments exist year-round in those tropical islands than they do in the South, which cools of for part of the year, it would then follow that the insect activity would be more profuse in the tropics than in the South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Yes. Those places are just a bastion of high quality life aren't they? Everyone there is so happy all the time and living conditions are excellent.
You'd be surprised at how happy the people in those areas are compared to many people from the US.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:32 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Yes I have. I've spent time in both Honolulu, and Hilo.

But even if one hasn't been to Hawaii, he or she can still use pure logic and common sense to deduce the fact that Hawaii would have insect activity as great as the South, or even greater, given that it is a tropical isle where temps stay warm year-round. The common man knows that such conditions are conducive to the habitation of all sorts of insects.

Well, look around, and you see loads of people proclaiming all sorts of tropical islands as great places to live without A/C. Those same people then turn around, and say that the South is atrocious without A/C. That is the double standard I am trying to combat.

The nature of heat and humidity on tropical islands are no different than what is seen in a Southern summer. In addition, frequent cooling thunderstorms, and sea-breezes are seen in the South during summer, just like they are in all those tropical islands.

I was not equating the Southern climate to those islands, only stating that the summers of the region are no different than what occurs year-round on those islands. In fact, I've been saying that the South is an even better place to live in without A/C than those islands because at least it has a distinct cooler period during the winter season, where the temps aren't as high, and nights cool down enough.

Yep, in a bungalow right on the Gulf Coast.

Everything I said is pure logic and common sense. For example, it is common knowledge that the ideal conditions for insects tend to be in warm humid environments. Considering that such environments exist year-round in those tropical islands than they do in the South, which cools of for part of the year, it would then follow that the insect activity would be more profuse in the tropics than in the South.

You'd be surprised at how happy the people in those areas are compared to many people from the US.
Putting climate aside for a second the culture, scenery, and everything else between Hawaii and the Gulf Coast should be factored in.

I can't stand heat and humidity. That's why I live in coastal Southern California. I use no heating or cooling.

Having said that, I'd rather be "sticky" in Maui than "sticky" in Mobile...based on every other quality of life factor (and I do mean EVERY other).

Old 05-10-2015, 05:45 PM

515 posts, read 631,724 times
I couldn't even live in NYC without AC in the summer, and I definitely can't do that in the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.