Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 10:55 AM

79 posts, read 127,509 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I've been in Vegas for six years now and feel like it's time to move on and live elsewhere. I came to Vegas from Ireland, so apart from vacations around the country, I don't have a great insight into where I should live next.
I figured since there's so many transplants on this forum you could give me some tips on where you came from and what cities might be what I'm looking for.

There's a few things I really want in the next place I move to.
1. I miss the ocean so coastal is a big one. I wouldn't want to be more than a 2 hour drive from the coast. But I've ruled out the west coast. It's too expensive and I'd prefer to be closer to home, so somewhere along the east coast would be ideal. I haven't ruled out Gulf states.

2. Weather. I love the weather here and I realise that I'm not going to get it in many other areas, but somewhere with sunshine and mild winters would be great. I've never dealt with snow but it doesn't appeal to me at all. I'm happiest in July and August here when the sun is bright and strong. And I know how lucky we are to only wear a coat for a few weeks a year.
This will be the thing I miss most about Vegas.

3. Outdoor activities. I love hiking here and I'd go 2-3 times a week. I also love the fact that there are leagues all around town for softball/kickball/soccer/flag football etc. But somewhere that has an outdoor environment even if it's boating/fishing/whatever.

4. Cost of living. I'm moving on my own and can't afford a high cost of living. I'm a massage therapist and make a good wage here but I know that's inflated compared to what I'd make elsewhere.

5. Airport access. I'd like to be within a 3 hour drive to a major airport. If I can get a direct flight to Ireland it's a huge bonus.

6. People. The thing I hate most about Vegas is the fact that it's hard to meet great people. And the fantastic friends that I have met are all planning on leaving too. So I'd like to settle in a place long term and be surrounded by people that are there for good too. I'm 31 so a city that has a decent young population is needed.

7. Social life. This isn't hugely important, but I do like a good nightlife. Good bars, live music and people willing to avail of them.

I know I'm asking for the impossible but if you can think of places that might get me most of what I want. I keep thinking of SC but I've never been so I don't know where to begin. People tell me Austin is a good choice for me but it's a little further west than I'd like and further from the coast. But I would consider it as an option if everything else was there for me. I'm taking a trip there in June to check it out.
I haven't spent a lot of time there, but I loved Nashville. The music and atmosphere were perfect. Again it's not near a coast but I'm willing to compromise on my list if all else falls into place.

If you think of cities that would suit me please suggest them, even if they don't hit all my requests. I'd never rule out the Northeast for example if my quality of life would improve.

Thanks for all and any help and hopefully I've given enough info to go on. If not, let me know what else I need to give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 11:18 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
The answer to all your questions except one is Key West.

Great people, great little airport (EYW) which gets you to MIA (and thus the world) in 20 minutes. Best pubs in America. A town which places literature on the highest pedestal. World-class arts scene including a symphony orchestra and eight playhouses.

The problem is, it's the most expensive place in America. So I'd settle and head for Tampa -- the Centro Ybor area is very nice. And it has suburbs you can escape to for a lower cost of living. Mainland Florida isn't nearly as nice as the Keys -- bugs, humidity, retirees. But that's where I'd look.

PS -- I love Ireland and get along great with the people there. I don't get along AT ALL with 99% of the people in Las Vegas. It's more like living in the third-world (people wise) than anyone here would be willing to admit.

Ybor City, Tampa:

Old 03-21-2016, 11:26 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,783,947 times
I would look at the Raleigh/Cary/Apex area of North Carolina.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:31 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,581,431 times
Agree with Scoop, the only place that really meets most of your criteria is Florida. Nashville does get cold in the winter and summers are hot and humid. For that matter, Florida is hot and humid as well, but it doesn't have cold winters. You might also look at Georgia or South Carolina.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:34 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
If music is that important and lack of an ocean isn't a deal-breaker, the obvious answer is Austin. Great city, unfortunately surrounded by Texas.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:34 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,115,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I would look at the Raleigh/Cary/Apex area of North Carolina.

That part of the world is the WORST for outdoor activities. It will go from extremely hot and humid, to freezing, to tornadoes, to ice storms in a 24 hour period. It rains all the time. It ices all winter. It's the worst place I have ever lived.
Unless you're heavily into medical research, I wouldn't even think about going there.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:07 PM

455 posts, read 651,595 times
I suggest Charleston, SC. Take a visit there and see what you think...

Old 03-21-2016, 01:16 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,254,094 times
Tampa might be a good place for you. It is really nice there. It has a good night life, beautiful beaches.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:34 PM

206 posts, read 182,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
If music is that important and lack of an ocean isn't a deal-breaker, the obvious answer is Austin. Great city, unfortunately surrounded by Texas.
And the 27 mil residents of Texas consider Austin to be a nice Midwestern town.

Old 03-21-2016, 04:23 PM

79 posts, read 127,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Neither is more important than the other. I've been without both here in Vegas so I'm missing both. But I'd be willing to trade certain things if it meant I had most of the others on the list. I'd love a place with good weather but if it meant somewhere like Massachusetts would be a great fit except for snow then I'd consider moving there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumaboy View Post
I suggest Charleston, SC. Take a visit there and see what you think...
This is the top place on my mind at the moment. But I've never been to SC and I don't know anyone from the area. I'm planning on going there in September and then if it seems like a good place, I'd visit 2-3 more times before I moved.
Are there major downsides to here that I might not know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Tampa might be a good place for you. It is really nice there. It has a good night life, beautiful beaches.
Thanks. For some reason I never considered Tampa. But I know someone from the area that still has family there so I can research it better.

Thanks for the replies from everyone so far. If there are negatives to a place I'd love to hear them as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.