Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2015, 12:58 PM

29 posts, read 110,358 times

Advertisements

Okay, so please try not to bite my head off. Right now I live in California, and in one year I am looking to relocate. I have had my heart set out on Texas, however, Virginia Beach was just recently added to the list. I have lived in Florida and as much as I LOVE LOVE LOVED it, the school systems didn't offer my son what he needed. Now I am a single mother, and work full time, so somewhere that will allow me to transfer my job is always first on the list. But aside from that, the main reasons I have chosen to consider these two states are; They are both "economically friendly" meaning the COL is low for both areas (compared to my home state CA). That in itself gives me the capability to live comfortably, provide for my son and not have to overwork or sacrifice time with him. Both are 2 of 5 states that have refused Common Core standards which is a HUGE deal for me. Both I have visited and loved. Now where they differentiate for me is, Virginia does give me the mountains and beaches i'm used to. 4 seasons which is a plus, and is very close to a lot of other states there on the East coast. Texas on the other hand, I have some family there in San Antonio which is about an hour and a half to two hours away, and it is neutral to both Florida and California which isn't a NECESSITY but a bonus. Anyhow, I thought I could get some outside input on both areas, maybe even someone that has lived in both. Anything would be very much appreciated..

Last edited by CJGonzalez; 06-26-2015 at 02:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 01:32 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,547,230 times
This is a serious question, but you have seen the Blue Ridge Mountains, right? I love them (they're still my favorite mountain rainge), but they're still quite a bit different from anything in California. Also, VB is still roughly 3 hours away from them.

What specifically do you want to know about them? I'm from and live in VB and could help on that front, and I'm not going to just say "VB" before I'm sure it would fit your needs.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:51 PM

29 posts, read 110,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
This is a serious question, but you have seen the Blue Ridge Mountains, right? I love them (they're still my favorite mountain rainge), but they're still quite a bit different from anything in California. Also, VB is still roughly 3 hours away from them.

What specifically do you want to know about them? I'm from and live in VB and could help on that front, and I'm not going to just say "VB" before I'm sure it would fit your needs.

Ill be honest, here in California we are spoiled weather wise and do have the mountains and beaches however, living in Florida made me realize there are places that are MUCH prettier to look at that don't cost as much lol. Blue ridge mountains included! As much as I love my home state i'm not in love with it enough to pay for the scenery, if i'm capable of getting better for less. I honestly just would like to know general information. Diversity, night life, family life and activities...the basics. Since its just myself and my seedling, I want to make sure we are in an environment that we both can benefit from and progress in. Education, sports, low crime rate if possible, things i've already done research on but would be awesome if an actual resident could tell me about them.

Last edited by CJGonzalez; 06-26-2015 at 02:02 PM..

Old 06-27-2015, 06:57 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
Since Austin has gotten trendy there are a lot of trendsters who will pay a premium price to live in a "Kool Kids Klub". So you will benefit by being open minded and considering other locales. Too bad there isn't an opening in San Antonio.

I don't know much about VA beach but it doesn't look like you'd pay for being trendy. But does having a military presence with a large pool of renters drive the rental rates up there as well???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.