Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 04:11 PM

2 posts, read 2,014 times

Advertisements

Hi, my fiance and I are thinking about moving away from Hawaii because....you know extremely high living costs and lots of problems with the people here as well. We're open to any city on the mainland (except those with extreme heat! We hate the heat!)
I'm finishing up my degree in Finance, and I'm really interested in working for an insurance company. He only has a HS diploma, but thinking about going to trade school.

We're open to any suggestions, and thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 06:28 PM

5,518 posts, read 8,765,046 times
Many large cities might fit the bill, depending on what else you want in a new place. Outside of the Sunbelt -- you say you hate heat -- you could find finance/insurance work in Hartford CT, NYC, Boston, San Francisco, Chicago, Philadelphia, and probably lots of other big cities. But in any of those cities you'd be the primary breadwinner until the b/f gets the training for something with higher pay than he could get now. So the lower cost choices would be Hartford and Chicago. You might consider some of the pricier cities if he gets his training before you leave Hawaii.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:02 PM

908 posts, read 1,417,872 times
All of the "3C's" in Ohio have at least one headquarters of a large insurance corporation, less heat than many parts of the country, and a lower than average cost of living. Cincinnati has Western and Southern as well as Great American, Columbus has Nationwide, and Cleveland has Progressive. While State Farm's HQ is no longer in Columbus, it still has a relatively large presence there.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:34 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,688,437 times
I just wouldn't feel right about suggesting someone actually choose to move to Ohio.
Ohio is like one of those states where one is just born..... and they have to live there cuz well...they dont'really have a choice.

Anyway, OP... I'd move to anywhere along the west coast of the US. . . Texas, Arizona, Washington, DC, Philly, NYC... maybe Boston....
Atlanta?

Old 04-10-2015, 06:40 AM

27,188 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Many large cities might fit the bill, depending on what else you want in a new place. Outside of the Sunbelt -- you say you hate heat -- you could find finance/insurance work in Hartford CT, NYC, Boston, San Francisco, Chicago, Philadelphia, and probably lots of other big cities. But in any of those cities you'd be the primary breadwinner until the b/f gets the training for something with higher pay than he could get now. So the lower cost choices would be Hartford and Chicago. You might consider some of the pricier cities if he gets his training before you leave Hawaii.
Many of the Sunbelt cities are no more hot than places like Philly, DC and NYC in the summer so that's kind of a moot point. If the OP is looking for affordability cities like Atlanta or Charlotte would be good options and offer heat, in the summer...like pretty much most cities in the US.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:51 PM

595 posts, read 1,255,852 times
Cool place, cool people? Sounds like Seattle, Portland or thereabouts might suit you.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:33 PM

50,255 posts, read 47,011,154 times
People problems? I'm interested to know since we've considered moving there. What Island and what issues? Thanks.

Old 04-12-2015, 01:45 AM

2 posts, read 2,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
People problems? I'm interested to know since we've considered moving there. What Island and what issues? Thanks.
I'm on Oahu. This is my personal opinion, but...I feel like the locals here feel extremely self-entitled. A lot of them are also extremely racist, especially towards caucasians unfortunately. But people who love living here love it a lot. Just not for me, I guess.

Also, thanks everyone for the advice! After further research, we will probably be moving to Indianapolis

Old 04-12-2015, 08:32 PM

383 posts, read 512,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I just wouldn't feel right about suggesting someone actually choose to move to Ohio.
Ohio is like one of those states where one is just born..... and they have to live there cuz well...they dont'really have a choice.

Anyway, OP... I'd move to anywhere along the west coast of the US. . . Texas, Arizona, Washington, DC, Philly, NYC... maybe Boston....
Atlanta?
Worst piece of advice I have ever seen on CD. Ohio can offer a great life for a low cost. Honestly using city data is the worst idea for advice. I would source information elsewhere.

Old 05-09-2015, 12:33 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,671,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
All of the "3C's" in Ohio have at least one headquarters of a large insurance corporation, less heat than many parts of the country, and a lower than average cost of living. Cincinnati has Western and Southern as well as Great American, Columbus has Nationwide, and Cleveland has Progressive. While State Farm's HQ is no longer in Columbus, it still has a relatively large presence there.
Columbus also has grange insurance and safe auto. Also safelite auto glass is one the largest third part claim admins and headquartered in Columbus too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.