Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 11:22 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
My experience as a White American is that education level is the biggest factor in racial empathy. .

Educated whites intellectually know that racism is wrong and attempt to be not too obvious with it. They may even sincerely believe that they aren't, even as they work in a majority non white city like NYC, and never wonder about the lack of non whites among the professional/managerial ranks.

I suggest that educated whites not pat themselves on the back too hard. It is they, and not the Confed flag wavers, who control the economy. To the extent that institutional racism remains a problem, it is they and not the Confed flag wavers, who have the means to change it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 11:00 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,946,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
It is precisely because he wants to move around OUTSIDE of his culture, why he had his experiences which triggered this question.

If he sought an ethnic enclave he would NOT have to care, as he would be surrounded by his own, and these networks might well provide a pathway to upward mobility that he sought out. He is fully aware that these ethnic enclaves are however quite limiting, and that upward mobility suggests that he will have to engage white dominated institutions.

Tell you what. Just admit that you are an "All American white male" who lives in a country dominated by white men, and this gives you a vast range of options for you to select. Because in all of the options it will be mainly white men who dominate the path ways to upward mobility. You know them, and they know you, so less for you to figure out, or have to worry about.

So you wouldn't even have to worry about what perceptions they had of you. You will not have to conform to cultures, values or styles, different to that which you have been exposed to, and then have to be concerned about how open will people be to the fact that you are different.

This is a conversation which is very familiar to upward mobile immigrants, as well as to it is to upwardly mobile US ethnic minorities. It clearly isn't to you, and this should indicate something.
i'm not too sure where you live or have been working but uh, there are plenty of very powerful black men and women in business and politics that I have worked with and am greatly concerned with their opinion of me and my work in concerns for my future upward mobility.

Also as someone who just went through a long job search I can promise you being a white male does you NO favors on a job application at all so we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one my friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.