Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 10:14 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,494,889 times

Advertisements

In VA:
Arlington National Cemetery (DC)
Jamestown/Colonial Williamsburg
Monticello

In NC:
Fort Raleigh National Historic Site (Lost Colony)/Wright Brothers National Memorial (both on Outer Banks)
Blue Ridge Parkway (especially the Linn Cove Viaduct close to Blowing Rock/Boone)
Biltmore Estate (Asheville)

In SC:
Charleston and the Low Country, you could spend a few days in this area along with Savannah in GA not terribly far away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 10:52 AM

3,703 posts, read 4,852,685 times
Take your pick, many have already been mentioned.

NC's Outer Banks. Take the ferry from Ocracoke on down for a coastal trip. Like fishing? take a charter out of Oregon Inlet or Hatteras. You won't find better anywhere else in the states!
Take a coastal drive across the Bay Bridge Tunnel from/onto the Delmarva Peninsula, be sure to stop on the the "island" if you see any warships passing through! Stop at Chinqoteque, VA and check out Assateques wild pony's.
Charleston, SC
Savannah, GA
St Augustine, FL
Daytona FL during bike week (if into motorcycles) or the Daytona 500
Disney World and other assorted area tourist traps
Ft Lauderdale and the mega yachts
party and eat in South Beach, Miami
Take a drive through the keys and hang out in Key West for a couple nights
New Orleans (though personally, I've never been)
Nashville (though personally I've never been)
The Blue Ridge PKW in NC.
Skyline drive in VA, and Luray Caverns (been years since I've been to the caverns so who knows now)
Assorted Civil War battlefields

It's a huge section of the US with much to do and see so just pick something. Obviously, my picks are going to be more NC and VA oriented because I live in MD so many of those are day trips to me. Or coastal places because of my work. I have also lived in (and will return to ) South Florida

Old 02-15-2016, 12:49 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,768,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovinOnSouth View Post
Southwestern?

We're in PA and DC is a day trip for us. Lots of high schools around here do day trips to DC during the school year.
I was joking on the Southwestern part.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:40 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Charleston, Savannah, New Orleans and St Augustine, some of the coolest historical cities in the US, not just the South. The Vicksburg national battlefield, Richmond and the countless civil war cites there, Fort Sumpter (see Charleston). Of course there is the natural beauty too so don't miss the Carolina beaches, the Blue ridge parkway and the Smokey Mountain National Park. Cant say you have seen the South either unless you get some good BBQ, and wash it down with some sweet tea.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:46 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,685,561 times
Natural Bridge, Iwo Jima memorial, Arlington national cemetery, Mt Vernon, Monticello, the library at UVA, Williamsburg, Yorktown, Blue Ridge Parkway, Biltmore, Cape Hatteras, Harpers Ferry, New River Gorge, Cumberland Gap, Charleston, Savanna, Hot Springs, Stone Mountain, the Greenbrier hotel, the Grand Old Opry, Church HillDowns, Mammoth Cave, the Mississippi River, Natchez, Oxford, Mobile, all of New Orleans, the Everglades, Cape Canaveral, the Alamo and on and on...

Old 02-16-2016, 06:14 PM

Visit Chapel Hill for the quintessential southern college town, and Duke over in Durham is also worth visiting (Duke Chapel). Other than that, I don't think there's really anything worth visiting in the NC Piedmont. When you come to NC, it's best to spend time along the coast or in the mountains. Raleigh, Greensboro, and Charlotte are just cities, really.

Also doesn't make much sense to visit the Virginia mountains when you can just come down to NC.

Last edited by JayJayCB; 02-16-2016 at 06:30 PM..

Old 02-16-2016, 06:57 PM

3,703 posts, read 4,852,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Also doesn't make much sense to visit the Virginia mountains when you can just come down to NC.
I agree, if it's convenient to do so, and I'm not bashing VA's part of the Appalachians either. Skyline drive and Shenendoah National Park in VA is a beautiful drive and for me is closer as I can make a day trip out of it.

But the last time I did that drive I took a couple days and just followed the Blue Ridge PKW down into NC. I got to talking to some old man in a street rodded out old truck who used to sell moonshine in the area I live in now and he told me to keep going as the views get prettier and the mountains get taller the further down. I'm glad I took his advise because the Blue Ridge PKW has got to be one of the most beautiful roads I've followed on down. The views are incredible, especially with the fall color change. Definitely up there with any of the views I've seen driving around the mountain roads in Costa Rica and Colombia!

Old 02-16-2016, 10:17 PM

I'm obviously biased, but I think NC is the best state in the South when it comes to natural beauty. I love driving on the Blue Ridge Parkway, especially around Boone and Blowing Rock. Opposite side of the state, you really can't beat our Outer Banks. It's the middle, the NC Piedmont, that isn't as special. Some pretty countryside north of Greensboro, but east of Raleigh is very ugly until you hit the coast.

The VA Piedmont beats us, for sure. The countryside around Charlottesville, I'm particularly fond of. I've always loved driving from Raleigh to Charlottesville.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:29 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I'm obviously biased, but I think NC is the best state in the South when it comes to natural beauty. I love driving on the Blue Ridge Parkway, especially around Boone and Blowing Rock. Opposite side of the state, you really can't beat our Outer Banks. It's the middle, the NC Piedmont, that isn't as special. Some pretty countryside north of Greensboro, but east of Raleigh is very ugly until you hit the coast.

The VA Piedmont beats us, for sure. The countryside around Charlottesville, I'm particularly fond of. I've always loved driving from Raleigh to Charlottesville.

We have our share of mountain beauty in Tennessee. Ill admit you have an advantage with the ocean, but our mountains are as pretty as yours.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:12 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,519,579 times
There's more, but this is just off of the top of my head........
U.S National Whitewater Center (Charlotte, NC)
Biltmore Estate (Asheville, NC)
Wild Stallions and Lighthouses (Outer Banks, NC)
Blue Ridge PKWY (Smokey Mnts. NC)
History, Beauty, Architecture, Food, Beaches (Charleston SC, Savannah GA)
Disney World/Universal Studios (Orlando, FL)
Key West, FL
NASA (Cape Canaveral, FL)
Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel (Norfolk, VA)
Monticello (Charlottesville, VA)
Birth of the Blues and Riverboats (Memphis, TN)
Arlington Cemetary (Arlington VA)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.