Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 11:44 AM

10 posts, read 64,849 times

Advertisements

Good day,

I am utterly confused. I took my time to go to specific states and started threads hoping to get clearer ideas on cities within these states that I am interested in....all efforts have amounted to me getting more confused. I think one area may sound interesting and ask a few question, then all of a sudden a war starts between posters, each one taking sides for and against their favored, or unfavored, city. I ended up here hoping to get some advice on where I can effectively raise my family and have a better way of life than where I am now. So here is my story and I welcome any and all input...

I am a 36 year old husband, stepfather/ father to 3 girls, business owner to 2 businesses and co-owner to another. I live in Clev, OH and despise the cold, unstable weather (I know you have all heard that from a Northerner before, but I am not delusional enough to believe that anyplace but here with a warmer climate is paradise). My hobbies are running, motorcycling, hot-rods, and when given the opportunity, swimming. Notice.. these hobbies do not coincide very effectively with a cold climate.

My 2 stepdaughters are 12 and 9 years old.....both A - B students, artistic, sports-oriented, musically gifted and generally great kids. My little one is 4 1/2 and has not yet begun regular school curriculum, but is intelligent and artistic as well. Needless to say, with more than one child, a private education is basically out of the question cost wise. So a stellar public school system with a good curriculum is paramount.

My wife runs my 2 businesses as far as accounting and is office manager for my co-owned business. The two businesses that I own are 1. a mobile automotive paint restoration system which deals primarily with car dealerships and private customers needing minor repair to bumpers, moldings, mirrors, pin striping and general scratch and chip repair....basically a mobile body shop on wheels - done right on the spot while maintaining true body shop quality at about a third the cost. 2. a custom paint and leather smithing company for bikes, musical instruments, or anything else you can think of. We craft and hand-tool leather items such as motorcycle seats, leather guitar straps, belts, furniture upholstery, etc. as well as custom painting motorcycles, and old school pin striping to hot rods and trucks. My 3rd and co-owned company is a real estate investment company in which myself and 2 other partners are buying and renting vacation properties. We have purchased in the Savannah, GA region and as far as vacationing and culture, my wife and I fell in love with it, but in doing research, have found that the schooling is terrible and the number of Northern transplants and the predudices that accompany them is astronomical......nothing productive as of yet. Occupationally speaking, I will settle for nothing less than the ability to develope strong wealth in all I do and wherever we move must allow me the possibilities to do this.....I need to try to find a strong economy.

Weather-wise, what can I say? I have literally had it up to my ears with the cold, the grey skies, erratic weather conditions, aching bones from the dampness, the inability to ride my motorcycle, or go running much more than 5 or 6 moths out of 12, etc. Anyone from up in the Northeast will attest to the fact that regardless of family, friends, a good paying job, or otherwise, our weather has got to be one of the sh--iest in the nation. I hear San Diego has the finest, but I would prefer not to have to spend what I am used to making in a month to survive for a week there. Climate is a huge factor in our reasons to move away.

Economy is another factor. Now before starting any wars, I will admit that everything is cyclical and Cleveland may come back around, but if does so in 10 years from now, it does nothing for me now. I need a strong economy or one that is on an upswing rather than one that is in the crapper. Fact is - Cleveland had a terrific hay-day as a blue collar, steel producing city. All this has changed and many people over the years have lost there jobs or gotten pay cuts. Our economy has suffered deeply and will need many years to come around. I don't want to hang and wait and miss another opportunity elsewhere just because I have "family or friends" here. There is really nothing here that you can't find in any other major city....what did you say? the Rock Hall?....even the inductees and ceremonies are held in other cities. That should tell you something.

I realize that there is no "utopia" or "paradise" on earth, but I also know that there are other locations other than here that may be better for my family, my income, my businesses, my future, and my health. We make our own good fortunes by how we think....but I am out of thoughts in Cleveland. We need another place to call home. I really look forward to some constructive input and welcome all advice.

Help.....
Gino
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2006, 01:57 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times
No matter what place you decide to consider, there will be members here who love it and those who hate it. It's hard to weed out fact from opinion.

Have you considered North Carolina? The economy is booming, the Raleigh area is one of the most popular places to move to right now. Schools are good and there are a number of good universities in the area, too. The weather IMO is nice - you will still have the 4 seasons, but you will not have such bitter cold. Housing is affordable. I would think your line of work is needed anywhere. For motorcycle rides, you could take a trip to the Blue Ridge Skyline Parkway, which is gorgeous.

My husband and I have been working on figuring out where to relocate to, for the past 2 years. We also considered Georgia but counted it out because their schools are so poor. The Raleigh area was our #1 contender for a long time, we ended up liking someplace else better but I would still feel comfortable recommending Raleigh.

Best of luck.

Old 11-19-2006, 03:19 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,908,723 times
Here in North Carolina, the Charlotte area would be a great choice. Lots of recreational assets/things to do, awesome 4-season climate with lots of sun, tons of jobs, very family-friendly, racing capital (since you like cars), affordable place to live, great airport, 2 hrs. from mountains/3.5 hrs. from coast/a little over 1 hr. from Blue Ridge Pkwy., home to the U.S. National Whitewater Center, and clean, green, with two huge lakes. It'd be worth a weekend visit to see what you think. PM me if you want any specifics. Good luck in your search!!!

Old 01-07-2008, 11:24 PM

7 posts, read 30,143 times
stay out of alabama, we dont need no northerners round here. No offence to you and your family but we got a certain way of livin down here and we dont want know changes from outsiders. thanks and good luck

Old 01-07-2008, 11:30 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS01 View Post
stay out of alabama, we dont need no northerners round here. No offence to you and your family but we got a certain way of livin down here and we dont want know changes from outsiders. thanks and good luck
Errrmm...I'm hoping you're joking?

Old 01-08-2008, 04:54 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
Quote:

this post delivers lol

Old 01-08-2008, 06:04 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
I was not aware of a second Alabama:>)
The one we moved to several years ago turned into home for us. Birmingham offers all the amenities of a metropolitan city just on a smaller scale and a lot less known. From schools to art to dining - it is here. The summers are hot but bearable and a stray snow flake is considered winter.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:37 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Errrmm...I'm hoping you're joking?

No, I don't think he is.

The South, and true Southerners, really don't appreciate, nor like, the Northerners coming down and trying to change their way of life and the distinctly southern culture.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:34 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
No, I don't think he is.

The South, and true Southerners, really don't appreciate, nor like, the Northerners coming down and trying to change their way of life and the distinctly southern culture.
Well I don't like Southerners voting in presidents who are incompetent either, but I'm still friendly and cordial to them and would NEVER shun them away from moving North to Pennsylvania on account of this.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:38 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Well I don't like Southerners voting in presidents who are incompetent either, but I'm still friendly and cordial to them and would NEVER shun them away from moving North to Pennsylvania on account of this.
I could say that the Northeasterner voted for an incompetent President also

Clearly though, the South has a unique culture that you may not understand

As for the western regions - trust me when I say, that the Easterners did not help this region when they moved here. Also, we are more than glad when they leave in the Spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.