Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 01:38 PM

14 posts, read 22,201 times

Advertisements

Hello, CDers. I used to contribute frequently in these forums, but have been inactive so long I forgot my username! What I've never done is post a question of my own, so here goes.

I am seeking -- anywhere in the U.S. (or possibly Canada) -- a walkable town. The definition for my purposes would be a post office, great library, town grocery, cozy coffeehouse, hardware store, pharmacy, parks, and a few restaurants all within walking distance of one another. Bonus points for a movie theater and office/art supply store as well. I don't need to actually live in the town center; I'd be fine with driving in, parking once, and finding all these gems near one another.

Other wish-list features:

- A low(er) risk of tornado activity.
- Low risk of flooding.
- Low(er) wind speeds overall. A gust here and there is not a big deal, and breezes are lovely. I just want to avoid places like Livingston, Montana where the wind is nearly constant and strong enough to close roads on a regular basis.
- Easy enough driving. I enjoy visiting the mountains, but don't want to navigate their highest passes frequently in winter.
- Reasonable cost of living. Being able to purchase a nice 3 BR bungalow for $175,00 - $250,000 is ideal.
- Safe. Not "mostly safe, just some property crime issues." I mean SAFE. My current community is <200 on the CD charts, and I'd like to keep it that way.
- No issues with a homeless population. I understand transitional homelessness and those who choose to be nomadic. No worries there. I'm more concerned with communities where homelessness is epidemic, public parks and town benches are occupied, and crime occurs as a result. (See: Ashland, Oregon arson.)
- Regardless of voting records, descriptors like all-inclusive, laid back, quirky, and welcoming are all ideal. A community which is not predominantly fundamentalist or clannish.
- Arts programs, live music, and brew pubs would be nice. A community which does not revolve entirely around youth sports.
- An eco-friendly business culture is preferred. No pulp mills, fracking, etc.
- A small college environment would be welcome.
- Access to long walks / hikes nearby via parks, bike paths, or even beaches.
- I have no children, but good schools would be nice for resale value and community spirit.
- I work independently, so although employment is not important, a high speed internet connection is.
- Access within an hour's drive to an airport; Amtrak would be a bonus.
- Not too isolated. I enjoy visiting other towns for day trips and weekends.

Yellow Springs, Ohio meets every single one of these needs, except perhaps the low(er) tornado risk requirement. It's as close to utopia as I've ever found. However, its housing inventory is in *very* short supply. I'd also rather explore beyond Southwestern Ohio.

Any and all suggestions would be welcome! Thanks in advance .

p.s. If you happen to know of a town outside the US which meets these requirements, please share. I probably can't buy there, but could at least visit and rent for six months just for the experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 04:34 PM

93,368 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Perhaps Hamilton, Brockport, Clinton, Geneva and New Paltz in NY may be worth a look.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:12 PM

Thanks! Those are all new to me. I'll take a peek at the area between NYC and Albany.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadichabit View Post
Thanks! Those are all new to me. I'll take a peek at the area between NYC and Albany.
New Paltz is in between the two and is known for its quirky vibe, as well as its SUNY campus. You may like Rhinebeck, Saugerties and Red Hook too. Cost of living may be something to consider.

Just as a frame of reference, Brockport is outside of Rochester, Hamilton is in the Syracuse area in between Syracuse and Utica; and Clinton is outside of Utica. All 3 have a small college and fits most, if not sll of what you are looking for

Old 05-24-2015, 10:12 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Quote:
Hello, CDers. I used to contribute frequently in these forums, but have been inactive so long I forgot my username! What I've never done is post a question of my own, so here goes.

I am seeking -- anywhere in the U.S. (or possibly Canada) -- a walkable town. The definition for my purposes would be a post office, great library, town grocery, cozy coffeehouse, hardware store, pharmacy, parks, and a few restaurants all within walking distance of one another. Bonus points for a movie theater and office/art supply store as well. I don't need to actually live in the town center; I'd be fine with driving in, parking once, and finding all these gems near one another.

Other wish-list features:

- A low(er) risk of tornado activity.
- Low risk of flooding.
- Low(er) wind speeds overall. A gust here and there is not a big deal, and breezes are lovely. I just want to avoid places like Livingston, Montana where the wind is nearly constant and strong enough to close roads on a regular basis.
- Easy enough driving. I enjoy visiting the mountains, but don't want to navigate their highest passes frequently in winter.
- Reasonable cost of living. Being able to purchase a nice 3 BR bungalow for $175,00 - $250,000 is ideal.
- Safe. Not "mostly safe, just some property crime issues." I mean SAFE. My current community is <200 on the CD charts, and I'd like to keep it that way.
- No issues with a homeless population. I understand transitional homelessness and those who choose to be nomadic. No worries there. I'm more concerned with communities where homelessness is epidemic, public parks and town benches are occupied, and crime occurs as a result. (See: Ashland, Oregon arson.)
- Regardless of voting records, descriptors like all-inclusive, laid back, quirky, and welcoming are all ideal. A community which is not predominantly fundamentalist or clannish.
- Arts programs, live music, and brew pubs would be nice. A community which does not revolve entirely around youth sports.
- An eco-friendly business culture is preferred. No pulp mills, fracking, etc.
- A small college environment would be welcome.
- Access to long walks / hikes nearby via parks, bike paths, or even beaches.
- I have no children, but good schools would be nice for resale value and community spirit.
- I work independently, so although employment is not important, a high speed internet connection is.
- Access within an hour's drive to an airport; Amtrak would be a bonus.
- Not too isolated. I enjoy visiting other towns for day trips and weekends.

Yellow Springs, Ohio meets every single one of these needs, except perhaps the low(er) tornado risk requirement. It's as close to utopia as I've ever found. However, its housing inventory is in *very* short supply. I'd also rather explore beyond Southwestern Ohio.

Any and all suggestions would be welcome! Thanks in advance .

p.s. If you happen to know of a town outside the US which meets these requirements, please share. I probably can't buy there, but could at least visit and rent for six months just for the experience.
What type of weather do you like?

Old 05-24-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
What type of weather do you like?
Anything other than extreme. Trying to minimize the necessity for the NWS to issue a special weather statement for my zip code, which happens all too often in this part of Ohio . I appreciate the Hudson Valley and other New York suggestions, and the towns really are lovely. However, 65" - 100" of snow per year might do me in. What about Virginia? North Carolina? Western Washington within the rainshadow? Any suggestions in those areas?

I've heard about Hillsborough, NC and like it very much. Again, housing inventory seems to be an issue. Towns like that have great appeal: self-contained villages near bigger cities.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:01 PM

Snow generally gets cleared in a timely manner, but I understand.

I believe that Carrboro NC fits what you are looking for. I don't know if it is small enough though.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Anything other than extreme. Trying to minimize the necessity for the NWS to issue a special weather statement for my zip code, which happens all too often in this part of Ohio . I appreciate the Hudson Valley and other New York suggestions, and the towns really are lovely. However, 65" - 100" of snow per year might do me in. What about Virginia? North Carolina? Western Washington within the rainshadow? Any suggestions in those areas?

I've heard about Hillsborough, NC and like it very much. Again, housing inventory seems to be an issue. Towns like that have great appeal: self-contained villages near bigger cities.

NC is a great choice. You could also try Hendersonville, NC, Chapel Hill, NC, Aiken, SC. Is a certain population important and age factor?

Old 05-24-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
NC is a great choice. You could also try Hendersonville, NC, Chapel Hill, NC, Aiken, SC. Is a certain population important and age factor?
Just curious, but are all 3 quirky and extremely "safe"? I know that Chapel Hill would fit the quirky criteria, but it is quite pricy in terms of home prices, on the other hand.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just curious, but are all 3 quirky and extremely "safe"? I know that Chapel Hill would fit the quirky criteria, but it is quite pricy in terms of home prices, on the other hand.
Yes, I would say Chapel Hill is the most quirky. The others are safe but not as quirky. Asheville, NC is quirky and safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.