Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 11:34 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA&France View Post
I guess a big concern for me to is that I've never lived in a city in America only in Europe. I'm not so sure how good my "street smarts" are since there hasn't been any crime any place I have lived yet.
As a general rule, the more run-down a place looks, the less safe it is. This is especially true for things that are privately owned (stores, houses, cars) rather than public infrastructure. In any given area that you are considering, is there a lot of litter about? Graffiti? Is the paint peeling? Are the cars older models that don't look well-maintained? Are the store windows dirty? Are there a lot of stores that cater to low-income people (liquor stores, check-cashing places, payday-loan stores, etc.)?

This isn't a hard-and-fast rule, of course, but it's a pretty good guide. Some people enjoy "gritty" or "edgy," but sometimes these things can slide into "unsafe." Go for a clean, well-maintained area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 11:40 AM

35 posts, read 33,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
As a general rule, the more run-down a place looks, the less safe it is. This is especially true for things that are privately owned (stores, houses, cars) rather than public infrastructure. In any given area that you are considering, is there a lot of litter about? Graffiti? Is the paint peeling? Are the cars older models that don't look well-maintained? Are the store windows dirty? Are there a lot of stores that cater to low-income people (liquor stores, check-cashing places, payday-loan stores, etc.)?

This isn't a hard-and-fast rule, of course, but it's a pretty good guide. Some people enjoy "gritty" or "edgy," but sometimes these things can slide into "unsafe." Go for a clean, well-maintained area.
Yeah we are definitely more of a well-maintained area kind of people than gritty. The neighborhood we live in right now is absolutely beautiful.
Attached Thumbnails
An American and a French moving from Europe to the USA-karlin-.jpg  

Old 09-16-2015, 09:24 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,890 times
That is gorgeous. Prague is amazing

My advice is take a trip and walk the neighborhoods you are thinking about, I stayed in the holiday inn downtown in raleigh and walked to oakwood and all around downtown and went to five points and boylan heights and cameron village and just walked and biked looking for things I like.

Even the suburbs around five points and dixie trail area/hillsborough street area is a few minutes bike ride from downtown and tons of trees and parks and creeks, plus you could probably get a house for rent for what you are paying for an apartment in europe, yard, deck, grilling at night, a dog,gardening. etc. The suburbs near raleigh around five points and dixie trail is just a few minutes from downtown and is like a forest with creeks and trees and parks .

I did the same thing in Chapel hill/Carrboro area. That whole college town is pretty walkable/cycling area

I noticed you mentioned charleston sc , I would take a trip to virginia beach/wilmington nc/ myrtle beach/hilton head/charleston/ savannah/ even north florida( I know you said you hated the florida heat but its not all that bad when you are near the ocean.All the southeast beach areas . Its going to be alot tougher to find an IT job there than you would in rtp area but charleston is my dream city and it is alot closer to the beach.

I had a friend I sailed with who stayed at these gorgeous apartments in charleston where they have these enormous antebellum homes they make into apartments. They arent cheap , but probably about the same you are paying in prague. Charleston is on the water and not far from the beach at all.

Hilton Head would be a dream to live in but it is not easy to find an IT job there I am sure, you really need to get her into boating if you guys live near the coast

charleston rentals

Historic Charleston Apartments for Rent | Downtown Charleston, SC

https://www.facebook.com/Historic-Ch...8629/timeline/

charleston common use and wikimedia commons photos

charleston apartment

FEATURES INCLUDE:
Central Heat & Air Conditioning
Modern Kitchens and Bath
Some Units include High Ceilings, Porches, and Washers and Dryers
Off-Street Parking
Recently Renovated for Modern Living

128 WENTWORTH STREET
PRICING:
1 Bedroom / 1 Bath from $1565
2 Bedrooms / 1 Bath from $2260
3 Bedrooms / 3 Baths from $3000

PRICING:
1 Bedroom / 1 Bath from $1765
2 Bedrooms / 1 Bath from $2260

FEATURES INCLUDE:
High Ceilings and Porches
Large Spacious Rooms
Washer/Dryer
Dishwashers and Microwaves
Off-Street Parking
Recently Renovated for Modern Living

[IMG][/IMG]

hilton head common use photo

Last edited by floridanative10; 09-16-2015 at 10:20 PM..

Old 09-17-2015, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
That is gorgeous. Prague is amazing

My advice is take a trip and walk the neighborhoods you are thinking about, I stayed in the holiday inn downtown in raleigh and walked to oakwood and all around downtown and went to five points and boylan heights and cameron village and just walked and biked looking for things I like.

Even the suburbs around five points and dixie trail area/hillsborough street area is a few minutes bike ride from downtown and tons of trees and parks and creeks, plus you could probably get a house for rent for what you are paying for an apartment in europe, yard, deck, grilling at night, a dog,gardening. etc. The suburbs near raleigh around five points and dixie trail is just a few minutes from downtown and is like a forest with creeks and trees and parks .

I did the same thing in Chapel hill/Carrboro area. That whole college town is pretty walkable/cycling area

I noticed you mentioned charleston sc , I would take a trip to virginia beach/wilmington nc/ myrtle beach/hilton head/charleston/ savannah/ even north florida( I know you said you hated the florida heat but its not all that bad when you are near the ocean.All the southeast beach areas . Its going to be alot tougher to find an IT job there than you would in rtp area but charleston is my dream city and it is alot closer to the beach.

I had a friend I sailed with who stayed at these gorgeous apartments in charleston where they have these enormous antebellum homes they make into apartments. They arent cheap , but probably about the same you are paying in prague. Charleston is on the water and not far from the beach at all.

Hilton Head would be a dream to live in but it is not easy to find an IT job there I am sure, you really need to get her into boating if you guys live near the coast

Wow that looks beautiful. I am definitely going to check out Charleston when I get back home. If I could find decently paying job there it seems like a really nice place to go and live. I'm sure my girlfriend would love all of the architecture and history.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:01 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA&France View Post
My girlfriend has never had to own a car before and doesn't fully grasp how big the US is,
This might help=
Europe and US Country Size Comparison Map - How Big is Europe?

Out of curiosity has your girlfriend ever been to the USA?

You might want to give St Augustine Florida a look=
https://www.google.ca/search?q=st+au...IVzBw-Ch0evgEm

Old 09-17-2015, 01:44 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
I think a European and an American used to living in Europe would appreciate a city like Charleston that is old, historic and walkable. Savannah is another one to look at. However Atlanta, Charlotte and Nashville are typical southern cities with high growth rates and a lot of sprawl. Something Europeans don't like about the USA is how much sprawl and car centric culture there is here. I think a European may feel more comfortable in a place like Charleston.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
This might help=
Europe and US Country Size Comparison Map - How Big is Europe?

Out of curiosity has your girlfriend ever been to the USA?

You might want to give St Augustine Florida a look=
https://www.google.ca/search?q=st+au...IVzBw-Ch0evgEm
She lived in Richmond for 1 year. She absolutely loved it.

Old 09-17-2015, 03:36 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
If she loved Richmond the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area might work.

Old 09-17-2015, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If she loved Richmond the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area might work.
The only problem is I'm not such a fan of the Virginia Beach area. i'd want to be a little more South tbh. I didnt feel that The VA beach area was so clean or nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.