Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 03:14 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times

Advertisements

Gary IN and Flint MI are amazing cities I love them both
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 03:23 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times
Madison, Pittsburgh, or Ann Arbor perhaps. What do you consider gloomy though? Some of the areas you've highlighted are the gloomiest areas of the eastern US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephM1994 View Post
Pittsburgh, Chicago or Grand Rapids. Columbus is over hyped. If you're not living in NYC I wouldn't live in New York State. It must suck to live in Buffalo and pay ridiculous taxes to subsidize us down here in the 5 boros, I'm saying that as a New Yorker.
Not too great of an economy either in most of upstate NY but a lot of snow and nice summers.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:54 PM

148 posts, read 302,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Madison, Pittsburgh, or Ann Arbor perhaps. What do you consider gloomy though? Some of the areas you've highlighted are the gloomiest areas of the eastern US.

Not too great of an economy either in most of upstate NY but a lot of snow and nice summers.
It's gorgeous up there and if I was rich I would buy an estate in Delaware or Ulster County, but if I lived in Utica or something I would get mighty irritated having to pay inflated income taxes, sales taxes, consumption taxes, gas taxes etc. to pay for the subway system in Brooklyn or to maintain housing projects in Spanish Harlem while I lived 10 hours away and drove to work.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:09 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Guy View Post
Which US city or area in the highlighted portion of the map below best meets these criteria? The city doesn't have to be a big or major city, either.

Here's my criteria:
  • Outdoor activities - Hiking, cycling, swimming, and boating are important.
  • Beautiful nature - Forested is a must
  • Four distinct seasons - We love snow, but we also don't want it to be too gloomy and gray in the winter
  • Low cost of living and taxes
  • Health/organic food and restaurants - It's important for us to have a good amount of options, at least for organic grocery stores.
  • Low crime, Safe
  • Great place to raise a family
  • Friendly folks
  • Prosperous populous and economy - Definitely don't want to live in a place that's too blue-collar, rust-belt-ish, or economically depressed.
  • Clean air, very low pollution
  • A swimmable, boat-able, clean body of water
  • Able to get a large amount of land (5 acres minimum) without totally breaking the bank.

Here's the map:
Hey Green Guy, looking through your post again, have you considered Vermont? Southern VT is h highlighted in your map, and no one's suggested it yet but I think it fits most of your criteria quite well, especially the outdoor oriented/forested and beauty criteria.

VT is beautiful.

Also you said NJ is too BosWash but I have to disagree about the very NW regions. Sussex County is technically NY metro but has a totally different feel and look. Mountainous (not compared to upstate NY but yes NJ has mountains and they're usable), forested, green, lakes, hiking, camping, etc. It's sparsely populated around there and cheaper. Four seasons but doesn't get as cold as areas further north like upstate NY and VT. The Appalachian Trail runs through it, the Delaware Water Gap shared with PA is there. More land, cheaper than the urban core of NJ closer to NYC. Contrary to what you may hear about NJ, it is very beautiful all around, but especially up there. Now, NJ is more expensive overall, especially taxes, but you shouldn't write off Sussex County so easily. Maybe just google it real quick or something

Old 03-24-2015, 09:17 PM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post

It depends on where in Upstate NY. Ithaca, Albany and Rochester would be fine and you still find employment in other areas. It will depend on the type of work the OP would be looking for.

Overall COL is around the national average, give or take and I'm not sure of what consumption taxes that people are referring to. If anything, Downstate puts more into the state budget due to the amount of people and money in that part of the state.

As for areas within that shaded area on the map, maybe an area like Erie PA or SW Michigan could work. Perhaps a small city like St. Joseph, which is on Lake Michigan and has a beach, could be a good fit. It is a reasonable drive to South Bend IN and Chicago isn't that far away. Nearby Benton Harbor, while a pretty rough small city, is home to the HQ's of Whirlpool Corporation. If you want something more small town, a community like Stevensville may work for you. The Riviera of the Midwest - City of St. Joseph, Michigan
City of Saint Joseph - Pure Michigan Travel
St. Joseph, Michigan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whirlpool Careers - North America - Jobs

Stevensville, Village > Home
Stevensville, Michigan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-24-2015 at 09:42 PM..

Old 03-25-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It depends on where in Upstate NY. Ithaca, Albany and Rochester would be fine and you still find employment in other areas. It will depend on the type of work the OP would be looking for.

Overall COL is around the national average, give or take and I'm not sure of what consumption taxes that people are referring to. If anything, Downstate puts more into the state budget due to the amount of people and money in that part of the state.

As for areas within that shaded area on the map, maybe an area like Erie PA or SW Michigan could work. Perhaps a small city like St. Joseph, which is on Lake Michigan and has a beach, could be a good fit. It is a reasonable drive to South Bend IN and Chicago isn't that far away. Nearby Benton Harbor, while a pretty rough small city, is home to the HQ's of Whirlpool Corporation. If you want something more small town, a community like Stevensville may work for you. The Riviera of the Midwest - City of St. Joseph, Michigan
City of Saint Joseph - Pure Michigan Travel
St. Joseph, Michigan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whirlpool Careers - North America - Jobs

Stevensville, Village > Home
Stevensville, Michigan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nearby smaller cities in Niles MI and Valparaiso IN may be worth a look.
City of Niles, Michigan (MI)
Niles, MainStreet Michigan | eclectic shops, foods, and finds.

https://www.ci.valparaiso.in.us

Old 03-25-2015, 02:32 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Much of that region is the rust belt, plagued with job issues and really run down cities. That part of America has some really nice small towns and rural areas but its cities are often lacking. Looking at your criteria I would go with Madison Wi, Grand Rapids Mi or maybe Pittsburg PA. Grand Rapids may be the frontrunner, its big enough to have the job market and atmosphere your looking for, very close to outdoor activities and has the snow your looking for. Its nothing like the other "rust belt" type cities in that part of the country like Gary, Flint or Detroit. Chicago Illinois is very big and expensive but its worth considering if you like a real "big city" experience. However from Madison or Grand Rapids its not that far to drive to Chicago to get that experience without the high cost of living and trouble that goes with living in a place like that.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:33 PM

Kent OH, a college town near Akron in NE Ohio has many of the things you are looking for within and just outside of the city. City of Kent, Ohio
Downtown Kent Ohio - Main Street Kent
https://jobs.kent.edu/applicants/jsp...=1427329875906

Old 03-25-2015, 06:48 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,908,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
I'm thinking you should consider the Rochester/Syracuse region. New York is very scenic and you would be close to Lake Ontario and the Finger Lakes. New York does have high taxes, but the low cost of living in that part of New York would still mean cheap living when all things are considered.
I agree with this recommendation. Rochester, Syracuse, Albany might have what the OP is looking for.

The taxes are the only real downside, but everything is else is quite nice. Great places to raise a family. Great access to very nice natural surroundings (Finger Lakes (wine and scenery), Adirondacks and Catskills, Great Lakes). Affordable houses that can be had in good cities (with good schools). Rochester has a decent job market (especially if your job is more white collar).

Old 03-25-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I agree with this recommendation. Rochester, Syracuse, Albany might have what the OP is looking for.

The taxes are the only real downside, but everything is else is quite nice. Great places to raise a family. Great access to very nice natural surroundings (Finger Lakes (wine and scenery), Adirondacks and Catskills, Great Lakes). Affordable houses that can be had in good cities (with good schools). Rochester has a decent job market (especially if your job is more white collar).
A sleeper area given that the OP wants a more rural area close to an area with organic food, low crime, close proximity to water/water based activities and more could be rural areas of Horseheads or Newfield in between Ithaca, Elmira and Corning. Newfield is closer to Ithaca, while Horseheads is a nice town in the Elmira NY metro north of that city, that is about a 15-20 minute drive from Corning.

I mention Corning due to it having Fortune 500 Corning Incorporated and a nice Downtown. Ithaca will have Ivy League Cornell, as well as Ithaca College, another nice Downtown and some small tech companies, along with many organic restaurants and food options. Elmira may some places to go to and some events the OP may like too. There is a community college in Corning and Elmira College in Elmira. There are some other companies in this general area too.

There is plenty of shopping in the Horseheads/Big Flats area and the southern end of Ithaca on Elmira Road, which is pretty close to Newfield.

There is a small portion of Schuyler County in between the two that could work in terms of a property with enough land.

You have a few Finger Lakes nearby to the north too.

Here are some properties with at least 5 acres and 200k and below in Upstate NY in/near some of the areas mentioned in previous posts in the thread: Property Search Results Here is an example in the Rochester area: 2317 Kendall Rd, Kendall, NY 14476

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-25-2015 at 08:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.