Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with where you currently live?
Love it, not moving 52 50.49%
Love it, but unfortunately I will be moving 7 6.80%
Hate it, suck here 13 12.62%
Hate it, but will be moving 15 14.56%
Other, comment 16 15.53%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 05:18 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,219,447 times

Advertisements

St. Petersburg,Fl. Love the city itself but hate the weather and the rest of the state. Planning to move out of Florida and the South entirely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 10:21 AM

35 posts, read 42,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shappel View Post
I live in Madison, WI, and there are plenty of days where I absolutely dread leaving my apartment (You'll figure out when those days might occur if you keep reading!). But sometimes I do have to take a step back and realize what a place like Madison has that I take for granted.

Pros:
- Madison is a super safe place. I am spoiled to live in a place where I can open my front door any time of the day or night and feel secure.
- Madison has lots of recreational opportunities. There are bike paths, parks, lakes, beaches, nature preserves, golf courses, tennis courts, swimming pools, snow mobile trails, and more!
- Madison is aesthetically pleasing. The skyline is a postcard, the streets are clean, the air is fresh, and the downtown is well kept and growing.
- Madison is the perfect size. On my bike I can ride from the exciting downtown to the countryside where the smell of manure reins and back again. That's pretty cool!
- The State Capitol of Wisconsin is a gem. I walk in the state capitol every now and again just to remind myself how beautiful it is; a must see!
- The farmers market, concerts on the square, Taste of Madison, Art Fair on the Square, and the winter festival are just some of the fun events held on the Capitol Square.
- Madison has one of the highest rates of restaurants per capita, creating endless possibilities for new and unique options to dine.
- I am personally not into the art scene, but Madison certainly is! Art Fair on the Square, art on State Street, and open houses and opportunities at an abundance of local museums and shops makes Madison an artists' paradise.

Cons:
- WINTER! By far the biggest problem I have with Madison, and really all of Wisconsin and the Upper Midwest, is the winter season. Unlike the Northeast, Great Lakes, and parts of the Ohio Valley and Great Plains, when it snows it is usually followed by single digit temps, which is just too cold to really do anything with.

The same,endless winter cycle happens here in VT too. It snows,then it goes to -20 degrees.
-
Madison is a one-sided, narrow minded political city. Madison is extremely liberal, not just in voting patterns, but in everyday life. Conservatives have no place at the table, are looked down upon, and are treated intellectually inferior, which is a shame.

This is the entire state of Vermont!

- WINTER! Winter does not have thaws, it is just an icebox between Thanksgiving and St. Patrick's Day. I'm from here, and it drives me crazy when locals jump for joy just because it's 40 degrees outside. That's not warm!
- State Street, in my opinion, is not all it's talked up to be. Madison's nightlife is really a dirty bar scene that is overwhelmed by desperate college students on weekends. Not too far off of State Street are some "historic" Madison neighborhoods, which are nothing but rundown 100 year old houses that create a bad image for the rest of Madison's downtown.
- WINTER! Winter is not 3 months, it is 5, and don't let anybody tell you otherwise! It brings all the worst in winter conditions without any fun: it's too cold to do anything fun and there isn't enough snow to do anything fun with. The streets are just filthy with old, salted, plowed, and driven over gray and black "snow" that ruins shoes and pant-bottoms.

Absolutely,only here it's 6 months--middle of Nov. to middle of May.

- The people. I know that there are good and bad people everywhere, but one thing I hate about the Midwest is that people are afraid of other people. Madison epitomizes this: making eye contact, saying excuse me, asking for help, coughing or sneezing, and especially smiling are all looked down upon.
- WINTER! I just wanted to remind the reader that winter in Madison SUCKS!
Yes,winter does suck!

Old 03-05-2015, 01:47 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
I moved here to Fairfield County, CT two years ago and hate it with a passion. Worst place ever, unless you're rich, snooty or are family oriented. There's no one to date, houses are extremely expensive, traffic is atrocious, it's very fast paced, boring, people are rude and honk their horns all the time, and the people are too sophisticated.

Fortunately, I have plans to move out in just two months from now and am counting down the DAYS.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:22 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,689,105 times
Im 40 min north of dayton ohio. Though I do like the small town we live in (nice community feel, lower crime, low cost of living) we really want to move out of state within a year. I hate the winters, I dont like dayton though it has some things to offer is depressing to me. We have to drive almost an hour to get to good shopping areas/malls ect. Im inbetween on love/hate. Its a nice town to raise a family, decent schools but just not for us at this point in our lives. It really lacks a lot we are looking for.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:32 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Oklahoma City, lived here for three years and I dislike it. As a single guy in my late twenties who is moderate to liberal politically, I feel at complete odds with the culture. I also prefer more urban cities and OKC, though up and coming, just isn't there yet. Unfortunately I am stuck here for the time being but will be moving as soon as I have the opportunity to.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:53 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,331,316 times
I love it for the simple fact that I have a good job that pays more than what I could ever make anywhere else and my family is here. I hate everything else about this place, and sometimes it makes me angry to think that I could have a ton of friends and dates living in a more vibrant city. But I'd probably be poor.

Is there an online dating website out there for people who live in the middle of nowhere and intentionally want to long distance date and relocate for the right person? lol Seriously, I would do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.