Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which State is Colorado more similar to
Utah 34 54.84%
Kansas 7 11.29%
Neither 11 17.74%
In-Between 10 16.13%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 12:30 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,299,211 times

Advertisements

Colorado has a reputation for being a mountainous state like Utah. But the eastern half of the state and where most of the cities are in the Great Plains which looks like most of Kansas. The question is Colorado more similar to Utah or Kansas culturally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 12:43 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
I'd say neither are remotely close....Colorado seems to be quite libertarian as a whole, while Utah & Kansas are religiously conservative. CO strikes me as more culturally similar to New Mexico or Oregon, at least comparatively to the other two.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:08 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
I can't really say it looks like Kansas when you're within sight of the Rockies. Sure, when you look east it feels like the Great Plains (it's actually quite depressing in comparison), but all you need to do to fix that is turn around.

West of the Front Range, Colorado is more like Utah (in many ways much better than Utah) hands down. No part of Colorado is anything like Kansas east of I-135. There is even a striking difference between Colorado and Kansas on the plains: as soon as you cross the border into Kansas, you see a rapid transition from mostly dry land farming to more irrigated farming, you see more threatening signs about Jesus, and more people wave to you at stop signs.

The culture of urban Colorado is generally "General White American", there's nothing too significant about the culture here that would require any sort of tips or warnings, especially for your average Utahan or Kansan. There are some areas of Southern Colorado that stereotypically are more like New Mexico than anywhere else; they aren't as "plug and play" as the rest of the state.

Old 12-25-2015, 12:51 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,767,927 times
The part of Colorado that's anything like Kansas is the smaller area east of Denver, although I would've voted Utah but Utah is almost entirely Mormon so I ended up choosing "In-Between".

Old 12-25-2015, 09:34 PM

28,100 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
The part of Colorado that's anything like Kansas is the smaller area east of Denver, although I would've voted Utah but Utah is almost entirely Mormon so I ended up choosing "In-Between".
Define "almost entirely."

Old 12-26-2015, 07:36 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,165,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
The part of Colorado that's anything like Kansas is the smaller area east of Denver
That's half the state.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:23 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
Utah is about 60-62% LDS, which to me does not mean "entirely" even with the adverb "almost" in front of it. Idaho is 2nd, Nevada is 3rd, and surprisingly Washington and Oregon and SW Wyoming have healthy LDS populations as well.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:47 PM

57 posts, read 48,823 times
If you ignore politics and religion it's more like Utah. But if you compare on the basis of politics and religion the state is somewhat closer to Kansas.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:42 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Define "almost entirely."
Exactly!

Oh well, I guess I won't post what I would have.

To the OP, eastern CO does look more the plains because it is part of the plains. No one said states were one or the other. Some states might look like 3-4 surrounding states.

Katz, what do you think of Sitake and Detmer taking over for Bronco? I think it's a positive change. I heard K. Whitt fired the WR coach. Also a good call. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and are planning spectacular neighborhood parties in 2016.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 12-27-2015 at 11:02 PM..

Old 12-27-2015, 11:00 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
Colorado has a reputation for being a mountainous state like Utah. But the eastern half of the state and where most of the cities are in the Great Plains which looks like most of Kansas. The question is Colorado more similar to Utah or Kansas culturally?
It might depend on where the pot shops are. Otherwise, what is hard to realize Colorado is culturally different from the states it borders? Different populations in CO are different too. Most connect parts of CO and TX. Utah has a reputation for much better powder for skiing. Utah residents don't go to CO to ski, but CO residents do sneak off to UT to ski.

Grand Junction, Steamboat Springs, Gunnison etc. are much more like UT. I think Denver is its own place, as is The Springs.

There certainly won't be plain state trends in western CO. That is Rocky Mtn. High...without substances. Places like Telluride. Have you ever driven those roads and switchbacks? Those roads would never exist east of the Front Range. That area is different too.

Perhaps you could explain your definition of cultural. It would never dawn on me to connect the Redlands and Mtns. Of Utah with Kansas and Nebraska.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.