Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 01:44 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,805,566 times

Advertisements

Do you live in an area that was once an independent community but was swallowed up by another, larger one? What remains of your "lost town" that gives away its identity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 02:14 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,144 times
Millions of Americans live in towns that were subsequently swallowed by suburbia. Most metropolitan areas contain suburbs that were once independent towns/cities.

Old 02-28-2016, 04:48 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,600,707 times
I don't live there, but . . . several years ago I was in Dallas, TX for work, and dropped by the public library.

I wanted to find out more about a town one of my ancestors created. It has since been completely absorbed by the city of Dallas. (It was called Letot, for anyone interested.)

So I went to the Dallas history room, and asked if they had any information about this tiny community. The librarian looked at me and said "This room is ONLY for research about Dallas, itself." I tried to explain to her that the community I was hoping to find information about is now a part of the city of Dallas. She asked me how I knew that it was now a part of Dallas and I explained that I had read about it in a book on the history of Dallas county history. She said "Well, if you've already read about it ... " So I walked away, confused and upset.

I've never liked Dallas ever since.

(PS, I want to make clear that this was the Dallas room, not the Genealogy department, which has a great reputation.)

Old 03-01-2016, 01:02 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times
Wow, that is the exact opposite of what a librarian is supposed to do.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:27 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,072,655 times
Some good examples:

Germantown (absorbed by Philadelphia)

Georgetown, founded in 1789 (absorbed by Washington DC)

Hamtramck (an independent town, entirely surrounded by Detroit)

Last edited by slowlane3; 03-01-2016 at 03:44 PM..

Old 03-01-2016, 04:07 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,242,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Do you live in an area that was once an independent community but was swallowed up by another, larger one? What remains of your "lost town" that gives away its identity?
Yes, I used to live in Richmond Hill and Woodhaven, former villages of the Town of Jamaica in Queens.

Jamaica was founded in the 1650s and remained independent until almost 1900 when it joined New York City. That means that Jamaica has been part of New York City for less then a third of its entire history. The center of the Town was Jamaica Village (today called Jamaica Center or Downtown Jamaica). It is a major downtown area in Queens.

The following Queens neighborhoods were part of the Town of Jamaica. Zip codes for usually Jamaica begin with 114 and are a living reminder of the former Town - thus Woodhaven is 11421 and Richmond Hill is 11418

Jamaica Center
Jamaica Estates
South Jamaica
Howard Beach
Ozone Park
Woodhaven
Richmond Hill
Kew Gardens
South Ozone Park
Briarwood
Hollis
St. Albans
Springfield Gardens
Rosedale
Cambria Heights
Queens Village

Old 03-01-2016, 07:20 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Yes, I used to live in Richmond Hill and Woodhaven, former villages of the Town of Jamaica in Queens.

Jamaica was founded in the 1650s and remained independent until almost 1900 when it joined New York City. That means that Jamaica has been part of New York City for less then a third of its entire history. The center of the Town was Jamaica Village (today called Jamaica Center or Downtown Jamaica). It is a major downtown area in Queens.

The following Queens neighborhoods were part of the Town of Jamaica. Zip codes for usually Jamaica begin with 114 and are a living reminder of the former Town - thus Woodhaven is 11421 and Richmond Hill is 11418

Jamaica Center
Jamaica Estates
South Jamaica
Howard Beach
Ozone Park
Woodhaven
Richmond Hill
Kew Gardens
South Ozone Park
Briarwood
Hollis
St. Albans
Springfield Gardens
Rosedale
Cambria Heights
Queens Village
Had no ideal all those neighborhoods were part of Jamaica....

Old 03-01-2016, 07:46 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,429,613 times
Default Ohio City

Ohio City, on the western bank of the Cuyahoga River, was merged into its rival Cleveland. They actually fought a bridge war in the 1830s before the merger in 1854 prior to the Civil War.

History | Ohio City

Today, Ohio City is a gentrifying neighborhood and home to Cleveland's dynamic Market District. St. Ignatius now is Cleveland's premier boys' parochial school.

I've often thought it was too bad that Ohio City was not surviving the entity, as the name is so much better than Cleveland IMO!

Old 03-02-2016, 10:15 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,929,815 times
Yep-I live in Germantown, now part of Philadelphia. It houses the nation's first Presidential Residence-the "Germantown White House" or Deshler-Morris House, where George Washington stayed. Also in Rittenhousetown-once its own community but absorbed into Germantown in 1890- is the first paper-mill in North America. The first bank in the US is right on Germantown Ave and is a Wells Fargo today haha. Germantown was the site of the first protest against slavery in the United States in 1688 and has an underground railroad stop which is like a museum today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germantown_White_House

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ritten...toric_District

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coloni...toric_District

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulpeh...toric_District

Germantown was absorbed into Philadelphia in 1854. Mount Airy and Chestnut Hill were also considered "Germantown" back then but are separate Philly neighborhoods today.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germantown,_Philadelphia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Airy,_Philadelphia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chestn...,_Philadelphia

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 03-02-2016 at 10:26 PM..

Old 03-03-2016, 06:22 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,019,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Millions of Americans live in towns that were subsequently swallowed by suburbia. Most metropolitan areas contain suburbs that were once independent towns/cities.
The other replies should make it clear, but that's not what the OP is talking about. They mean cities or towns which were formerly independently governed and then swallowed up by a core city through (often involuntary) annexation.

Annexation of independent cities was very common in the 19th century, but pretty much ground to a halt by 1930 or so. This is why city limits stopped expanding in the Northeast and much of the Midwest, but continued to grow outward (into unincorporated land) in the South and West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.