Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most boring drive in the US?
Interstate 5 between Santa Clarita and Stockton, CA 38 15.14%
Interstate 8 between Casa Grande, AZ and Alpine, CA 5 1.99%
Interstate 10 between El Paso and San Antonio, TX 49 19.52%
Interstate 29 between Sioux Falls, SD and Fargo, ND 8 3.19%
Interstate 40 between Flagstaff, AZ and Barstow, CA 8 3.19%
Interstate 57 between Interstate 55 and Urbana, IL 49 19.52%
Interstate 70 between Topeka, KS and Aurora, CO 61 24.30%
Interstate 80 between Sparks, NV and Salt Lake City, UT 11 4.38%
Interstate 90 between Rapid City and Sioux Falls, SD 8 3.19%
Interstate 94 between Billings, MT and Fargo, ND 14 5.58%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2023, 10:07 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
The I-40 belongs on here but not that stretch. The stretch that belongs on there is inbetween ABQ, NM (backside of Sandias) and Oklahoma City, OK. West Texas (minus El Paso) is honestly ugly. Nothing but flat brown grass with the most interesting thing being a wind turbine. And wind turbines are designed to be not interesting, for aerodynamics.

Now if you didn't want to triple down on the empty strip like the I-10 and the I-70 both do here, if you made the I-40 Needles to Barstow in California that would be more accepting. But rolling hills and forested mountains of Northern Arizona, yes even west of Flagstaff, isn't ugly. I mean Kingman is I'll concede to that but just don't go into Kingman further than a gas station or lunch at the In-N-Out on the access road and you'll be ok.

I-40 west of Flagstaff:
- First street view

- Even small industrial-like areas like this are not the ugliest stretches of the US I've seen

- More mountains
- Even a historic dam along the way
- Flat but kinda green even, with some small mountains in the distance. Not the most scenic but not ugly
- Not ugly

- The area around Ash Fork I guess can be considered ugly, but at least you can still see Mount Humphreys
- Like I said Kingman is ugly, and as any Zonie will tell you... don't do more than a pit stop there if you have to
- Upon immediately escaping Kingman, it turns interesting again
- This valley is nothing to write home about, but there are uglier stretches. Looks like any standard Arizona landscape for the most part
- Colorado River Valley (Needles, CA) is less scenic than the valley prior to it on the AZ side
- The least ugly stretch post Needles

I have driven on the I-10 all the way from Santa Monica to Jacksonville and the majority of the I-40 from in California all the way to Memphis and I will tell you right now the stretch I mentioned previously on the I-40 is uglier than the stretch of the I-10 listed on this poll. I really disliked the Amarillo area. And to me it is so far the ugliest stretch of Interstate I have been on.

The I-8 belongs on here with the exclusion of the section between Gila Bend AZ and Casa Grande AZ. There is a section of the I-8 in between these two that go through the Saguaro Desert National Monument and it looks pretty nice, especially in the spring. The dunes just west of Yuma are kinda interesting but yeah you won't catch me defending Yuma or Dateland, AZ . But you will want to cut off before Alpine, in Ocotillo, CA just before it starts turning into this, before entering Alpine limits. So Gila Bend, AZ to Ocotillo, CA... ugly stretch definitely.
I've driven the entire length of I-8 many times, and it's one of my favorite interstates, and I do not like interstates by default. It doesn't belong on this poll. The OP called out pretty much the entire highway. It doesn't deserve that fate. S/he correctly didn't include the stretch from Alpine to San Diego, which, in contrast, I would say is one of the most epic stretches of freeway in the country as one descends from hours of desert driving into the San Diego orbit. One feels like they are entering the garden of Eden on that final 25 miles. Also, from Coyote Wells on I-8 (just west of El Centro) up into Cleveland National Forest, I would contend is one of the more noteworthy scenic areas as you ascend into the forest you are surrounded by moonscape boulders. https://goo.gl/maps/MSdoiV977m9b2RKq7
I-8 is on the short list of great interstates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2023, 12:54 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemean View Post
Are Drowsy Driving Advisory Zones only an Alabama thing? In retrospect, I think I only remember them there (though I wouldn't say the Chilton county one is among the most boring interstate drives compared to some others I've done. Greenville on the other hand...). If they were nationwide, counting those up might be a good metric to deciding a "most boring drive."
Apparently Alabama is #2, but this article doesn't say what state is #1.

Alabama ranks second in the US for drowsy driving deaths

Old 07-17-2023, 01:12 AM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
Quote:
Are Drowsy Driving Advisory Zones only an Alabama thing? In retrospect, I think I only remember them there (though I wouldn't say the Chilton county one is among the most boring interstate drives compared to some others I've done. Greenville on the other hand...). If they were nationwide, counting those up might be a good metric to deciding a "most boring drive."
In California and Nevada I've seen signs for "turn on headlights, next 48 miles" --- presumably to make sure you're as visible as possible during boring highway stretches.

Old 07-17-2023, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
In California and Nevada I've seen signs for "turn on headlights, next 48 miles" --- presumably to make sure you're as visible as possible during boring highway stretches.
It's for visibility, but boring highway stretches have nothing to do with it. To the contrary daylight headlight zones are generally two lane hilly and curved roads. The purpose is to make your car more visible to oncoming drivers who might be contemplating passing another vehicle. Which could result in them running head on into you, if they don't see you in time.

Old 07-17-2023, 06:22 AM

1,802 posts, read 1,952,089 times
Quote:
Utah has them as well, with this sign coming shortly after the long, 40-mile curveless stretch that's part of a long stretch without services:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7369...8192?entry=ttu

Granted, that sign have easily could have just said "Rest Area 5 Miles", but when you've gone a grand total of 50 miles with just a single short curve, you need to stay alert. I'm surprised there's no turn on headlights sign for this stretch.

Old 07-17-2023, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Utah has them as well, with this sign coming shortly after the long, 40-mile curveless stretch that's part of a long stretch without services:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7369...8192?entry=ttu

Granted, that sign have easily could have just said "Rest Area 5 Miles", but when you've gone a grand total of 50 miles with just a single short curve, you need to stay alert. I'm surprised there's no turn on headlights sign for this stretch.
The sign should say "Drowsy Drivers Use Rest Area 1 Mile". Are they trying to encourage drowsy drivers not to use the rest area and instead continue to the next exit in 5 miles? They haven't put a lot of thought into those signs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.