Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2010, 05:47 PM

117 posts, read 344,635 times

Advertisements

I'm a single male in my early 40's currently residing in the Seattle area. I was born and raised here although, spent 8 years in Colorado before I ended up moving back for personal reasons. I'm wanting to move again (actually, I never wanted to return to the Seattle area) but not sure where. (Yes, Colorado is still a possibility)

Anyway, trying to figure out why I am unhappy here is helping me know what I'm looking for so, maybe I can get some ideas.

The Seattle area is a bit too "reserved" for me. (The "Seattle Freeze" which I won't get into) I'm a bit reserved myself which makes it difficult enough to make friends so to be in such a "reserved" place makes it even harder. (I hear the New England area is more reserved than Seattle area though so....does that eliminate the New England area?) I don't need to be "Mr Popular" but it would be nice to meet people just to do things with.

Too many gray and dreary days in the Seattle area.

Too much traffic. I know traffic is a nightmare in any metro area but the sprawl that seems to predominate metro areas in the west and south (from what I hear) means "getting away from it all" is getting further and further away

Too high-tech, white-collar environment. I have more of a "blue-collar" mentality and prefer wearing jeans and t-shirts to work over suit and ties.

High Cost of living (due to high paying, high-tech industry). I'm in the low paying social service sector which I don't love but I don't hate either. I have a bachelors degree (sociology) and while willing to go back to school in order to further my education I don't want to feel that I have to in order to get a job that keeps up with the COL

While the field I'm in has an unusally high turn-over rate, it probably won't be too difficult to find a job but since it also always requires a background check I need to find a place that has a strong enough economy and/or a low enough cost of living so I can at least get something until my background check comes back. (Not worried about my background check, I'm so clean I squeak; kinda embarrasing in a way) but if I move out of state I would have to wait until my current state of Washington responds to a background inquiry which tends to vary from state to state.

Suggestions/leads would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 09:23 PM

9,526 posts, read 16,507,823 times
I have no idea why people think that every person in New England is reserved. There may be some but I don't think its a dominant trait. If anything many will talk your ear off and have been neighbors for decades and generations. I very much think standoffish and oblivious to others is a dominant trait in the Northwest. There most definitely is a Seattle or Northwest freeze. It is better here for the person that has a backround here than for many transplants. That and many seem depressed and a lack of drive. Is that all residents, no but it is many. I never saw people in New England snub a stranger even in Boston, like I have seen in Seattle and Portland. Nor have I ever seen as much visible poverty as I have seen in the Northwest, or any place in New England for that matter. New England is a great place but unfortunately it is a very expensive place to live, and can have long fridgid cold brutal winters. Those two traits basically rule the area out for many.

You might want to check out the major cities in Texas. Based on your criteria. Less of the gray wet weather of the Northwest, Texas has a much more mild to hot climate. Lower cost of living and no Income Tax. Texas is one of the few states that still has a strong economy. You might want to check it out. You certainly won't have to deal with the wet depressing climate as in the Northwest. The people in Texas seem to be more down to earth and friendly also. There is good and bad everywhere, but some places just don't agree with us. Perhaps that is what is going on with you in Seattle. Its just not meant to be. Best of Luck.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:12 AM

27,187 posts, read 43,876,617 times
It sounds like you might be attracted to the New England area (?) and if so I wouldn't discount it. An area to consider is the Portsmouth-Rochester-Concord area of New Hampshire. They've been hovering at 5% unemployment for awhile. There is a diversified economy as well. You won't find a chilly, reserved population either. Laidback would be more the descriptive. You will not feel uncomfortable in T-shirts and Jeans living. Rochester and Portmouth are the larger cities...Concord is small, yet the state capitol so it holds it own in terms of activity level. All three are walkable, which is a nice option versus driving everywhere. Traffic is not an issue unless you're commuting in to Boston as some do. There is no sprawl to speak of, it's about 45 miles to Boston and the surrounding southern New Hampshire metro area is around 30-40 square miles. If you're working in the Boston metro, there are many commuter options (trains/buses) from southern New Hampshire. The weather is what you might expect for New England, though you won't have the cold/wet/dreary effect of Seattle. Lastly, it's beautiful...I'd recommend checking out Portsmouth in particular. It's on the coast (who knew New Hampshire had beaches?) and has a great quality of life. Good luck on your search!

Portsmouth, New Hampshire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
VisitNH : Welcome to New Hampshire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.