Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with the name change of Mount McKinley to Mount Denali?
Yes, Denali is the Native American name and we should respect that. 51 79.69%
No, the mountain should continue to honor ex-President McKinley with his name. 13 20.31%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 03:32 PM

124 posts, read 147,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
McKinley was a crap President, anyway. I actually thought it was already officially Denali until the recent hubbub...lots of this is adults unwilling to unlearn things like Pluto's planetary slotting or whatever.
The National Park it's in was officially Denali. The mountain was not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 04:19 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Maybe you didn't noticed, but President Barack Obama changed the name of Mount McKinley to Mount Denali. Apparently, the 'new' name isn't new at all. Denali is how the indigenous tribes of Alaska knew the mountain as and that was the 'official' name until in the late 1890's it was renamed in honor of President William McKinley.

More info: Mount McKinley Will Again Be Called Denali

What do you think about this?
1) Technically, it was Interior Secretary Jewell who changed the mountain's name from 'Mount McKinley' back to 'Denali'.

2) It was named for William McKinley, former Governor of Ohio, in 1896 - he was elected President later that year and only became President in 1897.

3) Denali is not the second tallest mountain in the Western Hemisphere - there are dozens of mountains in Argentina, Chile, Bolivia, Peru and Ecuador that are higher.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:24 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,596,328 times
I need a don't care option. It's the same mountain no matter what you call it.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:55 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Maybe you didn't noticed, but President Barack Obama changed the name of Mount McKinley to Mount Denali. Apparently, the 'new' name isn't new at all. Denali is how the indigenous tribes of Alaska knew the mountain as and that was the 'official' name until in the late 1890's it was renamed in honor of President William McKinley.

I like it a lot more than Mount obuma. I guess he is saving up for his place on Mt Rushmore.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:25 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I like it a lot more than Mount obuma. I guess he is saving up for his place on Mt Rushmore.
Exhibit A

Old 09-04-2015, 05:43 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
I remember in the 5th grade having to memorize the mountain's name as Mount McKinley.
ha!

so much for that.

At the end of the day, I dont care either way, however Denali is def a cool name.

Old 09-05-2015, 01:19 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,088,722 times
Quote:

I like it. Denali a cooler name for a mountain of that stature. McKinley wasn't worth of a mountain of this stature. If they were going to go with a president it should have been Jefferson, Lincoln, or Washington.

Old 09-05-2015, 04:54 PM

10,059 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
1) Technically, it was Interior Secretary Jewell who changed the mountain's name from 'Mount McKinley' back to 'Denali'.
He did it after Obama said the change will take place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati
2) It was named for William McKinley, former Governor of Ohio, in 1896 - he was elected President later that year and only became President in 1897.
Yes, but he's still an ex-President of the USA and will be in that position forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati
3) Denali is not the second tallest mountain in the Western Hemisphere - there are dozens of mountains in Argentina, Chile, Bolivia, Peru and Ecuador that are higher.
Care to name those 'dozens of mountains in Argentina, Chile, Bolivia, Peru and Ecuador that are higher?'

The only reason I ask is because Mount Denali (McKinely) is actually the third highest mountain in the world, surpassed by Mount Anconcagua in Argentina (2nd highest in the world) and Mount Everest in China/Nepal.

I do wonder where those dozens mountains that you alone seem to be aware are higher than Mount Denali (McKinley) actually are, and tell us how you are the only person in the world to know about them.

25 Highest Mountains In The World

Old 09-05-2015, 05:14 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,678,682 times
Quote:
He did it after Obama said the change will take place.

Yes, but he's still an ex-President of the USA and will be in that position forever.

Care to name those 'dozens of mountains in Argentina, Chile, Bolivia, Peru and Ecuador that are higher?'

The only reason I ask is because Mount Denali (McKinely) is actually the third highest mountain in the world, surpassed by Mount Anconcagua in Argentina (2nd highest in the world) and Mount Everest in China/Nepal.

I do wonder where those dozens mountains that you alone seem to be aware are higher than Mount Denali (McKinley) actually are, and tell us how you are the only person in the world to know about them.

25 Highest Mountains In The World
Denali is the tallest mountain in North American.
But it is not even in the top 20 of the Tallest Mountains in the Western Hemisphere.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:56 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Well, there may be some variables in this argument, as to how different countries/regions measure mountains. But all the facts that I have come across shows Denali as 1st in North America, and 2nd in the Western Hemisphere. "those dozens of other mountains" are mainly in the Himalayas.

BTW, Alaska has been trying to get the feds to rename this mountain since the mid-70's, somewhat early in their statehood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.