Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 09:47 AM

25 posts, read 37,316 times

Advertisements

I am an Indian guy and my fiance is white, she is your typical blonde hair blue eyed American woman who gets told she looks like Heather Graham a lot and I get told I look like Fareed Zakaria, a lot. What I notice is that no one in my state has an issue with it at all and a lot of the people do not mind. Most people do not acknowledge it which is amazing, we practically get treated like same race couples here.

After running into some transplants from places like New York, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey and having visited New York, I realized that other areas are not so accepting. When I was in NYC and sitting on a subway with my fiance, one older man (white) was openly making jokes and racist comments towards us. That was not the only instance, we noticed that eating at restaurants and just checking into hotels there, people were making a big deal out of it at times. We would eat at the restaurant and sometimes the waiter would say "this is strange, you don't see blondes with guys that look like you".

Now I noticed that most of the times, interracial relationships in the USA are Black men with white women and white men with just about any woman that is not white. It is not that common for white women in the country to date or marry a guy that is not white or black, California seems to be an exception to this rule.

Are there any other places in the USA that are like California though? Places where if a woman who happens to be white and exceptionally attractive dates or marries a man that is south asian, no one will make a big deal out of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 10:11 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
California as a whole is stretching that too. I would say the city of SF, Silicon Valley, and Oakland in NorCal would be accepting. In SoCal, areas like the Westside of LA (Venice, Marina del Rey, Santa Monica, Culver City), Downtown, Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, and maybe Sherman Oaks/Encino/Studio City/Tarzana would be accepting.

I would add Seattle as being accepting as a city, but like LA and SF, I'm sure certain neighborhoods are more accepting.

Maybe DC because it's a governmental city with embassies and people from all over the world in professional positions residing there.

The only other major city I would throw out as a possibility would be Chicago? No basis for this opinion, but I would expect Chicago to be accepting. Then again, I'd also expect NYC to be accepting so I'm not sure.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:16 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,532,210 times
Was going to mention Chicago, with a decent-sized upper & middle class Indian population in the metro. Have seen a good bit of Indian/blonde pairings. I have an Indian (well, 2nd generation) friend who only dates white girls, and he hasn't had any trouble anywhere (Chicago, Milwaukee, and now San Fran). He also went to college in central IL, in a small city, and there didn't seem to be much of an issue there, either. Surprised that anyone in NYC would even notice - one jerk/oddball maybe?

Old 06-26-2015, 11:19 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,696,073 times
I feel like 90% of the country couldn't care less about your inter-racial dating, honestly.

I've dated inter-racially exclusively my entire life and never once was an issue raised. I've lived in Philadelphia, DC, and Miami all my life. Never an issue. anywhere.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:34 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I feel like 90% of the country couldn't care less about your inter-racial dating, honestly.

I've dated inter-racially exclusively my entire life and never once was an issue raised. I've lived in Philadelphia, DC, and Miami all my life. Never an issue. anywhere.
Yup. To say California is the only place it's acceptable is way off base. In most of the country, nobody cares.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:43 AM

309 posts, read 308,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post

This. Racists are everywhere, and tolerance is everywhere. Most people are too busy living their own lives to really care. Those who care are usually bitter likely because of something of their own doing...

Old 06-26-2015, 12:34 PM

25 posts, read 37,316 times
Maybe guys but I feel like the east coast in particular is not that accepting of such couples. For example, I seemed to notice that NYC as a whole was very segregated into ethnic neighborhoods. When I went to little Italy with my fiance, we literally got stared at by a group of guys. I am not talking isolated instances either, New Yorkers made a of racist comments towards us and the ones I talk to here in California say that a couple like us is practically unheard of in the state and city.

I am not familiar with the midwest so I won't pass judgment but I kinda always got this impression that the northeast (New York - New Jersey - Pennsylvania) outside of New England was always kind of, well, segregated or closed off. Like people there have this view of Indians, Arabs, and just anyone who is foreign as being "different" and do not wish to be near them. I have also heard that Indians, Pakistanis, and Arabs have a very bad reputation in the area so I think it might have been specific to just that place alone.

All of this came to my mind after my stay in New York, the amount of comments and stares we received were very uncomfortable. I have never had such an experience in California in my entire life so NYC was a culture shock to me.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:32 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Two points for extreme persistence, none for originality.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:41 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
No. Outside of a few inbred redneck backwaters, no one will care. CA is no different from any other state.

Also, frankly I don't believe your claims. I don't believe some white dude was heckling you on a subway train for having a friend of a different race. That sounds pretty implausible, esp. in NYC, where every other person on the subway car is from somewhere else on the globe.

Also "when you went to Little Italy"?? Assuming you went to the one in Manhattan, there are no Italians there and it's an extension of SoHo, and there is no way on earth there were "young men" hassling you for having friends of a different background. That whole neighborhood is Eurotrash and global rich expat types, and there are no Italian gang membes; at least not since 1950 or something.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:10 PM

380 posts, read 607,958 times
I don't think you will have any problem in most of the country.

A friend of mine from college is an Indian guy married to a white girl. They live in Tampa. I've never heard of him having any issue. The one caveat I should mention is that he does have very light skin for an Indian, he looks more Italian, Greek or Spanish (as in from Spain) than Indian IMO.

Anyway, what happened to you is very odd, New York is one of the most progressive cities in the country. There are many interracial/ethnic couples in the area.

Btw, Indians are Caucasian, I would consider your pairing interethnic or cross cultural, but technically not interracial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.