Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2016, 10:41 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
I guess the use of "0" in place of "O" is his trademark.
I'm thinking he just doesn't know the difference between them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 10:49 PM

196 posts, read 198,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
These inter-thread arguments are not productive.

There have been some good arguments here, but they all have been lessened here because of some trite arguments. Good grief.
Of course. I stated my position on this thread (about landscapes that DON'T wow you), then the posters got all mad, and started coming at me. I guess speaking the truth hurts people's feelings?

Old 02-21-2016, 09:21 AM

1,112 posts, read 1,055,674 times
Deserts. I much prefer the Appalachian mountains.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:05 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.I.0.N.I.C. View Post
Of course. I stated my position on this thread (about landscapes that DON'T wow you), then the posters got all mad, and started coming at me. I guess speaking the truth hurts people's feelings?
Opinions are not the same as "the truth", other than being true for you.

You have denigrated pretty much every type of natural area except prairie, as well as revealing an astounding level of ignorance about the very places you badmouth. The inaccuracies are so bad and plentiful as to not even be worth refuting. Just don't go to those places. Everyone there will be happier, and so will you.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Opinions are not the same as "the truth", other than being true for you.

You have denigrated pretty much every type of natural area except prairie, as well as revealing an astounding level of ignorance about the very places you badmouth. The inaccuracies are so bad and plentiful as to not even be worth refuting. Just don't go to those places. Everyone there will be happier, and so will you.
Nope. I happen to like exotic evergreen forests, like in the Southeastern US or in areas of the West Coast, as well as large bodies of water of any kind (from mighty rivers to oceans). High mountains and hills also make for interesting scenery. I even posted some examples of desert areas that I find exotic enough to be interesting (like White Sands in NM).

I never stated I preferred the Great Plains prairie; that is such a dull landscape. I was just saying that the Great Plains, unlike the desert, is at least useful to humanity, and offers more exciting biodiversity (in the form of those huge bison herds). Everything I posted about the desert is true, look it up yourself.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:51 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,631,909 times
Bionic probably thinks a desert in AZ looks like this, when it's not like that at all.

Compared to this, which has vegetation.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:52 PM

32 posts, read 26,634 times
TBH, that would be kind of cool - in a weird way. Instead the Arizona is much more ordinary with cacti in some southerly locations.

People have been playing up and down playing the desert as if it's something special either in a positive or negative sense. Unless there is some other topographical features like mesas, canyons, or mountains it's not all that special to look at, though that can be said for prairies, forests, swamps etc.

The only thing I never get tired of looking at is ocean or mountains. The oceans due to their never ending blue, or here in Miami beautiful turquoise. The mountains due to their drama, and how they rip apart the skyline. But honestly, living in and near mountains is all about being trapped in their shadow - which is why the best views are from the top of the mountain. An example is if you live in a city with a lot of high-rises - they block out the sun, cast a shadow over you during the day, and you develop a "boxed-in" feeling. Which is why in these high-rises, each floor higher is more expensive.

Old 02-21-2016, 01:01 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,760,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.I.0.N.I.C. View Post
Nope. I happen to like exotic evergreen forests, like in the Southeastern US or in areas of the West Coast, as well as large bodies of water of any kind (from mighty rivers to oceans). High mountains and hills also make for interesting scenery. I even posted some examples of desert areas that I find exotic enough to be interesting (like White Sands in NM).

I never stated I preferred the Great Plains prairie; that is such a dull landscape. I was just saying that the Great Plains, unlike the desert, is at least useful to humanity, and offers more exciting biodiversity (in the form of those huge bison herds). Everything I posted about the desert is true, look it up yourself.
You've considerably toned down your argument from completely baseless to somewhat understandable...in a way...I guess?

Old 02-21-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Bionic probably thinks a desert in AZ looks like this, when it's not like that at all.

Compared to this, which has vegetation.
Even deserts with vegetation still looks lifeless compared to the other biomes on Earth (with the exception of tundra and ice cap).

Old 02-21-2016, 01:17 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,760,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX2MIA4 View Post
TBH, that would be kind of cool - in a weird way. Instead the Arizona is much more ordinary with cacti in some southerly locations.

People have been playing up and down playing the desert as if it's something special either in a positive or negative sense. Unless there is some other topographical features like mesas, canyons, or mountains it's not all that special to look at, though that can be said for prairies, forests, swamps etc.

The only thing I never get tired of looking at is ocean or mountains. The oceans due to their never ending blue, or here in Miami beautiful turquoise. The mountains due to their drama, and how they rip apart the skyline. But honestly, living in and near mountains is all about being trapped in their shadow - which is why the best views are from the top of the mountain. An example is if you live in a city with a lot of high-rises - they block out the sun, cast a shadow over you during the day, and you develop a "boxed-in" feeling. Which is why in these high-rises, each floor higher is more expensive.
I completely agree that some deserts are just not very interesting. I originally had an issue with Bionics POV because he was writing all of them off as a lifeless wasteland, which can be proven wrong over and over again. I'm not going to argue that deserts are a Petri dish of life, because they aren't.

I disagree about the mountains however, because I don't understand what you mean by being trapped in there shadow? I guess if you live at the eastern edge of an imposing range, sunlight would be blocked on a daily basis after a certain time? Idk if that's what you meant.

I personally love having a constant mountain backdrop. I would say that most people take them for granted here in SoCal, but I look at them on a daily basis. The colors and definition of the mountains always change with the sun angle, and beautiful glowing sunsets cast a deep pink/orange color over the whole range basically every day.

One natural feature that doesn't really "wow" me are swamps. I had the opportunity to visit the Everglades a few years back, and while I had an awesome time airboat riding, checking out the cool flora and getting to see alligators in the wild, it wasn't all that spectacular to me scenery-wise, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.