Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 07:24 PM

122 posts, read 167,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
MA does rank near the top for income (5 for average household income, 4 for per capita), but I think the fact that so many places close by are either higher (i.e. CT) or close enough (NH, RI, Long Island, NYC, NJ, etc) to not be drastically different makes MA stand out a little less in the Northeast vs compared to states outside of that area.
Prestige is more than just income. Massachusetts prestige also comes from its wealth of high education(Harvard, MIT) and medical institutions(Mass General). It also derives prestige as a trendsetter not afraid to go its own way. The nation often follows. Think gay marriage and health care today, revolution and abolition in the past. It's definitely the leading New England state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 08:43 PM

905 posts, read 791,109 times
No, I think naive, provincial and insular people think that way.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:50 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbosma View Post
Prestige is more than just income. Massachusetts prestige also comes from its wealth of high education(Harvard, MIT) and medical institutions(Mass General). It also derives prestige as a trendsetter not afraid to go its own way. The nation often follows. Think gay marriage and health care today, revolution and abolition in the past. It's definitely the leading New England state.
I am glad you made this post because I noticed that almost everyone on this thread has been talking about wealth as the source of a state's prestige. Wealth is probably the main factor but it should not be seen as the only factor for a state's prestige and reputation. For instance, you mention education for Massachusetts.

And there is going to be a wide range of opinions on the subject. NASCAR fans for instance, might see Indiana in a different light then other people. Country music fans might see Tennessee as more prestigious then say next door Kentucky. But horse racing fans may see Kentucky as prestigious then Tennessee. After all, even the Queen traveled across the Atlantic to Kentucky to look at horses.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:03 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I am glad you made this post because I noticed that almost everyone on this thread has been talking about wealth as the source of a state's prestige. Wealth is probably the main factor but it should not be seen as the only factor for a state's prestige and reputation. For instance, you mention education for Massachusetts.

And there is going to be a wide range of opinions on the subject. NASCAR fans for instance, might see Indiana in a different light then other people. Country music fans might see Tennessee as more prestigious then say next door Kentucky. But horse racing fans may see Kentucky as prestigious then Tennessee. After all, even the Queen traveled across the Atlantic to Kentucky to look at horses.
Louisiana takes the prestige when it comes to American food, except for dairy; that honor goes to Wisconsin!

California derives its prestige from Hollywood and to a lesser but not at all insignificant degree its redwood forests.

Delaware has...

Well not all states can be gems.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:05 AM

638 posts, read 978,564 times
Absolutely.

more prestige = 49 states
less prestige = california

Old 07-10-2015, 10:28 PM

346 posts, read 647,275 times
I think states are much more leveled now. But in the past, Virginia and South Carolina had an air of prestige, in relation to other southern states, and perhaps Massachusetts had a similar image in the north/northeast.

Old 07-11-2015, 02:45 PM

642 posts, read 859,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I grew up in Tennessee and it is not a place of prestige. Many places seem to think it has no power, no running water, and people live like the pioneer days. Granted, it's nothing like that, but it is poorer than average, the economy sucks, and it's just not a good place to be for a working person.

I've always thought states like NJ, MD, and CT were prestigious. Rich, wealthy states where people live in a comparative lap of luxury compared to how people live in the poor states.

Do you think some states are very prestigious and marquee names?
I did a search for something in my state of CT and happened upon your thread.

Most of CT is not wealthy. Fairfield County where I live is basically a suburb of NYC. Very wealthy CEO's and Wall Street Bankers live in western Fairfield County and many middle NYC managers live in the eastern part of Fairfield County (where I live). My husband and I are not wealthy but middle class and I can tell you it is very hard for people like me to live in Fairfield County.

So yes, CT has Fairfield County and it's "Gold Coast" where many millionaires live. Outside of Fairfield County the middle class are having a very hard time in this state so it's not all roses for CT. We also have the prestige of having Yale University an Ivy League school. We also have Wesleyan, Trinity and CT College the "little ivies". But the town of New Haven where Yale is located is full of poverty and is one of the most crime ridden cities in America.

Sometimes the grass appears greener but it is not always the case until you look very closely, then you see all the weeds.

BTW, I have cousins that moved from CT to Tennessee and they love it there.

Last edited by CTartist&musician; 07-11-2015 at 02:54 PM..

Old 07-11-2015, 04:54 PM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist&musician View Post
I did a search for something in my state of CT and happened upon your thread.

Most of CT is not wealthy. Fairfield County where I live is basically a suburb of NYC. Very wealthy CEO's and Wall Street Bankers live in western Fairfield County and many middle NYC managers live in the eastern part of Fairfield County (where I live). My husband and I are not wealthy but middle class and I can tell you it is very hard for people like me to live in Fairfield County.

So yes, CT has Fairfield County and it's "Gold Coast" where many millionaires live. Outside of Fairfield County the middle class are having a very hard time in this state so it's not all roses for CT. We also have the prestige of having Yale University an Ivy League school. We also have Wesleyan, Trinity and CT College the "little ivies". But the town of New Haven where Yale is located is full of poverty and is one of the most crime ridden cities in America.

Sometimes the grass appears greener but it is not always the case until you look very closely, then you see all the weeds.

BTW, I have cousins that moved from CT to Tennessee and they love it there.
CT has nowhere near the crime, overall, of the South. I'd say the worst cities in CT are still crime lite compared to Memphis.

Old 07-11-2015, 05:08 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svicious22 View Post
No, I think naive, provincial and insular people think that way.
I kind of love this. People who think their states are more prestigious, will disagree, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.