Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2022, 02:40 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,691,289 times

Advertisements

With a lot of political changes going on in 2022 thinking once school moving back North or maybe further in the US.

States considering moving to...

New York State

Colorado

Utah

New Mexico

Virginia

Delaware

Maine

Vermont

Massachusetts

Connecticut

New Hampshire

Oregon

Wisconsin

Illinois

Indiana

Nevada

How do these States rank for retirees, healthcare, families, and outdoor hiking/camping you think???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2022, 02:49 PM

783 posts, read 837,179 times
Northern Nevada is an outdoor lovers paradise. Schools are good up here, it’s Clark County with the bad stats.

No income tax, but real estate is pricey.

Retirees from California and New York are common here. Healthcare is very good even in my small city.

I am recommending Northern Nevada not Clark County (Las Vegas).

Utah or Nevada would be my top choices. You can find counties or cities that fit your political preferences in these states and also Colorado. I like big mountains so only these states fit.

Old 03-09-2022, 02:56 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
With a lot of political changes going on in 2022 thinking once school moving back North or maybe further in the US.

New York State

Colorado

Utah

New Mexico

Virginia

Delaware

Maine

Vermont

Massachusetts

Connecticut

New Hampshire

Oregon

Wisconsin

Illinois

Indiana

Nevada

How do these States rank for retirees, healthcare, families, and outdoor hiking/camping you think???
NY is the best. It got voted # 1 in quality of life last yr. Additionally the safest county in America - Nassau - is in NY, which ranks safest county pretty much every yr.

To me it’s a no-brainer but do your own research.

Old 03-09-2022, 03:12 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,691,289 times
Like Maine. Unless Northern Maine col doesn't match the pay. Will do more research into pay. When we were moving was $80K Wife and I joint income compared to Mass closer to $100K.

We lived in CT our entire life. Our only negatives with CT is infrastructure/traffic, suburbs feel distant from the cities, and cities outside of ones closer to the Coast didn't have much attractions. Still suburbs were great and a great family place so that's a huge plus.

Open to upstate and Albany NY area. Have to visit in all our years living in CT one area in NY never ventured to. With NY COL is higher than CT. Hopefully within the 2 years have advanced our careers before we move so COL won't be a concern.

Love NH but feel similar issues with Maine high COL but pay is low.

Never been to Vermont heard it is beautiful.

Mass we love!

Colorado and Nevada never been to heard it is an outdoor paradise with high cost of living.

Cities looking at are Richmond VA, Albuquerque NM, New London CT, New Haven CT, Hartford CT, Springfield MA, Worcester MA, Albany NY, Buffalo NY, Portland Maine, Concord NH, Portsmouth NH, Bangor ME, Falmouth ME, Henderson NV, Portland Oregon, and Indianapolis Indiana, Burlington VT.

Last edited by RunD1987; 03-09-2022 at 03:30 PM..

Old 03-09-2022, 03:26 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,238,625 times
The Northeast is generally expensive for retirees and then you have the problem of snow and especially ice. To younger people, snow is not necessarily a big deal (indeed I am in my 50s and I love snow) but it is a big deal as you get older. Try to imagine a person in their 80s walking on ice and think of what could happen.

So, it is not surprising that many people leave the Northeast/Midwest and move south when they retire.

There are some other options if you do not want to leave the North.

1. Some areas are less expensive than others in the North. In the Northeast, I believe Maine, New Hampshire and Pennsylvania is not as bad as some of the others and also I think Delaware(?) as well. Even in more expensive states, in rural areas the housing may be less expensive like Upstate New York, western Massachusetts, south Jersey, the quiet corner of Connecticut.

2. If you afford it, go the Snowbird route. Live down south for part of the year (Florida is popular for this) and maintain a house or apartment in the Northeast - you get the best of both worlds.

Old 03-09-2022, 03:34 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,238,625 times
Quote:
Like Maine. Unless Northern Maine col doesn't match the pay. Will do more research into pay. When we were moving was $80K Wife and I joint income compared to Mass closer to $100K.

We lived in CT our entire life. Our only negatives with CT is infrastructure/traffic, suburbs feel distant from the cities, and cities outside of ones closer to the Coast didn't have much attractions. Still suburbs were great and a great family place so that's a huge plus.

Open to upstate and Albany NY area. Have to visit in all our years living in CT one area in NY never ventured to. With NY COL is higher than CT. Hopefully within the 2 years have advanced our careers before we move so COL won't be a concern.

Mass we love!

Colorado and Nevada never been to heard it is an outdoor paradise with high cost of living.
I was thinking of Maine myself, I was reading something about it not being bad for retirees. I forget why, I am not planning to retire for a while yet. But anyway, it is not totally isolated if you live near I-95 plus if you live near the coast, you will still get snow but not as much as inland and north.

I have relatives in Saratoga County (north of Albany) and I LOVE this area. I am open to parts of Upstate because even though I would still live in a high tax state, the housing and COL will still be alot less then Downstate. Plus Upstate has alot of parks and the state does have some attributes for older people (NY for instance is supposed to be a healthy state for older people) Something to think about.

I believe New Hampshire has no income tax? Important to retirees who have alot of money in IRAs, 401ks, annuities, etc that has never been taxed yet. But high property taxes like other parts of the Northeast. But New Hampshire is still another possibility.

Old 03-16-2022, 11:21 PM

34,011 posts, read 17,041,831 times
Quote:

Mass we love!

Cities looking at are Richmond VA, Albuquerque NM, New London CT, New Haven CT, Hartford CT, Springfield MA, Worcester MA, Albany NY, Buffalo NY, Portland Maine, Concord NH, Portsmouth NH, Bangor ME, Falmouth ME, Henderson NV, Portland Oregon, and Indianapolis Indiana, Burlington VT.
Be careful. I know you are thinking of moving. Many economists expect high present inflation smack into 2023, followed by a big recession. It may not be wise to consider any big moves for a few years.

Old 03-16-2022, 11:38 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT View Post
Northern Nevada is an outdoor lovers paradise. Schools are good up here, it’s Clark County with the bad stats.

No income tax, but real estate is pricey.

Retirees from California and New York are common here. Healthcare is very good even in my small city.

I am recommending Northern Nevada not Clark County (Las Vegas).

Utah or Nevada would be my top choices. You can find counties or cities that fit your political preferences in these states and also Colorado. I like big mountains so only these states fit.
My parents retired from the Bay Area to the Reno-Tahoe Area and they love it.

Old 03-16-2022, 11:48 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,203,209 times
Quote:

New York State

Colorado

Utah

New Mexico

Virginia

Delaware

Maine

Vermont

Massachusetts

Connecticut

New Hampshire

Oregon

Wisconsin

Illinois

Indiana

Nevada

You’re thinking too broadly. Focus less on states and more on local areas. There is a larger QOL disparity between states than within states, in other words.

Old 03-17-2022, 07:50 AM

30 posts, read 30,028 times
Maine
New Hampshire
Wisconsin
Indiana
Utah
--BIG STEP DOWN--
Vermont
Virginia
Oregon
New Mexico
Colorado
Nevada
Delaware
Massachusetts
Connecticut
Illinois
New York
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.