Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 04:40 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times

Advertisements

I like the cities, but it is fairly isolated and insanely cold. Definitely the extreme weather OP stated they wanted to avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 05:33 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,249 times
Asheville, NC in the mountains, beautiful, very liberal and LGBT friendly. Jobs can be tough would need to look into that apect first. Weather pretty mild a bit humid in the summer but not insanely hot like rest of the south. Some snow but not Minnesota or New England.
Good Luck, wherever you land!

Old 02-02-2016, 10:06 AM

530 posts, read 637,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
Jobs can be tough would need to look into that apect first.
This is an understatement. Finding professional jobs in Asheville is nigh impossible because there just isn't enough industry there outside of service/tourism. I've known many people who wanted to move there until the realized the harsh reality of the Asheville economy.

Absolutely lovely city, and and so close to fantastic outdoor opportunities, but I can't imagine OP and his partner would find the careers they want.

In NC the best place would be Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill as someone else mentioned. It is liberal and full of universities and tech jobs.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:50 PM

15 posts, read 18,234 times
Thank you so much for all of your responses!

One thing to note, and I should have included this in the beginning, is that we currently live in the Raleigh/ Chapel Hill/ Durham area and would like to relocate. We love this area, and it really is perfect for us in so many ways. But we would like to find something new.

Cities I like and why - Sacramento, Philadelphia, and Richmond:
Not as expensive
University
Liberal
Airport
Close to other big cities

Issue with DC:
Very high COL. The job offers I've gotten in the past for the DC area were higher but not nearly high enough to cover the higher COL. Would love to find another area like the Triangle that has lower cost but good salaries.

Issues with Dallas/ Twin Cities:
Extreme weather

Issue with Asheville, NC:
Not enough jobs

The city we like the most is Philadelphia due to the reasons listed above and also because it's so close to so many awesome cities. And especially because it isn't nearly as expensive as other big cities! Are there any areas within the city that people really like? Or towns nearby that are nice to live in?

Thanks for all of your help everyone!

Old 02-03-2016, 09:45 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
Seattle, but pricey. Tacoma, less pricey, but still gay friendly.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:42 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahmana92 View Post

One thing to note, and I should have included this in the beginning, is that we currently live in the Raleigh/ Chapel Hill/ Durham area and would like to relocate. We love this area, and it really is perfect for us in so many ways. But we would like to find something new.

Not as expensive
University
Liberal
Airport

Issue with DC:
Very high COL. The job offers I've gotten in the past for the DC area were higher but not nearly high enough to cover the higher COL. Would love to find another area like the Triangle that has lower cost but good salaries.

Extreme weather

Not enough jobs

The city we like the most is Philadelphia due to the reasons listed above and also because it's so close to so many awesome cities. And especially because it isn't nearly as expensive as other big cities! Are there any areas within the city that people really like? Or towns nearby that are nice to live in?

If you've narrowed it down to those three, my vote is Philadelphia. I'm sure you're away, though, that Philly can be blazing hot in summer and get feet of snow in winter...right? It's nothing like the heat of the south where it's constant and every day, but heatwaves happen. And it's still a northern city and gets a real winter. Nothing like the midwest or New England, though, but be prepared.

That said, I think Philadelphia would be best. Much better access to other cities. Sacramento only is close to SF and Lake Tahoe. Many more universities in Philly. Sacramento only has Sacramento State which isn't that great and UC Davis which is outside the city. Both are very liberal though. Philadelphia is much cheaper than any city in California. Philly has a bigger airport.

Center City. Rittenhouse Square. Washington Square West is the gayborhood. Graduate Hospital.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:10 AM

998 posts, read 1,249,966 times
Richmond is a jewel for everyone.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:41 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahmana92 View Post

Not as expensive
University
Liberal
Airport

Issue with DC:

Extreme weather

Not enough jobs

I'm in Philly. I'm gay. With your budget you could probably swing most neighborhoods downtown. Those include Old City, Washington Sq West, Midtown Village, Fitler Sq., and on the very high end, Rittenhouse.

Other neighborhoods, all near or directly adjacent to downtown(called Center City), Graduate Hospital, Fairmount, Spring Garden, parts of Francisville.

Others are in S. Philly: East Passyunk, Pennsport, Queen Village.

University City, which contains Penn, Drexel, University of the Sciences, has Spruce Hill and Clark Park neighborhoods

Then there are the sort of outliers which are popular with people your age and are definitely gay-friendly: Northern Liberties, Fishtown, Manayunk.

Towns outside that you might consider are Ardmore and Media.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:49 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
If you've narrowed it down to those three, my vote is Philadelphia. I'm sure you're away, though, that Philly can be blazing hot in summer and get feet of snow in winter...right? It's nothing like the heat of the south where it's constant and every day, but heatwaves happen. And it's still a northern city and gets a real winter. Nothing like the midwest or New England, though, but be prepared.

That said, I think Philadelphia would be best. Much better access to other cities. Sacramento only is close to SF and Lake Tahoe. Many more universities in Philly. Sacramento only has Sacramento State which isn't that great and UC Davis which is outside the city. Both are very liberal though. Philadelphia is much cheaper than any city in California. Philly has a bigger airport.

Center City. Rittenhouse Square. Washington Square West is the gayborhood. Graduate Hospital.
Well, the snow in Philly is hit or miss. There have been winters with barely any snow or the 2 feet we got two weeks ago. When Boston got record breaking snow last winter(2015), Phila. got a fraction of that. So, yes, you are correct.

The summers can be hot/humid but it's not like, say, Houston.

And being 1.5-2 hours away from NYC is benefit, IMO.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:55 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,074,467 times
Apart from possibly scenery and cold weather, Ann Arbor sounds like a great fit for you two.

There are many universities within about an hour drive. You get all of the big city benefits of Detroit being nearby without most of the problems. I think it's the third most educated city in the country behind Berkeley and Cambridge. There's lots to do in terms of the arts - much more than most cities its size, and it's very liberal and LGBT friendly (by far the most in the state.) The only downside is University of Michigan sports fans, but I might be biased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.