Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2015, 07:11 PM

5 posts, read 7,794 times

Advertisements

So we are planning on moving away from the Pacific Northwest and have been heavily researching TN and KY. The thing I want to know is why some people I have talked to chose TN. We are wanting rural but within commuting distance of a college and bigger town for work, or a region with jobs. We want away from town but don't want to be totally off the grid. We are both work in the medical field.
Another thing I am wondering is in many of the areas I have looked in TN the median household income is almost half of what the regions of KY I've looked at.
Are there major tax differences, wage differences, cost of living, etc? I'd love some feedback from people who personally know. The price in land doesn't seem that much different..
Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 07:16 PM

473 posts, read 796,571 times
Nashville TN has some large players in the medical field. Neither TN or KY are known for high salaries, but TN has no income tax.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:45 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
What regions in KY are you looking at? Interesting that you are comparing select regions to an entire state.

I suspect TN has much more urban poverty than KY, because it has more urban areas. Both have rural poverty. It would be interesting to compare the number of students in each state - that is a group that tends to have low household income.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:01 AM

5 posts, read 7,794 times
There are 6 counties in KY I'm looking at mainly, centered around the Danville area. In TN I'm looking at the east half of the state, not west.. weather reasons.
Someone told me there are more jobs in TN but I'm finding jobs in both. Really I don't even know what areas of TN I should be looking at.
We want rural and land but close enough to a college that if we want to continue our educations we can commute..

Old 05-16-2015, 08:54 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
I would highly recommend Knoxville where you will find some nice rural properties very close to town (and the University of Tennessee/UT Medical Center) and cannot imagine it would have salaries half that of similar locales in Kentucky given it's size and importance in the region.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:46 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Kentucky gets considerably more winter weather IMO. I live in TN, and we always are hearing about snow and ice in KY when it is warmer here. A lot of people use the words Kentucky and Tennessee together, but really they are quite different. I think you should visit both, then decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.