Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 12:22 AM

26 posts, read 31,357 times

Advertisements

I've been having an extremely hard time finding a city (it may not exist) that matches most of what I am looking for.

I am really into comics, dungeons and dragons etc, graphic novels etc and would love to find a city that has a decent amount of comic shops and is accepting/good for nerds.
I'm not much of a partier, so a city with a strong trashy club/party culture isn't really my vibe.
I love to workout and be outdoors, so natural beauty would be a great plus. I'm honestly not too picky on weather but am not the biggest fan of terrible heat/deserts (thought I could possibly compromise.)
Affordability is big. I have been looking big into Portland and Seattle but they are pretty expensive, and though I could afford to live there, I like to have a decent savings.
Honestly I feel Portland would be best (have visited and love it) but there are so so many people moving there and I'd love to find something that is a little more affordable. Maybe something that resembles what Portland was like 20 years ago, if such a thing exists.
I'm more progressive leaning politically, but am open minded, and tend to take a moderate approach to many issues. I don't like liberal for the sake of being liberal, and conservative close mindedness.
I love museums, zoos and theatres, so having nice options for those would be fantastic!

So to summarize, I am looking for:

Nerdy city that is accepting/good for people into comics, graphics novels, comic cons, dungeons and dragons etc

Nice scenery/natural beauty.

Relatively affordable and safe overall.

Nice theaters, zoos, museums.

Decent music scene.

Somewhat open politically.

Any thoughts or ideas? I would love to hear from some of you if you have some insight you'd be willing to share!

Thanks and cheers!

Last edited by yougotspiritkid; 07-22-2015 at 01:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 06:11 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Minneapolis or Denver could be good options.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:12 AM

562 posts, read 989,418 times
Seattle is probably your best bet, although the costs are rising.
Portland is a good second option.

I agree with Kyle's assessment: Maybe look into Minneapolis or Denver. I haven't been to Denver but Minneapolis is a lot of fun. I have similar interests to you and very much enjoyed my time there.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:30 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,831 times
Probably Minneapolis, or at least that's what comes to mind first.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:07 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yougotspiritkid View Post
I've been having an extremely hard time finding a city (it may not exist) that matches most of what I am looking for.

I am really into comics, dungeons and dragons etc, graphic novels etc and would love to find a city that has a decent amount of comic shops and is accepting/good for nerds.
I'm not much of a partier, so a city with a strong trashy club/party culture isn't really my vibe.
I love to workout and be outdoors, so natural beauty would be a great plus. I'm honestly not too picky on weather but am not the biggest fan of terrible heat/deserts (thought I could possibly compromise.)
Affordability is big. I have been looking big into Portland and Seattle but they are pretty expensive, and though I could afford to live there, I like to have a decent savings.
Honestly I feel Portland would be best (have visited and love it) but there are so so many people moving there and I'd love to find something that is a little more affordable. Maybe something that resembles what Portland was like 20 years ago, if such a thing exists.
I'm more progressive leaning politically, but am open minded, and tend to take a moderate approach to many issues. I don't like liberal for the sake of being liberal, and conservative close mindedness.
I love museums, zoos and theatres, so having nice options for those would be fantastic!

So to summarize, I am looking for:

Nerdy city that is accepting/good for people into comics, graphics novels, comic cons, dungeons and dragons etc

Nice scenery/natural beauty.

Relatively affordable and safe overall.

Nice theaters, zoos, museums.

Decent music scene.

Somewhat open politically.

Any thoughts or ideas? I would love to hear from some of you if you have some insight you'd be willing to share!

Thanks and cheers!
Salt Lake City fits all of your criteria. That may surprise you, but check out the Salt Lake City forum to see what I mean. We have a huge Comic Con each year, and virtually all of the other factors you have mentioned are available here.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:10 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,831 times
SLC and Denver don't have the same "comics" culture you find in places like Portland, Seattle, Minny, NYC, Austin, and so on. It seems an important point, as it was specifically mentioned in title, as well as early in the OP. Along with that goes the sort of music (see: title & OP) that is in shorter supply in places like SLC and Denver.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:57 PM

8 posts, read 8,042 times
Pittsburgh sort of resembles what Portland was like 20 years ago. Also, I think cities that have gloomy or cold weather a good part of the year encourages nerdy/indoor/creative activity.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:50 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Maybe Madison, WI

Old 07-23-2015, 06:02 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
There seems to be a comics / gaming subculture in Knoxville. Including a few stores. Sub as in small, but it might be worth researching. Otherwise it fits your criteria. Great zoo, theaters, & outdoor scene.

You would need to be open minded about conservatives. As you are finding, it is expensive to cocoon yourself among liberal separatists.

Old 07-23-2015, 05:47 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,025,495 times
For what it's worth, I know one comics pro who recently moved from Portland to Cleveland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.