Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 10:09 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManWhoSoldtheWorld View Post
Grow some balls, get off your computer and go talk to women. No city is going to make random women suddenly approach you because of some insignificant ratio.
I do talk to women but most of the time, they drop the "I have a boyfriend" cliche. I'm just lucky that her "boyfriend" is not hiding somewhere with an M16 with the finger on the trigger.

But from all my travels, metros with < 400k sees a vast majority of its population getting married by 25. Sure that large cities has more singles but many large metros (NYC, LA, Bay Area) has a "rat race" lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 10:15 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Dude, the ratio isn't your problem. You're over thinking romance. Any major city should work fine, for 'single millenial men' as cities attract young professionals, period.

Focus more on somewhere you would enjoy living, going outside, doing your thing (wtv that is for you), and you'll find that you'll meet more people in a place where you are happier and will have more energy to socialize.
If there is a city which has a huge amount of single millennial women, I wouldn't want to go back home and stay out as much as I can. I have to agree that something has to motivate you to go out. Whenever I go to the SF bay area or Socal, I feel so alive no matter the ratio. But when I go to a very small metro, I have no motivation except to stay home and play video games.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:20 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
But from all my travels, metros with < 400k sees a vast majority of its population getting married by 25. Sure that large cities has more singles but many large metros (NYC, LA, Bay Area) has a "rat race" lifestyle.
It definitely depends on the culture of the area. In the Phoenix metro many get married by 25 as well. Not that you couldn't find singles but they are much tougher to find unless you are in certain areas or partake in certain activities (aka clubbing, bars, college, etc.). I'm sure in a city that emphasizes career over family like NYC or the Bay you will find a lot more singles who prioritized career over marriage. I haven't heard of a city with a happy medium either between career vs. marriage/family... But I'm looking for it. Even here in the sleepy desert they take the extremes.

As a single Millennial woman it's not necessarily easy for us either. My standards are high too though to be fair. And most of the single men here are A) douchelords, frat guys, or players or B) Not attractive, sort of creepy, or bland personality.

In my case, I probably do need to leave Tucson, since there are next to none working professionals here since Tucson has next to non-existing economy to support them.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:09 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,821,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Dude, the ratio isn't your problem. You're over thinking romance. Any major city should work fine, for 'single millenial men' as cities attract young professionals, period.

Focus more on somewhere you would enjoy living, going outside, doing your thing (wtv that is for you), and you'll find that you'll meet more people in a place where you are happier and will have more energy to socialize.

If Denver is too expensive for you, then avoid California, Seattle, Portland...try Austin, Dallas, Nashville, Atlanta, Raleigh.
Sex ratio is everything unless you are an alpha male. I went to two colleges. One had a female surplus and I had more female companionship and sex partners than the rest of my life put together. When I went to college with more men I never dated at all as it was a sausage fest everywhere I looked. Beta males in cities with a high proportion of males don't have a chance.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:31 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,428,286 times
While I agree with the sentiments of many of the posters who claim that the ratio is irrelevant, that it is ultimately up to the individual to make moves and land dates, ratio can and does play a factor to some degree.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:48 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Sex ratio is everything unless you are an alpha male. I went to two colleges. One had a female surplus and I had more female companionship and sex partners than the rest of my life put together. When I went to college with more men I never dated at all as it was a sausage fest everywhere I looked. Beta males in cities with a high proportion of males don't have a chance.
That sounds very scientific.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:49 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
While I agree with the sentiments of many of the posters who claim that the ratio is irrelevant, that it is ultimately up to the individual to make moves and land dates, ratio can and does play a factor to some degree.
OR, just be a down-to-Earth, honest and open individual with any kind of personality (that separates you from the herd of sheep) and you'll be fine. Just be yourself......older (30+) women dig it!

Old 02-17-2016, 08:24 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,821,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
That sounds very scientific.
It was my real life experiences. You mention science, how about math. When there are more young single men than women in a city it is mathamatically impossible for every man to pair up with a woman. There will be left over men period.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:29 AM

20 posts, read 17,938 times
Oh wow a few more replies than I thought.

Though I wish a few more had good answers, instead of using this as a chance to brag about their sexual exploites. Internet, people got to convince strangers that they have an epeen (sorry not convinced)

Thanks to those who posted some citites. Though I was really hoping to find either a raw database or a website that lets me play with the numbers.

Also I thought I established that I know ratio suck in their 20s. The problem with Denver is the crime and costs. That translates into a long commute and no time doing social stuff. Not to mention the types of people who are attracted to the pot capital of the US.

I was afraid no one would know of a good database. Just one or two factors is just not enough!

Old 02-18-2016, 12:01 PM

383 posts, read 512,452 times
Columbus or Pittsburgh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.