Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2021, 06:56 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times

Advertisements

It’s well known that certain Countries are known for their sense of humor, like the US, Canada, and the UK.

I think, similarly, certain cities in the US itself are known to have a better sense of humor than others, be it a certain wittiness, or extreme sarcasm, etc.

Whether it’s personal experience with locals, or it’s based on comedians or TV/movie/social media personalities, which cities do you perceive to have the funniest people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2021, 07:12 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
New York…includes sarcasm, which requires intelligence to understand and appreciate.

One time I entered a restaurant and stumbled/almost tripped on the entry carpet. The bartender noticed this and started humming the intro tune to the old Dick Van Dyke Show (in which he stumbles over a piece of furniture—see below). The bartender motioned me over to the bar, poured a shot for himself and me (on the house) and said “welcome to Peter Luger.” Got a good chuckle out of that.

NY’ers are less PC and more willing to let it fly and bust each other’s chops in a humorous way (also helps keep them grounded)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BttXQJ_gDnc

Last edited by elchevere; 10-23-2021 at 07:34 AM..

Old 10-23-2021, 08:08 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
The Northeast generally, with the Boston-New York-Philadelphia corridor being ground zero, is the master of quick wit, sarcasm, and brashness in the US, without question.

There's a brutal honesty/toughness/thick skin to the local personalities in these cities that breeds some of the funniest people you'll ever come across. It's actually one of the main reasons I don't think I could ever live outside of the Northeast.

A populace that doesn't appreciate/practice copious sarcasm would be depressing to be around.

Last edited by Duderino; 10-23-2021 at 08:24 AM..

Old 10-23-2021, 08:27 AM

Tell me about it…one reason why I moved back East (sort of). Many non Northeast transplants and natives out West didn’t appreciate and/or understand this form(s) of humor with many thin skinned individuals taking comments intended to be a joke as personal insults.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
The Northeast generally, with the Boston-New York-Philadelphia corridor being ground zero, is the master of quick wit, sarcasm, and brashness in the US, without question.

There's a brutal honesty/toughness/thick skin to the local personalities in these cities that breeds some of the funniest people you'll ever come across. It's actually one of the main reasons I don't think I could ever live outside of the Northeast.

A populace that doesn't appreciate/practice copious sarcasm would be depressing to be around.

Old 10-23-2021, 10:48 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,769,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
New York…includes sarcasm, which requires intelligence to understand and appreciate.

One time I entered a restaurant and stumbled/almost tripped on the entry carpet. The bartender noticed this and started humming the intro tune to the old Dick Van Dyke Show (in which he stumbles over a piece of furniture—see below). The bartender motioned me over to the bar, poured a shot for himself and me (on the house) and said “welcome to Peter Luger.” Got a good chuckle out of that.

NY’ers are less PC and more willing to let it fly and bust each other’s chops in a humorous way (also helps keep them grounded)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BttXQJ_gDnc
50 years ago, yes it was like that. now, its the exact opposite, totally PC

Old 10-23-2021, 11:49 AM

Not sure about 50 years ago—the situation I described in the restaurant occurred maybe 8 or 9 years ago….NYC hasn’t changed that much from my more and most recent experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
50 years ago, yes it was like that. now, its the exact opposite, totally PC

Old 10-23-2021, 11:55 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Boston/Coastal New England, Chicago & New York in my experience.

Old 10-23-2021, 01:00 PM

809 posts, read 467,948 times
Northeast! California can be surprisingly uptight and passive aggressive/reflexive, especially the SF Bay Area.

Old 10-23-2021, 01:14 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
I am biased towards saying New York, but Massachusetts wins the prize.

1 Massachusetts
2 NY (Metro area in particular)
3 New England in general

??? (There are funny people in all 50 states, but the above 3 states/regions stand out)

North American wildcard: Ontario, Canada

Old 10-23-2021, 06:26 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
I don't think I've ever met a particularly funny New Yorker and I know many. They definitely aren't thick-skinned either, mention Chicago Pizza being better and they flip out. Or anything criticizing New York and they can't handle it. Don't get me started on whining Yankees fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.