Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2021, 02:19 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,917,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Prove that southern states are more hospitable and I'll believe you. Otherwise you can't prove it and location of birth doesn't dictate levels of hospitality.
People in Louisiana are indeed much friendlier than when I lived in Maryland, and its much easier to make new friends here. West Virginia is very friendly and hospitable as well. In fact where I live people are in fact truly friendly in that informal way. I know all of my neighbors and we have beers and bonfires (and tell jokes) on a regular basis and many of us do keep our doors unlocked. Its also commonly known that breaking into someone's house around here will most likely result in you getting shot.

Now if you're talking about the old money, upper class South areas like Charleston/Savannah etc you might get more of the polite and formal kind of hospitality that is sometimes seen as fake, but here people are very open and upfront and speak their minds, yet are very friendly and helpful. Yet here people are also brutally honest and typically when they don't like you that will be obvious too.

New Orleans is the least hospitable place in Louisiana, where people are more rude and aggressive and especially drive aggressively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2021, 04:11 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
People in Louisiana are indeed much friendlier than when I lived in Maryland, and its much easier to make new friends here. West Virginia is very friendly and hospitable as well. In fact where I live people are in fact truly friendly in that informal way. I know all of my neighbors and we have beers and bonfires (and tell jokes) on a regular basis and many of us do keep our doors unlocked. Its also commonly known that breaking into someone's house around here will most likely result in you getting shot.

Now if you're talking about the old money, upper class South areas like Charleston/Savannah etc you might get more of the polite and formal kind of hospitality that is sometimes seen as fake, but here people are very open and upfront and speak their minds, yet are very friendly and helpful. Yet here people are also brutally honest and typically when they don't like you that will be obvious too.

New Orleans is the least hospitable place in Louisiana, where people are more rude and aggressive and especially drive aggressively.
Thats probably because you fit the exact mold of people in your area. I knew our neighbors in Arvada, one of them would cut their porch light off because he thought it interrupted our fires in the yard. I cut the grass of the older lady across the street. Keeping your doors unlocked is just silly.

This is really wierd because New Orleans is used to people from all over the world and different walks of life, I'm going to guess you live in Livingston Parish and its definitely not accepting outside of Denham Springs, you generally have to be a Christian and republican to actually fit in with the general population. I'm sure you have been to Fred's on the River, I was effectively kicked out, being the only black guy there. I hadn't even finished a game of pool and was asked 3 times for my ID, so we all left.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Prove that they aren't more hospitable. You can't.
I've always made the point that you can't measure any of this so its pointless to argue about it. Which is why you might see me in other threads asking about friendliness, humor, etc mentioning how its a pointless conversation.

Old 11-07-2021, 06:31 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Thats probably because you fit the exact mold of people in your area. I knew our neighbors in Arvada, one of them would cut their porch light off because he thought it interrupted our fires in the yard. I cut the grass of the older lady across the street. Keeping your doors unlocked is just silly.

This is really wierd because New Orleans is used to people from all over the world and different walks of life, I'm going to guess you live in Livingston Parish and its definitely not accepting outside of Denham Springs, you generally have to be a Christian and republican to actually fit in with the general population. I'm sure you have been to Fred's on the River, I was effectively kicked out, being the only black guy there. I hadn't even finished a game of pool and was asked 3 times for my ID, so we all left.

I've always made the point that you can't measure any of this so its pointless to argue about it. Which is why you might see me in other threads asking about friendliness, humor, etc mentioning how its a pointless conversation.
We may as well be on different planets, your general views and opinions go against everything I feel and believe in. You seem to be extremely cynical, I equate that as embracing negative energy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.