Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 08:11 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times

Advertisements

Fiancee' and me are thinking of moving (Basically it ends up where ever we can land a job.) We are both from CT we love the quiet areas of CT, but these quiet areas have limited jobs and jobs in our field of work is limited. We figure living in a larger state will be beneficial.

What we like about living near Hartford area is: Concerts, conventions (Comic Con), good hiking nearby, and good food/restaurants.
What we don't like about Hartford and CT is: The weather (Not a fan of cold winter) we feel trapped from January to March. Driving in the snow is a PITA. High property cost, high taxes, limited employment, and wages don't match the high taxes/property cost. Once you done something in CT you already done it very few activities to do in CT. State is small and overcrowded.

I lived in Philadelphia suburb areas near Phoenixville I enjoyed the area when I was young during the summers/winter. Loved the mall and the National Park near by. Weather was okay same winter like CT. Felt was near Philadelphia, D.C., NYC, and Baltimore. Also near other areas like Lancaster County, Delaware shore, and near the Maryland/Delaware border a beautiful flower/garden place can't recall the name think Longwood Gardens. Going to Philly remember the zoo, food, and historical attractions. Remember traffic was a pain though. Can't recall of many colleges or universities in the area.

Richmond most family lives in NOVA area and not the central area of VA. I heard living is cheap and they have changed the city greatly over the years. Not sure about the weather, traffic, food, history, outdoor activities, and higher education opportunities in Richmond. Not sure how it would compare to the other areas.

Like Boston suburb areas known a lot of people move out that way. However, feel weather gets worse farther you move North, there is more traffic, and higher cost of living. However, near a lot of great outdoor areas, near a slew of museums/aquarium/zoos, and historical locations. Good location of colleges and hospitals.

Rochester just a random city we threw in because we just watched a recent House Hunting show that constantly showed people moving up to Rochester. Outside of winter the area looks pretty and near some amazing outdoor options. Additionally, good colleges and cheap property cost. The winter sounds brutal and harsh.

Appreciate the feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 08:36 AM

93,191 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsThatTime View Post
Philadelphia.
^This or Richmond, especially given that you aren't a fan of cold weather.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:40 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Why on earth would you choose Boston or Philly if you're complaining that the Hartford, CT area is overcrowded?! The Hartford metro area is small overall. Richmond and Rochester metros are similar. For cost of living, Rochester is the best....better than Richmond, even despite of higher NY taxes. I've been to both cities, however, and they are both nice areas.

Also, Boston is much more expensive than greater Hartford, and Philly is about the same as greater Hartford.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:54 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,109,824 times
Do you think you could add just a few more cities into this question?

Old 06-27-2016, 01:36 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Rochester just a random city we threw in because we just watched a recent House Hunting show that constantly showed people moving up to Rochester. Outside of winter the area looks pretty and near some amazing outdoor options. Additionally, good colleges and cheap property cost. The winter sounds brutal and harsh.
Yes, it is. My first visit was a couple weeks ago. I was floored. All I knew was Rochester was on Lake Ontario. I wasn't aware how the city is surrounded by a bay, lakes (including the Finger Lakes), and rivers. An hour drive to the best state park in America, Letchworth.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:55 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,090,351 times
There is a very high number of top-tier colleges and universities in Philadelphia and its suburbs. Also quite a few excellent hospitals in the city and some decent ones in the suburbs. As for museums, etc., I would suggest that the Philadelphia region ranks very high in that regard as well. All of this without being grossly overpriced liked some of the other areas you mentioned.

What kinds of jobs are you looking for?

Old 06-27-2016, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
There is a very high number of top-tier colleges and universities in Philadelphia and its suburbs. Also quite a few excellent hospitals in the city and some decent ones in the suburbs. As for museums, etc., I would suggest that the Philadelphia region ranks very high in that regard as well. All of this without being grossly overpriced liked some of the other areas you mentioned.

What kinds of jobs are you looking for?
Nursing

Old 06-27-2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Yes, it is. My first visit was a couple weeks ago. I was floored. All I knew was Rochester was on Lake Ontario. I wasn't aware how the city is surrounded by a bay, lakes (including the Finger Lakes), and rivers. An hour drive to the best state park in America, Letchworth.
I think I love the area, but be miserable during the winter

Old 06-28-2016, 08:27 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
If you want warmer/less severe winters, plenty to do, a lower cost of living, good job opportunities, easy access to other big cities, higher education access and relative proximity to family in Northern Virginia why not consider the Baltimore area???

Old 06-28-2016, 01:10 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsThatTime View Post
^^^^

There is no better bargain than the Philadelphia area in the entire country when all things are considered.

Access to world class universities, museums, hospitals, history, food, culture, sports, NYC, DC, four seasons, affordability, nature, etc.

The Main Line area of Philadelphia suburbs is second to none.
This is true. Housing in the greater Philly area is not that expensive. it's even cheaper than anywhere in the entire state of Connecticut. I've never been to Philly though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.