Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2015, 08:01 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times

Advertisements

Pretentious: SF, Seattle, San Diego, Miami, Boston, Denver, DC, Minneapolis, parts of Chicago, New York and LA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 08:11 PM

Unpretentious: parts of NYC, LA, Chicago; Philadelphia, Houston, Phoenix, New Orleans, Detroit, Kansas City, Las Vegas

Old 11-29-2015, 09:46 AM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
The fact that SF is becoming a bedroom community of Silicon Valley is something that makes it unique? Um, ok...

And you can say it won't become a bedroom community but a bedroom community is, by definition, a place people come home to when they work elsewhere. If more and more tech workers like you say are living in SV and living in SF, how is SF not becoming a bedroom community?
I don't think it matters that these tech workers live in SF and work in SV? Does that make SF less than in some way? If half the population of SF worked somewhere else in the Bay Area, SF would still be an interesting place to live. Does it make San Jose/SV less than because some of it's workforce lives in SF?

My partner lives in Sacramento (very unpretentious) and works for a Silicon Valley tech company. He goes to the headquarters in Silicon Valley only once or twice a year. The company has offices in Sacramento and San Francisco (pretentious) as well as the SV. 99% of offsite overnight meetings are held in some fancy hotel/near a winery in the Napa Valley.

Last edited by Chimérique; 11-29-2015 at 09:55 AM..

Old 12-02-2015, 07:10 PM

65 posts, read 52,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
This attitude can really change the tone of a once nice laid-back city and turn it into a snobby, unimaginative and typical one.
Do y'all have the impression the same could happen in reverse? Are there cities that were pretentious and turned to be "real" again?

Old 12-02-2015, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
I don't think it matters that these tech workers live in SF and work in SV? Does that make SF less than in some way? If half the population of SF worked somewhere else in the Bay Area, SF would still be an interesting place to live. Does it make San Jose/SV less than because some of it's workforce lives in SF?

My partner lives in Sacramento (very unpretentious) and works for a Silicon Valley tech company. He goes to the headquarters in Silicon Valley only once or twice a year. The company has offices in Sacramento and San Francisco (pretentious) as well as the SV. 99% of offsite overnight meetings are held in some fancy hotel/near a winery in the Napa Valley.
But that's not what you originally said. It's one thing to say that becoming a bedroom community doesn't necessarily make a place dull. It's a different thing to say that becoming a bedroom community makes a place unique (what you said originally).

But yes, I suppose it makes SF "less" to some extent, at least IMO. IMO, an ideal city is a place where people live and work and enjoy life. And where people actually have time to live their life. But let's not get started on the social darwinism and meritocracy that afflicts the Bay Area.

Old 12-03-2015, 02:48 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I think the big cities have a lot of pretentiousness, of course some big cities have more pretentiousness than others.

Pretentious: New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, Dallas, San Diego, Phoenix, Las Vegas (duh!)
Unpretentious: Portland (Oregon)

As far as Portland goes. Visit the Pearl District area of the city, and you will see Pretentious. . Thankfully all of Portland isn't like that area of the city.

Old 12-03-2015, 02:55 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
My parents to Ivy League universities for graduate school Columbia and Harvard and they are not pretentious and teach at University of Kentucky and now Vanderbilt University but they are really down to earth. NYC is not as pretentious as people make it out to be. Boston and SF probably are the most pretentious but a lot of them are just elitist wannabes and not actually from elite universities like Harvard and Stanford.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:43 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,883,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
The city of Detroit itself may not be pretentious, but many of the surrounding areas such as most of Oakland County and Ann Arbor would definitely qualify.
By definition, I'd say many of the younger Detroiters at least are definitely pretentious, inside the city as well. There is a very real "keep up with the Jones" mentality in and around Detroit. People care way too much about what clothes you have, car your driving, and how much you make.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:45 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
But that's not what you originally said. It's one thing to say that becoming a bedroom community doesn't necessarily make a place dull. It's a different thing to say that becoming a bedroom community makes a place unique (what you said originally).

But yes, I suppose it makes SF "less" to some extent, at least IMO. IMO, an ideal city is a place where people live and work and enjoy life. And where people actually have time to live their life. But let's not get started on the social darwinism and meritocracy that afflicts the Bay Area.
I think you are confusing me with someone else. What is it you think I originally said? SF is and always has been unique regardless of it's status as a "bedroom community" or not.

How is SF "less" because some of it's residents work in the Silicon Valley in your opinion?

Old 12-04-2015, 12:00 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Pretentious to the core:

San Francisco, Atlanta, Seattle, Miami, Denver, Austin, Charleston, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Dallas...the grass is not always greener

Unpretentious to the core:

Cleveland, Memphis, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Chicago, Houston, New Orleans, Louisville, Cincinnati...what you see is what you get!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.