Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 07:17 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Grow up kiddo, willya?

All this thread was intended to be was, to ones own ears, how state names sound.

You are apparently one of those who do not ever quite get it. The glass is always half-empty, and no matter what, you are one of those who make it ugly...as in the intention.

Lighten up, lil' gal. Just list the states whose names sound lovely to you, and the ones what that less pleasant to the ears.

I swear, some people are just nothing more than sticks in the mud. You come across as one of them.
I'm grown. I get it. I don't need to lighten up. I'm just telling you what I think - which I am allowed to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 07:58 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Nanny nanny boo boo!

Old 03-16-2015, 08:36 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Lyrically lovely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSvJ9SN8THE

Old 03-16-2015, 09:05 AM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,898 times
Some of y'all will fight about anything lol. It's just state names, we aren't saying anything about the actual places, what it's like to live there, etc.

Anyway, my list:
Lyrical:
1. Arizona
2. Minnesota
3. Louisiana
4. Pennsylvania
5. Tennessee

Harsh:
1. New York
2. Utah
3. Arkansas
4. Rhode Island
5. Connecticut

Old 03-16-2015, 03:10 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
=jtur88;38832270]So far, the only states not named by anybody, good or bad,,are

Arizona
Kansas
Nevada
Texas
Washington
West Virginia
I would, personally, consider most of those, "neutral". Not overtly "ugly", yet not particularly "pretty" either.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:39 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
My picks are Georgia, Louisiana, Indiana, Illinois, California, Hawaii, Missouri, and Ohio. I always thought those rolled off the tongue the best.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:24 AM

Quote:
=JerseyGirl415;38834184]I'm grown. I get it. I don't need to lighten up. I'm just telling you what I think - which I am allowed to do.
Yes, you are. But in doing it, you seem to be something like the Aesop fable which has it that a critter falls into the hay and doesn't want to eat it themself, but messes it up for everyone else.

That is what I meant by lighten up. Once again, it has nothing to do with how one might view the state, just how the pronunciation rolls off your own tongue. And people from different parts of the country might pronounce another state different than natives of that state do. It doesn't make it wrong at all, either way. For instance, my ex wife says "Ar-KANSAS River (she is from Kansas). I think it sounds a little unpleasant on the ears...as I say Ar-Kin-saw. But it doesn't mean she is "wrong", or that I am right.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:50 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Yes, you are. But in doing it, you seem to be something like the Aesop fable which has it that a critter falls into the hay and doesn't want to eat it themself, but messes it up for everyone else.

That is what I meant by lighten up. Once again, it has nothing to do with how one might view the state, just how the pronunciation rolls off your own tongue. And people from different parts of the country might pronounce another state different than natives of that state do. It doesn't make it wrong at all, either way. For instance, my ex wife says "Ar-KANSAS River (she is from Kansas). I think it sounds a little unpleasant on the ears...as I say Ar-Kin-saw. But it doesn't mean she is "wrong", or that I am right.
This was a late response.

Again - I don't need to lighten up. I'm not mad about anything. I understand the point of this thread but chose to not participate, because I don't really find any state names particularly nice or ugly sounding. I just think it's ironic you say you don't mean to offend because this kind of thread always offends people. I'M not offended - I'm just telling you I think this is the kind of thread that starts s*it. Especially because it is so arbitrary and pronunciation depends on who you are and where you are. You are the one who is getting so mad for me simply sharing this view. Please keep sharing what you guys think about state names, I just think it's one of those more inflammatory threads or at least that's how some will view it. A lot of negativity is around here - even if it's simply someone saying "your state name sounds ugly." With bad stereotypes about so many states, it's nice to see positive threads.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:04 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,372,464 times
Georgia, considering it has the most famous song with it's name...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZceOIAh1i0

Old 03-21-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
=JerseyGirl415;38900969]This was a late response.

Again - I don't need to lighten up. I'm not mad about anything. I understand the point of this thread but chose to not participate, because I don't really find any state names particularly nice or ugly sounding. I just think it's ironic you say you don't mean to offend because this kind of thread always offends people. I'M not offended - I'm just telling you I think this is the kind of thread that starts s*it. Especially because it is so arbitrary and pronunciation depends on who you are and where you are. You are the one who is getting so mad for me simply sharing this view. Please keep sharing what you guys think about state names, I just think it's one of those more inflammatory threads or at least that's how some will view it. A lot of negativity is around here - even if it's simply someone saying "your state name sounds ugly." With bad stereotypes about so many states, it's nice to see positive threads.
No, I can tell you really don't get it! LOL And I am not mad at you at all. I simply think you have a humorless facet about you, and really don't get the whole point. You are the one making it "inflammatory".

I happen to think the name of my own state, Texas, is not the prettiest in the world. But I wouldn't live anywhere else. And I don't blame people from out of state if they think Texas doesn't sound particularly pleasing. No biggie. On the other hand, I happen to like the sound of "Massachusetts" even though I wouldn't live in it for anything.

I have a feeling you are the type that would find shlit in cotton candy. Well, that is something you may have to work out yourself.

One mistake I did make, on the "Cuber" thing was I said "northeast" but really meant New England. My bad.

By the way, I happen to think that "New Jersey" is nothing made of rose petals either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.