Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2016, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 1,427 times

Advertisements

In the interconnected world of USA- Life is so hard for the common people. Millions of people live under poverty. Wages are stagnant. Social mobility is a dream. Minimum wage is so low that you cannot afford to pay your bills even you work 40 hours per week. House rent is sky rocketing. Student dept is mounting. There is no proper decent paying jobs. Even big multinational companies are sending their jobs outside. In the interconnected society where one factor depend on other, general public has to go through so much pain for basic necessity of life like food, shelter and jobs. People cannot earn enough to buy food- millions are surviving on food stamps. Millions of people are homeless- yet we live in most powerful and wealthy nation of world where richest person like Bill Gates and lives. Are we proud as a nation producing people like Bill Gates or pushing Millions of people into poverty and homeless?

Old 06-21-2016, 10:36 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,993 times
The only thing I'll agree with in your post is that there is an increasing gap in the U.S. between the haves and have-nots.

Everything else in your post just seems like you're bitter because your life hasn't turned out the way you want. I'm actually doing just fine financially at the moment so I can't relate. I've worked hard since I was 15 years old and I now do ok for myself. I know plenty of others who are doing just fine as well.

This is probably the most wealthy and upwardly mobile generation this country has every seen. There are also many places in the U.S. that are affordable to live. It seems as though you really have no real personal knowledge about this country at all. Are you even from here?

Your reference to Bill Gates doesn't make much sense either. It just sounds like you're resentful that people like him have worked hard to gain financial success. For the record...

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Old 06-21-2016, 10:46 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
Inequality is a problem but let's be real. The biggest problem among America's poor is obesity, not starvation. Even our homeless people have food to eat. Even if you don't have health insurance a hospital can not turn you away. You should travel to a real third world country where the conditions you describe in America actually exists. In such places no one comes when you call 911, drinking water from the tap will make you sick (everywhere, not just in one city) where complaining about the govt means getting kidnapped and tortured, where to open up a business you have to bribe the local mafia or gang.

America has problems and as I said inequality is getting too high. But there are 6 billion people that would gladly trade places with you tomorrow. The USA has so many super rich people because we have a system of govt that is the world's best for innovation. The super rich also pay the vast majority of taxes, if you want to run them off who will pay for all the programs we have?

Old 06-21-2016, 11:02 AM

4,800 posts, read 2,802,137 times
Default Amusing ourselves to death?

Quote:
Originally Posted by city4forum View Post
In the interconnected world of USA- Life is so hard for the common people.

Millions of people are homeless- yet we live in most powerful and wealthy nation of world where richest person like Bill Gates and lives. Are we proud as a nation producing people like Bill Gates or pushing Millions of people into poverty and homeless?
Is there a connection between the two? Are people suffering because Gates is wealthy? & if that's so, won't those same millions do much better because the Gates are systematically using their monies pursuing public good?

Yes, it's good that Bill Gates could rise in the US. The more interesting question - could the millions of common people in the US also rise? I think the possibilities are there - that is why many people sacrifice greatly to come to the US.

To the extent that government policy is responsible for the economic outcomes of individuals, there's some merit in what you're saying. I would structure our education, agriculture, health, industrial, science, military, foreign policy differently, for instance. But this is still the US, the government doesn't actually run everything right down to assigning your interests & talents & what work you do. It was the central-plan economies - the USSR & allies, for instance - that kept trying to do that.

We still have a lot of self-determination in those spheres, @ the level of individual choice. It's more of a struggle to have influence beyond our immediate circle of acquaintances, but it's still possible.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:08 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Income gaps, homelessness, and poverty exist in every country in the world. But they didn't produce a Bill Gates or a Steve Jobs. The countries with the greatest income gaps produced dictators, military regimes, and massacres. So yeah, I'd rather have a Bill Gates.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:31 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
I'm proud that self-made billionaires like Bill Gates is using his wealth to help others.

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Old 06-21-2016, 04:17 PM

65 posts, read 79,653 times
Hmmm...having been at both ends and all shades in-between, I would say that, as difficult as times can be in the USA, it's still a good country to live in. Everyone's...and I mean everyone's situation is different; with different causes and effects and conditions. Yes, that's a generic statement...but true. I hope that the stress and unhappiness you feel, and your trying circumstances ease up in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.