Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 11:58 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,924,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I think we need a new definition of the word paradise. That or we maybe are using it too loosely.
Why so? Paradise is an appropriate term for those cities, along with the rest of the South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
It has SUMMER stability, which is the time of year I want to be reliable. The winter is a roller coaster. Seasons are much less defined than places at higher latitudes, so having a smaller temperature range for the whole year doesn't necessarily indicate day-to-day stability.

Looking at the average absolute min & max for January, no other coastal region in the US beats the southeast in terms of variety:

Seattle: 25, 56 (range of 31)
San Francisco: 40, 67 (range of 37)
Los Angeles: 41, 83 (range of 42)
New York City: 9, 60 (range of 51)
Boston: 4, 56 (range of 52)
Philadelphia: 9, 62 (range of 53)

Houston: 27, 78 (range of 51)
Mobile: 22, 75 (range of 53)
Savannah: 22, 76 (range of 54)
Charleston: 21, 75 (range of 54)
Wilmington: 18, 74 (range of 56)
Jacksonville: 24, 80 (range of 56)
Yes, winter in the South is a roller-coaster; a small kiddie roller-coaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Again, you don't even realize how patronizing you sound. You really think those millions of Chinese are stupid and aren't aware of these so-called superior native cooling techniques? And the last thing a rational business owner wants to do is use an inferior and more expensive process when a cheaper alternative will do. People aren't stupid and generally know what is in their own best interests, and when given the choice, people of all ethnic and cultural backgrounds all over the world vote for air conditioning.
When I said "made aware," I meant it in more of a "calling to attention" sort of manner; as in, if those striking workers are demanding more comfortable conditions for the factories, focus and attention can be given towards their native cooling techniques. In that way, the workers won't see A/C as the only method of keeping cool effectively, and can see their native techniques in a new light.

You are right that people want cheaper alternatives over inferior, more expensive processes; the alternative cooling-methods to A/C can cool a building just as effectively as A/C, all without the hefty energy bill. People would readily accept the cheaper, less wasteful alternatives over A/C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Eh. Given a choice, I vote for no A/C at least at home. And in another public places. Half the time in the summer I'm as uncomfortable from being too chilled rather too warm. I look forward to getting out of A/C.
Illustrates the wastefulness associated with A/C use; people just have them blasting to the point that even Santa Claus would get the shivers. In the end, you move from one dimension of uncomfort to the next, all while energy and money gets flushed down the drain.

The native cooling techniques from both the Africans, and the Asians, as well as several alternative methods to A/C, cool the home just enough to ensure proper homeostasis, and with the energy-efficiency not seen with A/C use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 12:04 AM

605 posts, read 669,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Before air conditioning, wealthy Southerners use to flock to northern resorts in the summer (such as Newport) or at least the mountains, while poorer Southerners actually moved North for much of the 1800s and 1900s.

So yeah, you could live in the Deep South without air conditioning but why would you want too!?
That had to deal more with the the fact that there were well paying jobs in the Midwest and Northeast (particularly in places such as Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, etc) in the manufacturing industry rather than climate, since the South was still pretty agrarian at that time.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:06 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,405,345 times
MOST OF THE TIME, the temps were lower than they are now.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
MOST OF THE TIME, the temps were lower than they are now.
Yeah, UHI has artificially heated temps in many southern cities beyond what they normally would be. Cities like Houston, or New Orleans were not hot at all naturally during summer until UHI.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:31 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Why so? Paradise is an appropriate term for those cities, along with the rest of the South.
as well as the rest of the world if we want to use it loosely.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:25 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
From tropical weather to wintry weather, you can have it all in the deep south!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjLjNlewnfE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGD8O6X3sj4

Although obviously the former scenario is far more common.
You can have that in the Midwest, too. I dont understand your point.

What I do chuckle at, however, is the lightning video title. "Lightening"? Really?

Old 06-17-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
as well as the rest of the world if we want to use it loosely.
Well, yes; they all have their own reasons for being paradise in the eyes of many.

The reasons why I believe the South is a paradise include, but are not limited to, verdant lush vegetation, abundant rainfall, mild temperatures year-round temp ranges compared to the rest of the country, lack of scary extreme weather, colorful charming cities and vibrant culture in all the cities, as well as having very beautiful beaches.

No beach in the CONUS can touch this:
Destin, FL:

Neither A/C, nor Heat is required for comfort in the South. Conditions are much too comfortable year-round.

Last edited by Yn0hTnA; 06-17-2015 at 02:50 PM..

Old 06-17-2015, 02:44 PM

371 posts, read 543,504 times
You're ridiculous.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFiftyFour View Post
You're ridiculous.
The South is a very comfortable region weather-wise, and I say this as someone who has experienced warm regions all around the world, from South Brazil, to South Africa, to even the jungles of Sumatra. The South has abundant rainfall, and the resulting lush vegetation that comes with it. The weather is also quite stable, with a mild temp range relative to the rest of the US. What's not to like?

Old 06-17-2015, 03:01 PM

371 posts, read 543,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
The South is a very comfortable region weather-wise, and I say this as someone who has experienced tropical/subtropical regions all around the world, from South Brazil, to South Africa, to even the jungles of Sumatra.
maybe for someone like you, but not for someone like me. Your statements are not fact, but just opinion... and I, like many others, have heard your opinion several times and understand you like living in your "subtropical paradise." We got it, dude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.